Any Vocaloid fans on this forum?

Ringworm128

Anyone else here listen to Vocaloid?

I really like the Vocaloid fanbase as they have made so much music, artwork and other things.

Here are some good songs IMO.

Japanese.

Go Google It.

Double Lariat.

Toeto.

Butterfly on Your Right Shoulder

Odds and Ends.

Melt.

English.

I Still Want U.

Pitch Black Refrain.

Night of The Magic.

I know it's generalizing but the Vocaloid fandom just strikes me as a little too creepy for me to actually enjoy the music.
I know what you mean, the weeaboo side of the fandom does show but there is a better side to the fandom that nobody ever sees. I go on a Vocaloid forum that loves to give crap to the weeaboo side of the fandom. But I do find it disheartening that pretty much anyone who looks up Vocaloid will be greeted with comments saying things like "it's so kawaii" or "Len is sexy". And that could give a lot of people the wrong idea about Vocaloid.

As a vocalist myself, I'd have to say that the biggest reason she sounds fake is because most producers don't emulate many nuances that exist in human singing. There are a handful that do, and I have to say that the effect is pretty damned convincing.

As an example,

Whoa, she inhales at the end of her lines!

That's the problem I have a lot when trying to sing Vocaloid songs. Rather than have the Vocalids sing 'naturally', people design their songs to only work in that "infinite breath" sort of style. Which is fine sometimes, but...

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here are a couple examples, both by wowaka:

and

...Well, what do you know. According to the comments on the first link I posted, wowaka designed it to be unsingable. Hah.

See, I'm on the opposite end of that. I've acknowledged that Vocaloid is a synthesizer; it is only proper that it be used as such, be that to achieve either realistic or ridiculous effect.

Incidentally, I love both of those songs (I just don't try to sing along with them).

Hatsune Miku and Meiko get my votes for the better vocal qualities or at least have received more justice in the songs I find on Youtube. I even attempted to do a cover of 'Ievan Polkka', taking the Miku vocals on it and attempted to sing it. It was a nightmare and all the auto-tuning/bit-crushing barely saved me.

On that note, Vocaloid has obviously been geared for Japanese diction, and english diction/phonetics is hard as balls to conceive. However, a vocal synthesizer is an amazing concept and definitely is a step in removing the block that is 'I don't have a singer' for most songwriters/composers/musicians/everyday-people-who-wanna-write-music.

-ddM

I really enjoy vocaloid, as much as it feels weird to admit that. It's one of those fandoms like Homestuck or MLP: some of the fans can make you not want anything to do with it, but the more you explore what there is to offer the more you enjoy it. It's great creative music for when I'm writing, because normally I can't listen to vocals or talking while typing. It doesn't matter so much when I can't understand the language.

I like Miku, Luka, Gakupo and Gumi...but there isn't as much for the latter. People are Miku-crazy. They're also Len/Rin-crazy, which means that they're used for a lot of songs that just do not fit the voices (it's hard to find a good fit for Len). Kaito is kind of a bad voice bank, but they've used his voice in a lot of good songs.

My favorite tunes:

Lilith Electro

Last Night, Good Night

Magnet

Canary

Black Rock Shooter

Cantarella

Cendrillon

Imitation Black

Chocolate Train

Looking For

Blue Color

Cradle of Destiny

Meconopsis Betonicifolia

Bonus track: apparently there's even a Corridors of Time vocaloid remix, done by Kamui Gakupo. Because that tune hasn't been around the block a few times before.

I got into vocaloid a few years ago after someone showed me that Miku and co. "live" light/projection/hologram thing, but I've stopped listening to them as much as I used to. I've still got my favorites like Cremation Melody, Levan Polkka and Electic Angel though.

hmm, guess I'm in the minority for this. i actually love vocaloid, i just don't like some of the fandom's response to it. a classmate introduced it to me and I was shaking my head in amazement ever since.

I don't think it's even close to replacing live singers, but I'm attracted to the artificial sound for some reason.

definitely on my wishlist for the near future.:puppyeyes:

I like Miku, Luka, Gakupo and Gumi...but there isn't as much for the latter. People are Miku-crazy. They're also Len/Rin-crazy, which means that they're used for a lot of songs that just do not fit the voices (it's hard to find a good fit for Len). Kaito is kind of a bad voice bank, but they've used his voice in a lot of good songs.

Yeah, people are definitely nuts for Miku and Len/Rin. I'm not the biggest vocaloid listener myself, but prior to Miku's update and subsequent all-around improvement in her voice bank, I always thought Luka sounded better for a lot of things. Not all, of course.

Luka's still my favorite overall, though.