OCR00578 - Life Force "Pharoah Land"

orkybash

Life Force 'Pharoah Land'

What can I say? I'm a sucker for mixing techno and orchestral instruments, and this got the mixture right. Well, almost right. The drums are way to quiet for my taste - would add a lot to to the mix if they were mixed louder, IMHO. Also, the two breaks of silence are REALLY unnecessary. Dropouts are cool when done right, but these just serve to interrupt the slow in the mix and don't add anything at all. And WTF was up with that ending? Just sounded like it came out of nowhere - there's seriously no clues that this song is winding down unless you happen to be looking at WinAmp's seek bar. But I've criticized the mix enough - this really *is* very enjoyable, and well worth a download.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, funny story.

This was an experimental version, and I had submitted it thinking with all the confidence my little brain could muster that it was the version where there were no breaks... well, nothing so extreme and pointless. But evidently, it wasn't. I petitioned to have this mix removed, especially since it had been two, maybe three months, and this was the first song of mine to get posted. Actually, I was pissed (yeah, I'll admit it) that this was the first song people had to equate with me, rather than Aphrodite Oceanus. But ah well, c'est la vie. With every song you make, you climb one more rung up that bitch-ass ladder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
Yeah, funny story.

Actually, I was pissed (yeah, I'll admit it) that this was the first song people had to equate with me, rather than Aphrodite Oceanus.

Dont worry, I dont look up the name of the people who make songs that I dont like and your first song will always be Aphrodite Oceanus to me! :nicework:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

For the first 3 seconds or so I swore that this was a "Land Unknown" mix from FF5. The theme is exact for that time.

This is pretty crazy. There's almost too much going on at once here. The stops are ubrupt, but been covered by Wingless, so while not alright, understandable.

Overall, there's a ton of potential in this, and it would be cool if Wingless redid this someday.

• 2 months later...

The Wingless has made loads of great tracks. This is one of the less than awesome, more than good ones. Something about how the strings first come in reminded me of 80's music, might be something in the strings' sound.

It's an interesting blend of electronica and sampled stuff, certainly worth being on people's playlists. It's not the finest, but it's Wingless. A little long and repetitive, but there's much to enjoy in it.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I normally love Wingless's work, but bleh... this just withers down to nothingness when compared to his other work. In hindsight this has a lot to live up to and falls short. Even with a name cool like Pharaoh Land (anyone else notice that "Pharaoh" is misspelled?), it doesn't live up to it.

Considering this is Wingless's first submission, that would explain a lot, but I wouldn't recommend this.

I dunno, I'm not as averse to this one as a lot of other reviewers have been. I still think The Wingless at his worst is still pretty decent, and it shows here. The arrangement's repetitive but passable and the samples, likewise, aren't great but they don't sound particularly offensive. I would have liked to see some other instruments aside from just the strings thrown in, but it's not a bad mix, I don't think.

Still, it's undeniable how much he's improved since then... his later mixes are really stellar and completely blow this debut effort out of the water.

• 1 year later...

I like how busy this feels. For me, even the pauses work, in a peculiar way. It's a bit like playing a game of red light green light. Gotcha! The unexpectedly long sustain at 2:25 works the same way.

I don't get the problems people have with the ending. Explosion, then echoes of the opening. Oh well.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00578 - Life Force "Pharoah Land"
  • 2 months later...

Those string articulations... :-D Well, what can ya do? When you hear of the phenomena of ReMixers wanting their first mix pulled, it's understandable, but I like that it's here so that other aspiring artists realize that God-tier artists start off as beginners just like everyone else. Wing's more than made up for this one.

Love the source tune though, and hope others try it down the line here.