Lightning Returns (Final Fantasy XIII-3)

AngelCityOutlaw

I guess SE feels they haven't made enough FF13 spinoffs, because we all know how popular that game was. I could kind of see if they kept making FF4 games or moved to something like FF6 or FF8 since those were both pretty popular, but nope. FF13, because they already have a lot of models, textures and motion capture they can re-use. It's like how there's four Shrek movies, or three Open Season movies, because once you've already rigged those models and scenery pieces/textures, it's cheaper to produce the rest of the movie.

Say hello to the new, AAA-title shovelware. Except they're not targeting kids, they're targeting the people who will buy anything SE makes.

• 1 year later...

I was thinking of pre-ordering this right now even though it comes out in a couple days, just wanna get dem bonuses. Games costing over $60 kinda bums me out, but it's been so long since I bought a game new and I think Square-Enix REALLY needs this to stay afloat, so I was thinking of getting it... what do you guys think? I still need to finish/play FF13 and FF13-2. :o

i do genuinely hope they can float the ship again. the world really does need more JRPG games that dont suck. I mean actually good games, and not something aimed at otakus who want cliche'd characters and tired gameplay. As much as people like to poke fun to square, they were pretty much THE people to go to for interesting role playing games in the 90s. in fact most things made before that ENIX merger were good.

Yeah too many sequels and HD remasters, they need to get back to releasing fresh Final Fantasy games..

I do want to play MURDERED: SOUL SUSPECT and I literally just remembered I already pre-ordered and paid for THIEF which comes out in like 6 days so *shrug*

Nobody can say I ain't doing my part to support the Squeen.

ff13 and 13-2 were fun to play and anyone who tells you differently is a huge gaming snob

there are tons of people who liked the series, both games sold well, and lightning returns is the 5th best selling video game item on amazon right now, beaten by three different types of playstation prepaid cards and bravely default.

seems to me the only people who don't like the series are "true final fantasy fans."

durr

Edited by The Derrit

Wow, I forgot I was the one who created this thread. Perhaps we should change the title to just "Lightning Returns" since it's out on Tuesday.

ff13 and 13-2 were fun to play and anyone who tells you differently is a huge gaming snob

there are tons of people who liked the series, both games sold well, and lightning returns is the 5th best selling video game item on amazon right now, beaten by three different types of playstation prepaid cards and bravely default.

seems to me the only people who don't like the series are "true final fantasy fans."

durr

I don't think it's that they weren't fun to play, it's just a lot of people didn't find them fun to play to the very end. I got about 75% of the way through the first XIII and to the final boss in XIII-2 and honestly at that point I was just bored with the games. They were fun while they lasted, but there is no way I would have paid $60 or more for either of them. Which is why even though this game looks better than when it was first announced, if I do get it, it will be used or until it drops in price.

i do genuinely hope they can float the ship again. the world really does need more JRPG games that dont suck. I mean actually good games, and not something aimed at otakus who want cliche'd characters and tired gameplay. As much as people like to poke fun to square, they were pretty much THE people to go to for interesting role playing games in the 90s. in fact most things made before that ENIX merger were good.

most things ENIX made before the merger were also good

what's your point

FF13 had potential...it just took too long to really get to a "fun" point in the game. It had great music, sound, and visuals. I felt like a few of the characters were really poorly done overall though which hurt the game. I haven't even played FF13-2 yet, but from what I heard it is one huge apology for the first game :P.

I think overall FF13 was an okay game, but when it is placed up against other FF games it just falls flat. It's probably the worst one I have played, but that doesn't necessarily make it a terrible game.

Ok this is a conversation that I think is permanently tinged with nostalgia. That, and Square stopped hiding how linear FF games are. What? The old FF games are linear? Well, let's have a look at FFIV. You basically go where your told until you get the airship, then you can do a minimal amount of exploring, but the "side quests" that exist don't open up till you open up the underworld a second time, you can go talk to the people but they won't start it for you. Also, there's not a whole lot to do outside of go to Eblan and try and get the giant axe outta the basement while running like a girl from much stronger monsters. Really the game disguises it's "eternal hallway" for the first 15-20 hours when it suddenly opens up, and that's if you haven't done a ton of grinding.

FFVI? Hey look at this, there are a couple points where instead of going down one long, carefully disguised hallway, you get to choose the order of which you do 3!!! Basically the same story, this one however you get the airship a little later, lose it, then have to go through just a couple hallways to get it again, this time the game busts wide-open when you get it and the amount of content you can choose to see or skip is impressive. But still, you're a full 20ish hours away from that.

FFVII? Hmm this last run through it took me 6 hours to get through midgar, I've played another 7 hours and the only side things I've done are get Vincent and Yuffie, However they where basically on my way through the story and outside of them there's not much to do besides back track to do an early pre-tower-defense mini-game.

How about X? Hey look at that, 10-15 hours till you really get the world to open up.

XIII? Well, it said, fuck this, and showed us what we've been playing, a long hallway. Only this time they decided not to disguise it and removed towns.

Honestly I really enjoyed XIII, and I found it's combat to be the most difficult in the series and the most rewarding at the same time. I also find the intense backlash against it to be sort of hilarious, but at this point I think that's just the internet.

Is it perfect? No, not even close. But outside of wanting to choke a whiny teenager who just watched his mother fall to her death a couple days ago, it's pretty solid. The characters are ok, a few great a few not-so much. Great music, solid gameplay.... I enjoy it.

I still haven't played XIII-2 I think I'll order that this week.

Just played the demo for LR:XIII-3 and I honestly love the combat and the changes to the game. I'm interested in seeing how it does. Also the dressphere like system is not bad at all.

Oh, I guess I could point out that I really liked XI-2 as well so maybe I'm just a heretic.

Ok this is a conversation that I think is permanently tinged with nostalgia. That, and Square stopped hiding how linear FF games are. What? The old FF games are linear? Well, let's have a look at FFIV. You basically go where your told until you get the airship, then you can do a minimal amount of exploring, but the "side quests" that exist don't open up till you open up the underworld a second time, you can go talk to the people but they won't start it for you. Also, there's not a whole lot to do outside of go to Eblan and try and get the giant axe outta the basement while running like a girl from much stronger monsters. Really the game disguises it's "eternal hallway" for the first 15-20 hours when it suddenly opens up, and that's if you haven't done a ton of grinding.

FFVI? Hey look at this, there are a couple points where instead of going down one long, carefully disguised hallway, you get to choose the order of which you do 3!!! Basically the same story, this one however you get the airship a little later, lose it, then have to go through just a couple hallways to get it again, this time the game busts wide-open when you get it and the amount of content you can choose to see or skip is impressive. But still, you're a full 20ish hours away from that.

FFVII? Hmm this last run through it took me 6 hours to get through midgar, I've played another 7 hours and the only side things I've done are get Vincent and Yuffie, However they where basically on my way through the story and outside of them there's not much to do besides back track to do an early pre-tower-defense mini-game.

How about X? Hey look at that, 10-15 hours till you really get the world to open up.

XIII? Well, it said, fuck this, and showed us what we've been playing, a long hallway. Only this time they decided not to disguise it and removed towns.

Honestly I really enjoyed XIII, and I found it's combat to be the most difficult in the series and the most rewarding at the same time. I also find the intense backlash against it to be sort of hilarious, but at this point I think that's just the internet.

Is it perfect? No, not even close. But outside of wanting to choke a whiny teenager who just watched his mother fall to her death a couple days ago, it's pretty solid. The characters are ok, a few great a few not-so much. Great music, solid gameplay.... I enjoy it.

I still haven't played XIII-2 I think I'll order that this week.

Just played the demo for LR:XIII-3 and I honestly love the combat and the changes to the game. I'm interested in seeing how it does. Also the dressphere like system is not bad at all.

Oh, I guess I could point out that I really liked XI-2 as well so maybe I'm just a heretic.

Any game that has a plot with a beginning, middle and end will have linear gameplay to some extent - this is obvious. You can make the same argument regarding Final Fantasy and apply it to any other "open world" game.

While the eternal flames of war about whether the linearity of FF-XIII was good or bad burn on, I think both factions should be able to agree that the addition of open-world gameplay from past FFs in FF XIII would not have been a bad thing and could have only made the game better if you already enjoyed the linear chapters.

No, what I meant was that those games, instead of an actual hallway like XIII had, you'd have a valley with impassible mountain walls or a river, that literally corralled you from event to event till you eventually unlocked an airship and freedom. One thing I see brought up against XIII constantly is the hallways (which it is quite literally 20-30 hours of hallways) but the fact is the old games where very similar, they just hid it.

That said I do think opening it up, even disguising it would have been far better.

This really isn't the "complain about FF13" thread. FF13: Lightning Returns is actually a huge improvement on the series and if you haven't played the demo yet, you should check it out.

edit: Sorry if that sounded harsh, it's just that FF13:LR Demo was really good, and the game looks SUPER promising.. you can have your opinion about how bad or good FF13 is but that discussion is beyond the scope of the LR thread.. I wasn't trying to mini-mod or anything, just hoping people could keep a positive attitude towards LR, with it coming out tomorrow, and being so promising.

Edited by Brandon Strader

Final Fantasy XIII & XIII-2 were pretty great for a variety of reasons, from the combat system to the world design/graphics(graphics more so FFXIII) to the music. If the demo is anything to go by, Lightning Returns(dammit why not FFXIII-3) looks to be the legitimate best gameplay-wise.

With Bravely Default, FFXIII-3, FFXIV 2.2, and FFX/X-2 Remaster, and several other things later this year, this is definitely the year of Square Enix/Final Fantasy.

This really isn't the "complain about FF13" thread. FF13: Lightning Returns is actually a huge improvement on the series and if you haven't played the demo yet, you should check it out.

edit: Sorry if that sounded harsh, it's just that FF13:LR Demo was really good, and the game looks SUPER promising.. you can have your opinion about how bad or good FF13 is but that discussion is beyond the scope of the LR thread.. I wasn't trying to mini-mod or anything, just hoping people could keep a positive attitude towards LR, with it coming out tomorrow, and being so promising.

i need to get that demo for the extra outfits. how long is it?

i need to get that demo for the extra outfits. how long is it?

Honestly, it was really, really short. You watch an amazing opening CGI, you battle some monsters and learn about the basic monster field system, battle system is amazing.. but for the most part, you run through a bunch of hallways and get to the end, fight a boss, and that's it. :-)

But yeah, the hallway has a lot of turns in it, it's not just one straight hallway. You can RUN with a run button, you can jump.. It's pretty sweet.

Either Amazon screwed up and shipped the games out without the preorder bonuses, or they got so many preorders it's just taking them a long time.. but this stuff should either be automated or included IN the package when you preorder a game. Ridiculous! I'm gonna play through as female Cloud if they fix this issue. :x

Either Amazon screwed up and shipped the games out without the preorder bonuses, or they got so many preorders it's just taking them a long time.. but this stuff should either be automated or included IN the package when you preorder a game. Ridiculous! I'm gonna play through as female Cloud if they fix this issue. :x

they send it to you through email. sometimes it takes a day or two.

it'll come.

they send it to you through email. sometimes it takes a day or two.

it'll come.

I had sent them a support email about it, and they looked into it and said it was a bugger and sent me the codes.. so if anyone else has that issue, you might have to do that. *SHRUG* Or just wait it out and see if they come in. But from my experience with Amazon pre-orders, they usually send the code immediately, same day :-o Heck, I usually get them before the item even arrives when it's release day. That's what happened when I got AC4:Black Flag