DKC Aqua Ambiance Remix

noTuX

• 2 weeks later...

Bump!

Finally knocked this one out and it is available for download (for whoever is interested).

I'm dedicating this mix to a good friend of mine, so that is why it has the strange title. LOL.

Anyway, check it out!

https://soundcloud.com/user7666413/dkc-i-lese-blue-trap

Thanks

Edited by Blue Magic

No responses to this one yet? I like it a lot! The ambient water noises around 2:00 are really cool, they add a lot of texture. I'd say adding a few more instruments fading in and out of the main melody would help the progression of the song, as it does kind of blend right now, but I quite enjoyed it as-is!

Really appreciate it!

No responses to this one yet? I like it a lot! The ambient water noises around 2:00 are really cool, they add a lot of texture. I'd say adding a few more instruments fading in and out of the main melody would help the progression of the song, as it does kind of blend right now, but I quite enjoyed it as-is!

I did add a guitar and a violin in a previous draft, but I found that things were starting to get a little cluttered, so I just made it simple. Also, my poor computer was giving me fits when I tried to add more instruments to this mix for some reason. Normally, it can handle whatever I do in FL Studio, but it has been acting strange ever since I updated my sound card drivers.

Guess it's about time to upgrade...

But anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Pretty good work here. 2 Suggestions:

1)Could use some sub bass. Simple, sine wave, sub bass. I know one of your kicks have it, but they come few and far between and don't stay around very long. Adding this would definitely kick this mix up several notches.

2)Drums could use a little more variation. The only change up I noticed was at 2:21. Not talking about huge fills all over the place, but like muting the kick on it's first down beat during various parts would really add a lot. Little things.

Pretty good work here. 2 Suggestions:

1)Could use some sub bass. Simple, sine wave, sub bass. I know one of your kicks have it, but they come few and far between and don't stay around very long. Adding this would definitely kick this mix up several notches.

2)Drums could use a little more variation. The only change up I noticed was at 2:21. Not talking about huge fills all over the place, but like muting the kick on it's first down beat during various parts would really add a lot. Little things.

Definitely understand your points. This was initially going to be sort of a dub-step remix, but I ended up making it more ambient (mainly because the person I was making it for hates dub step).

Good news is, I've decided change the status back to "Work in Progress" and I'll work on a second version with everyone's comments in mind.

I don't think I'll submit it to OCR since we have a shit ton of Aqua Ambiance remixes already, but may try to get it posted on VGMix (if I ever get a beta invite).

Definitely understand your points. This was initially going to be sort of a dub-step remix, but I ended up making it more ambient (mainly because the person I was making it for hates dub step).

I was under that impression because your drums definitely sound more punchy and clubby than they do ambient or chill. It's also why I suggest if you want it to sound more chill (aside from replacing the drums to ones that aren't as aggressive sounding) to just use a simple sounding bass, and loooong sustaining bass notes.

Of course if you want it more dubsteppy you'd use a filthy bass and wubwubwuwbuwbuwbuwbwubwubwubwubwuwbuwbwub the shit out of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: https://soundcloud.com/user7666413/dkc-i-lese-blue-trap

I decided not to go with a dub-step remix, but instead, kind of a trap remix (since it seems more fitting).

I still have to add more variations to the drumwork and the bass, and I will be adding some more embellishments here and there to keep things fresh.

Edited by Blue Magic

mmmmm !!

If you're interested, I wanna offer you my drumming services. I dunno if you plan on beefing up their sounds, but they do sound a little soft and weak (particularly the kick).

But the track gels so much with that bass. Will eagerly wait for next update.

Thanks Skrypnyk. I understand what you mean about the drums. I have been working on them and I've come up with something that a little better in this update.

I love your drumwork and I'll definitely give you a shout for a future project, but for now, I want to do this one solo. It's kind of a learning experience for me since I have alot of trouble with EQing and stuff.

UPDATE (almost there!): https://soundcloud.com/user7666413/dkc-i-lese-blue-trap-3-10

The drumwork has been changed quite a bit and they are a bit stronger. I have also made some changes to the EQing and mastering and added a few things here and there.

Hmm, this is a pretty obscure source, eh? ;-)

I think the beginning is a bit sudden, you could lead into the song a bit more. You're a posted mixer and you obviously have a grasp on what you are doing here. Nothing seems too out of place. There's some strange bleeding with the sub bass sometimes, and personally I think it'd be interesting to hear it as more of a sub -- that is to say, it's quite loud. QUITE loud. You could lower it, and put a more normal / mid-based bass layered with it. It's a personal thought, but I do think that loud sub bass needs to be looked into. There's definitely a clash at 1:37 with the sub bass note, which is repeated elsewhere. It's a long piece that doesn't really build up to a crescendo but it is enjoyable. It may be worth trying to put some variations in there as you go along, make it seem less repetitive. Some dynamic variance perhaps. Good work, and you don't HAVE to keep this from OCR just because it has been done here a lot - it's not about what everyone else is doing, it's about what you want to do, and you clearly want to do this (as you've already done it)! Don't neglect the OCR audience for those reasons. :-) It will be cool to see if you return to this one, and I'll check it out on VGMix if you go that route.

Hmm, this is a pretty obscure source, eh? ;-)

I think the beginning is a bit sudden, you could lead into the song a bit more. You're a posted mixer and you obviously have a grasp on what you are doing here. Nothing seems too out of place. There's some strange bleeding with the sub bass sometimes, and personally I think it'd be interesting to hear it as more of a sub -- that is to say, it's quite loud. QUITE loud. You could lower it, and put a more normal / mid-based bass layered with it. It's a personal thought, but I do think that loud sub bass needs to be looked into.

As far as the loudness of the sub, that is kind of the "trap music" style. It's not my normal thing, but it seems more fitting for this particular remix.

There's definitely a clash at 1:37 with the sub bass note, which is repeated elsewhere.

For the life of me, I can't seem to hear the clashing or the bleeding. I tried to make sure the sub wouldn't be in the way of my other instruments like the kick, and I made sure the notes weren't overlapping in the sequencer. Now, I do have some percussion elements in the background that you might be hearing. Does it sound like a little bit of static?

Good work, and you don't HAVE to keep this from OCR just because it has been done here a lot - it's not about what everyone else is doing, it's about what you want to do, and you clearly want to do this (as you've already done it)! Don't neglect the OCR audience for those reasons. :-) It will be cool to see if you return to this one, and I'll check it out on VGMix if you go that route.

Thanks man. Oh, I'm certainly not trying to neglect the OCR audience, but this source has been covered (very, very well) by more talented artist and I don't think this is OCR worthy (yeah, I'm way more harsh on my music than the judges are). And besides, I have three other projects in the works for OCR. :wink:

If I do come back to this remix, hopefully, I will have the skills to play some of it live, and not have to sequence everything. Also, I will have a guitarist replacing some of those synths. But for now, I'll be focusing on album projects and finishing my old Mario Kart WIP.

The note at 1:37 was clashing more due to what note it was rather than the EQ or anything. It sounded like an 'augmented note' and it would probably be fine if you brought it down in pitch one half step. That's the only reason it sounds like it clashes right there, because of the pitch.

I do recommend layering in a bass with an actual tone though. I tried playing this through my TV just because I was lazy before plopping my good headphones on, and the bass is not there at all on a system that doesn't play sub bass. :-P

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see you finished this. Unfortunately, I still have some grips with it, mainly about the drums.

Despite you having some fillers in various spots, of which sound awesome, as a whole they still come off as repetitive if only because you played them through out the entire mix (minus 2:22). Dropping the hats for a part, losing the kick in the intro, varying up the pattern in some sections to something completely different could have saved this tremendously.

and for a little nit-picky stuff, I don't think the hats really needed reverb, or at least not a noticeable amount.

Good effort, and good luck on future endeavours

Yeah, I don't think the drums fit the mood at all. It's like you're trying to match hip hop drums with chill/downtempo. The 808 stuff isn't actually working.

Aside from that, repetitive, but decent soundscape going on. Sync lead feels awkward panned left rather than center. I didn't hear anything significant panned right while the sync lead played.

• 2 years later...

@noTuX Did you take @Blue Magic's piece and remix it more?  Or use his mix as an influence and did your own thing?  Blue's mix isn't available anymore.

Gave it a listen, overall it sounds good, I'm thinking a little less is more in some sections (i.e. remove more drum samples or the bass arp in the middle section, re-introduce them later) but I don't have any major criticism on this, thumbs up.

13 hours ago, Skrypnyk said:

@noTuX Did you take @Blue Magic's piece and remix it more?  Or use his mix as an influence and did your own thing?  Blue's mix isn't available anymore.

Gave it a listen, overall it sounds good, I'm thinking a little less is more in some sections (i.e. remove more drum samples or the bass arp in the middle section, re-introduce them later) but I don't have any major criticism on this, thumbs up.

I am Blue Magic, but I retired the name (long story) and took down alot of my old songs on SoundCloud.  I'll eventually post the old stuff back up somewhere, but for now I'm working on improving a few of my mixes that I did, but wasn't planning on submitting, and releasing some new stuff.

Thanks for the advice.  Dropping some of the drum samples out is a good idea. I'll probably make a few final adjustments when i get off from work.