DuckTales Remastered: WOO-OO! (It's out! GO DUCKING GET IT!)

KyleJCrb

Gamespot blasted this game in their review. Doubt it can be that bad since the NES version is AWESOME. 77 metacritic overall score so far. Wanna get it but want to see what some of you guys have to say about it first.

From what I read is basically said: "The game that was supposed to be a remake of the original, is a remake of the original except worse because cutscenes, too".

The cutscenes are an understanding gripe, but I think they add depth even if they do break up the action a big. The came should probably have a "classic" mode with no cutscenes at all.

Other than that complaining about the lack of difficulty, unforgiving chance circumstances, predictable boss fights...I mean...were you expecting a new game or a remake of the original?

I'm not saying that EXCUSES the score. Some things just don't translate well, but I'd rather play a remake of a game that had all of the original's flaws and charm than not having the remake at all.

If you liked Duck Tales the original, you will most likely love this (if not for the music alone, around here).

Edited by Ramaniscence

Got home, downloaded the Wii U version. So far, it's exceeded my expectations. I figured wayforward would do a job. So far, I've beaten the intro/vault stage and the moon. A few things I noticed that are different, I mean obviously the graphics and sound which are done really well. The voice acting really does a nice job explaining everything out. The levels are also notably longer, I think the moon stage took me over 30 minutes to beat, although I'm a bit of a completionist and turned everything over looking for treasure.

I don't want to spoil it, but they expand on a lot of things: Gizmoduck is cool when you finally set him free. He helps you blow shit up all over the place instead of just that one little barrier. Also you can dive in your vault like on the cartoon...and....the bosses take way more hits so get ready, at least on medium difficulty - the default is easy.

So far I'm really enjoying it. I beat the original game at a birthday party when I was a little kid, so this game is really important to me and I like what they've done with it. I hope lots of people buy this game and that Capcom continues the remakes, especially if Wayforward is involved. Now off to finish game and try to get something good on the leaderboards before it gets taken over.

I have no issues with the cutscenes as you can easily skip them.

The little cutscenes make the levels feel like an episode of DuckTales.

I liked the added tweaks to the levels and the bosses.

I already passed Extreme Mode. All I gotta do is get the rest of the art and an achievement or two and I'll be done.

Great game overall and I do like virt slipping the melody of the Moon theme in as many places as he could.

Yeah I'm not too sold on this game aside from the music. The 3D environments look downright lazy and clash with the 2D characters (which are nicely animated, though). It's obviously not fair to compare an indie remake with something like Rayman Legends, but well... there are better modern 2D platformers out there.

I thought that at first by looking at trailers. The problem is most of the trailers seem to show the stupid new intro level (Scrooge's Bank) which has some ugly background art. Most of the other levels have pretty nice art in the background (some even 2D parallax), especially the outside parts of Transylvania. All the 2D sprites are amazing. I would of preferred the entire game being 2D but it still looks nice

It is a really nice game, the only complaints I'd have with it is Scrooge's constant comments are too often, really repetitive, and constantly lower the music's volume :/ Other than that I found it to be a highly enjoyable game and a very nice remake of one of my favorite classics. Every level feeling like an episode of the show and the amazing touches they put on the boss fights are pretty nice.

EDIT:

Well, I take it back, I have some complaints on the technical side which hopefully will be patched up:

on PC: Sprites seem to randomly stop displaying / flicker in and out. Sometimes the game hiccups for a few moments in menus for some reason

on Console: Looking at complaints on the Miiverse, the Wii U version of the game will sometimes crash while saving, especially if you try to pull up Miiverse beforehand. Might be issues on other console versions of the game too

Hopefully will be fixed in patches. A shame the game was released like this though

Edited by Crowbar Man