Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

To keep things fair for Brandon, and give us more than one thing to vote on this week, we could vote on it.

That's true. I probably won't be in the next Darkness round, if you heard what evktalo just brought to the table.

I was going to just have DarkeSword pick it, but a vote may be funner.

I'll add a thread for voting for the tune along with the thread for voting for Eino Keskitalo.

Eino Keskitalo - Katumus

First of all, the groove&beat is pretty catchy... I really like the drum&synth programming. The bulk of the song is solid. Drums seem to be pretty much on autopilot though. Granted, there are some fills here and there and a section after the 2 minute mark in which the beat slows down, I liked that.

Save for a few dissonant parts, such as at 1:14 and 1:30, the leads sit pretty well together.

Arrangement-wise I think it's a very interesting and creative take on the themes, you took especially Lulu's theme in an unexpected direction. I would've liked to hear Hope's theme a bit more clearly, though. I think it's because of the chord changes and slight melodic alterations that it's left a little vague, at least for me.

To sum it up, additional chord usage&variety in the groove could have spiced the song up, but it's very creative&solid as is. :)

Brandon Strader - Ivory

There's nothing wrong with this per se, the sound is pleasant and stuff but because of the simplistic arrangement it feels kinda shallow. It doesn't take any risks or integrate the themes in any way, it's just a melody after another for the most part. It ends pretty suddenly, too.

Brandon, silly lazy butt you. :razz:

Edited by RiverSound

Thanks for the review RiverSound! I agree with everything you said. Thanks especially for pointing out the dissonant parts. I felt I didn't get the harmony quite right.

Hope's theme has been transposed up a little to the same key as Lulu's; the mode (modality, somethingsomething) is also changed to fit, and the melody is changed to to fit the chord changes in Lulu's A part. It's not nearly as recognizable as I'd have liked (plus, the dissonance..), but I hope it at least a little bit Hope-ful.

Yeah, there was much copy-paste. I do intend to continue working on the piece, so there shall be varying up the beat to a satisfying degree. The structure also needs some more work, the last section doesn't quite flow as well as it should. Thanks again for the criticism + the compliments as well!

--Eino

That's true. I probably won't be in the next Darkness round, if you heard what evktalo just brought to the table.

I was going to just have DarkeSword pick it, but a vote may be funner.

I'll add a thread for voting for the tune along with the thread for voting for Eino Keskitalo.

That's probably a bad idea.

For the sake of fairness in these competitions, everybody should find out what they're supposed to remix at the same time.

If you have a public voting thread for the next track, people in the Darkness Bracket can just watch that thread and see what theme is most likely going to win and then start their remix early.

If you want people to pick the Darkness Bracket track for round 3, have them PM you their suggestions. Or stick to your original plan and have someone who isn't you choose the theme, which is probably the best, considering you're in the Darkness Bracket and can potentially be tasked with mixing in the upcoming round.

Edited by DarkeSword

Brandon

Love it! So groovy with some emotional noodling and tidbits. Feels like a piano piece for an anime than spans several scenes. I will be listening to this again. :)

Eino Keskitalo

So creative and groovy dude. A totally different kind of groovy than Brandon's track. Feels like such a cohesive track. My only gripe is that the sounds are very biting and ooze attitude. Which is great! But their texture is constant throughout the whole track. A little more variation in texture and percussion program would be nice. 2:52 could use some variation on the percussion to enhance the climax.

Chimpazilla

Nice! Feels like a christmas song with the lil barbershop vocal cues. Puts a smile on my face.

Chernabogue

Lots of character and groove. Hell all of the tracks this week are groovy. Enjoyable little ragtime romp. What is most impressive these two themes actually sound like 1 cohesive song. Your theme and style choices also matched the sources nicely.

Brandon: Dammit man. This piano tone is gorgeous. You can really play. The track is more medley than remix. If you had spent more than ten minutes at 11:30pm you would have really made something nice. Whai, oh whai Big B? I voted for you anyway, haha nyah nyah. :-P You are so damned talented.

Eino: Whoa, cool sounds here! Nice groove! Leads are cool, but a bit buried under the backing synth and also under the snare and hat which are way too loud. Bass could be louder and punchier. Kick too. The drums are on autopilot nearly all the way through. The backing synth is super crunchy which takes a lot of attention, burying the lead, and even kick and bass. I'd recommend taming the high end on the backing synth, and also stereo-spreading it super wide. Some lead variation would also be good. And a proper ending. That said, it is a well put together piece, well integrated, nice use of the source tunes. I'm particularly impressed when I hear both themes at once, layered, as I do here. Good job.

Chernabogue: Cool, jazzy piece! Lots of style variation. I love the intro/outro jazz-club ambiance (although it is a little loud/dry), you could have even added more throughout the song. The clarinet sounds quite fake (could stand to be humanized a bit) but it is used well (and yeah, I ain't one to talk about fake sounds during this round, haha!) The piano sounds a touch mechanical sometimes, but is used really well. Bass is subtle and really nice, drums too. Good use of both sources, it's pretty cohesive even while shifting through ideas, and it remains interesting throughout. This is a terrific composition. Seems you and I had somewhat similar ideas this time, with piano, bass, light drumming and a lead (you: clarinet, me: voices). Great minds think alike!

Avaris: Glad you liked my barbershop ditty! It was so much fun to make. :)

Chernabogue: Cool, jazzy piece! Lots of style variation. I love the intro/outro jazz-club ambiance (although it is a little loud/dry), you could have even added more throughout the song. The clarinet sounds quite fake (could stand to be humanized a bit) but it is used well (and yeah, I ain't one to talk about fake sounds during this round, haha!) The piano sounds a touch mechanical sometimes, but is used really well. Bass is subtle and really nice, drums too. Good use of both sources, it's pretty cohesive even while shifting through ideas, and it remains interesting throughout. This is a terrific composition. Seems you and I had somewhat similar ideas this time, with piano, bass, light drumming and a lead (you: clarinet, me: voices). Great minds think alike!

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. :)

Brandon - Very nice piano stuff! Was this played live or programmed in via piano roll? If it's the latter, then I'm even more impressed! It's a great piece but could use some cleaning up.

Eino - Great beat! I think I would have loved to hear a bit more low pass filter stuff on the lead lines. They're a bit buried mix at times.

Chimpzilla - Nice and jazzy! I dig it! And the horns give it that 60's/early 70's vibe! This would be a nice tune to hear a barbershop quartet do.

Chernabogue - Another jazzy one! Yes! The lead line with the clarinet is a bit on the weak side. It would certainly benefit with a bit of automation to humanize it a bit. Even better, find someone to play it with the real thing! The composition itself is quite nice but there could be a bit more dynamics.

Great job all!

...Mixed meter again, oh the humanity! I'll be spending the next couple days re-writing Gilgamesh in 4/4. :(

Good song choice though! Really truly. :)

Man something I noticed in the last round, sometimes it's easier to choose a main source, like Gilgamesh or whateva, and then write your additional source in that time sig. I think Lulu and Hope could both be done well in 3/4 but at first I was thinking of squeezing them both into 4/4. I dunno, it's worth playin' around with :-D You know what you doing!

Man something I noticed in the last round, sometimes it's easier to choose a main source, like Gilgamesh or whateva, and then write your additional source in that time sig. I think Lulu and Hope could both be done well in 3/4 but at first I was thinking of squeezing them both into 4/4. I dunno, it's worth playin' around with :-D You know what you doing!

Haha u know I completely agree. :)

Ok, here's finally the lyrics to Toteutukoon toiveesi.

toteutukoon toiveesi
mahdottomatkin
sait tähdenlennon kiinni
tyhjyydessä matkanneen

sekunneissa mursi tuhkaks'
ilmakehä sen
vuosimiljardeja matkanneen

talven taivaalla tähdet tuikkia saa
nouse hämärän syliin keinumaan

se vie sinut kuuhun
vie sinut tähtiin
vie sinut kauas ja lähellä pitää

yö on ystäväsi
yksinäisyyksineen
laula paremmaksi
sen huonot puoletkin

yö on ystäväsi
taikoineen, unineen
täysikuukin paistaa

talven taivaalla..

se vie sinut kuuhun..

So what does it say? Here's a literal translation and when I say literal, it's almost google translate literal, i.e. it very much loses it's lyricalness and what not.

may your wishes come true
even the impossible ones
you caught a falling star
that travelled in the void

in seconds, it was broken
by the atmosphere
it travelled billions of years

in the night sky, the stars may shine
climb to the lap of darkness for a rock-a-by

it will take you to the moon
take you to the stars
take you far away and keep you close by

the night is your friend
with its lonelinesses
sing to make it better
the bad sides, too

the night is your friend
with its spells and dreams
the full moon is shining too

Man, that's awkward. Much better & more meaningful in Finnish, please believe me. As you can tell I did start with the first line from Serrah's theme for the lyrics but went from there to the falling star & lullaby direction.

So you probably gathered that this is a lullaby. It's an actual functional lullaby in that our daughter (soon three years old) likes it very much. It's her current favourite of the VGM lullabies I've made for her. It's also the first I've recorded (I made it in this competition). I was able to work the lyrics & singing away from the computer and also sang it a bit to her before recording (which was great for the workflow, since I didn't have much time on the computer) but she really only started enjoying it after hearing the recorded version.

I guess that's that.

--Eino

Ok, here's finally the lyrics to Toteutukoon toiveesi.

toteutukoon toiveesi
mahdottomatkin
sait tähdenlennon kiinni
tyhjyydessä matkanneen

sekunneissa mursi tuhkaks'
ilmakehä sen
vuosimiljardeja matkanneen

talven taivaalla tähdet tuikkia saa
nouse hämärän syliin keinumaan

se vie sinut kuuhun
vie sinut tähtiin
vie sinut kauas ja lähellä pitää

yö on ystäväsi
yksinäisyyksineen
laula paremmaksi
sen huonot puoletkin

yö on ystäväsi
taikoineen, unineen
täysikuukin paistaa

talven taivaalla..

se vie sinut kuuhun..

So what does it say? Here's a literal translation and when I say literal, it's almost google translate literal, i.e. it very much loses it's lyricalness and what not.

may your wishes come true
even the impossible ones
you caught a falling star
that travelled in the void

in seconds, it was broken
by the atmosphere
it travelled billions of years

in the night sky, the stars may shine
climb to the lap of darkness for a rock-a-by

it will take you to the moon
take you to the stars
take you far away and keep you close by

the night is your friend
with its lonelinesses
sing to make it better
the bad sides, too

the night is your friend
with its spells and dreams
the full moon is shining too

Man, that's awkward. Much better & more meaningful in Finnish, please believe me. As you can tell I did start with the first line from Serrah's theme for the lyrics but went from there to the falling star & lullaby direction.

So you probably gathered that this is a lullaby. It's an actual functional lullaby in that our daughter (soon three years old) likes it very much. It's her current favourite of the VGM lullabies I've made for her. It's also the first I've recorded (I made it in this competition). I was able to work the lyrics & singing away from the computer and also sang it a bit to her before recording (which was great for the workflow, since I didn't have much time on the computer) but she really only started enjoying it after hearing the recorded version.

I guess that's that.

--Eino

Do you have anymore lullabys?