Guardians of the Galaxy

JH Sounds

OMG, how good was that movie! It's refreshing to see a Marvel Cinematic Universe story that doesn't come off as a pit stop on the way to the next Avengers. Heck, even the post-credits scene has a cameo that practically screams "nope, we aren't going to promote Avengers stuff". For me the film had just the right tone to give weight and levity to what would otherwise be a 90% CGI-fest. Rocket is absolutely legit in a non-paper world, and that surprised me. In a way this film opens to the door to an even wider universe, and I look forward where this shared MCU continuity goes next.

What do you guys think?

Haven't seen it, but there are few Marvel movies I hate. They exist, but I feel like DC Comics movies tend to have all the stupid movies, excluding the Christopher Nolan Batman. Haven't seen Man of Steel but it looks decent.

Anyway, I'm sure it was good. Did Disney present it? Who made the movie? Still haven't seen Amazing Spider-Man 2. First one was great but I still prefer the original one from 2002.

OMG, how good was that movie!

It was really great! Lots of fun. I think the advance reviews hyped up the movie's "heart" a bit much. It wasn't cheesy or anything, but the movie's drama was very basic. It seemed like they didn't want to make a mistake by trying too hard to be a "serious" movie, which I think worked to its benefit. They kept it simple, and it made for a great viewing experience.

It's refreshing to see a Marvel Cinematic Universe story that doesn't come off as a pit stop on the way to the next Avengers.

Wasn't the whole thing a pit stop on the way to the next Avengers? I mean, it was a good movie, but I feel like this is the exact opposite of the case. From Thanos being prominently featured, and the Infinity Stones being the front and center MacGuffin, I felt the principle plot was focused on setup for Age of Ultron.

Heck, even the post-credits scene has a cameo that practically screams "nope, we aren't going to promote Avengers stuff".

This was a huge disappointment for me. I mean, did anyone really think it was worth it waiting through all the credits for Howard the Duck? This illicited a lot of groans, and a very loud and exasperated "Are you serious?" from the audience I saw it with. I feel like everyone wanted something more substantial, maybe that pointed us toward the future of the franchise, and what we got was a disappointment, at least to the crowd I saw it with.

But, I did love the movie, and I'll probably see it again in the near future. I had a bit of the same problem with this movie as I did with the Avengers: a very loud crowd that drowned out the dialogue after every joke with laughter and applause.

Also it'll be fun to watch it again and catch all the things I inevitably missed the first time around. (I only caught a couple easter eggs on the first viewing, and I expect there were quite a few more to be seen, especially in the Collector's scenes.

Oh, and my favorite scene, the scene that made the movie for me, was the sapling dance. I loved that scene more than words can describe.

Haven't seen Man of Steel but it looks decent.
Man of Steel was so bad, don't waste your time. It was full of cheesy dialogue and over dramatic shots of him walking and flying around. Not to mention some bad acting at times.

Pretty much this. And I was so hyped for Man of Steel during the promotion leading up to its release. It was a massive disappointment.

I heard from friends that Man of Steel had a lot of vfx and good action sequences but that was it and that apparently it was nothing but action and there wasn't much dynamic. It was just a lot of action and that was the one and only strength of the movie. Which is the main reason I never went and saw it in theaters hahaha

Man of Steel has camerawork so shaky throughout the whole thing that you'll have to spend two hours refocusing your vision, if you're not vomiting from motion sickness first. Oh and the characters were flat and pointless and everything was exposition. And grimdark, devoid of any kind of life and joy.

Guardians of the Galaxy, meanwhile, reminded me that yeah, sci-fi can be fun, hilarious, and ridiculous. I really liked it, I was smiling like a loon through most of the movie. I needed some of that insane "our spaceships are designed that way because awesome", alien-heavy, ridiculous sci-fi lately.

Wasn't the whole thing a pit stop on the way to the next Avengers? I mean, it was a good movie, but I feel like this is the exact opposite of the case. From Thanos being prominently featured, and the Infinity Stones being the front and center MacGuffin, I felt the principle plot was focused on setup for Age of Ultron.

Well, considering it's called Age of Ultron I would hope that movie will focus on Ultron himself, with Thanos merely pulling the strings once again. The fact that Guardians of the Galaxy hid the MacGuffin in an orb for half the movie just highlights the fact that they were trying to have this be its own story. The way I see it, Thanos is more like the master of ceremonies in the MCU, using the stones to manipulate the universe to his own ends. Maybe there will be a legit battle against Thanos in Avengers 3, but by that point it'll be time for a reboot (perhaps the Time Stone will literally reset everything, haha).

This was a huge disappointment for me. I mean, did anyone really think it was worth it waiting through all the credits for Howard the Duck? This illicited a lot of groans, and a very loud and exasperated "Are you serious?" from the audience I saw it with. I feel like everyone wanted something more substantial, maybe that pointed us toward the future of the franchise, and what we got was a disappointment, at least to the crowd I saw it with.

I watched the movie with a fairly small, early Saturday afternoon audience. There were at least two Marvel nuts in there who yelled out the inevitable "omg it's Howard the Freaking Duck" when the post-credits scene happened. The crowd also had one funny lady who remarked "that... was... awesome" at the appropriate moment i.e. when the Power Stone nuked Ronan, and she also incorrectly guessed that Rocket's tears would revive Groot (holy crap I'm glad they didn't use that trope).

When I came back from the theater, I did some Google/wiki-ing and it turns out Marvel wanted Guardians of the Galaxy to have a Tony Stark cameo, which would have ruined the movie for me. Thankfully Iron Man 3 had a similar attitude about not wanting to be an Avengers 2 setup movie, and that decision in turn negated a Guardians team-up with Stark. I really respect the filmmakers for sticking to their guns regarding that. I would argue that everything in the new Guardians movie except the post-credits cameo shows off what the future of the MCU franchise can be (i.e. not just Avengers stuff), and I find that rather exciting.

sticking to their guns regarding that

of course James Gunn would stick to his guns :P

also I loved every minute of this movie. It was incredibly well-executed. I also loved the post-credits scene. Seth Green's voice fit Howard pretty well too.

You know, they're trying to do this whole "one sequel, one new movie" thing each year with the MCU. 2017 already has Guardians 2 planned, so there's the sequel. I wouldn't be surprised if Howard somehow got a relatively standalone movie that year. Of course, I'd also be okay if that didn't happen.

Anyways, really great. Man we really need spoiler tags. Anyways, loved the final battle, and I'm glad they went the route of Rocket planting Groot to revive him. Which makes sense. Would all the the Groot-shards left on Xandar grow into their own Groots though? Will we have an army of Groots? IS THIS WHAT HE MEANT BY WE ARE GROOT?!?

I'm already ready to see this again. So damn good.

again, that was kinda like a "the majority" statement

there's no problem with anyone not seeing it

I feel like I'm being slightly attacked for simply making a statement like that lol

or maybe we're all reading each other's posts wrong which tends to happen a lot since this is text

Eh, more people have seen Transformers 4, if we're being technical. But I understand your usage of the phrase and how it is meant, and saying "I haven't seen it" is a bit of a silly response to that. You were simply expressing the popularity of the movie, which is quite high as it is the first movie to hit this box office return in August since the Bourne Whatever-sequel years ago.

Eh, more people have seen Transformers 4, if we're being technical. But I understand your usage of the phrase and how it is meant, and saying "I haven't seen it" is a bit of a silly response to that. You were simply expressing the popularity of the movie, which is quite high as it is the first movie to hit this box office return in August since the Bourne Whatever-sequel years ago.

hahaha "bourne-whatever"

Catching Fire ended up being more popular, didn't it?

/completelyofftopicimsorrymyaddisoutofcontrolcanyoureadthis

The only part I didn't really like was the scene where Rocket starts crying about how he's suffered because of the experiments that were done to him. He's a fucking talking raccoon with guns, I don't need to hear about his boo-hoos.

It felt really tacked on and completely betrayed the impression I had of him.

Having never read the comics, I cant tell if this is normal for his character, or even for all the characters, but it really ruined my liking of him up to that point. Thankfully, it was over and done with quickly, and he got back to being cool and entertaining again. But it still felt shoved into the script for no reason.

Aside from that, would see again, hope the sequel is as good or even better.

The thing about that scene is he is all alone. He acts all tough and badass because it helps distract him from that feeling of loneliness he has. Sure, with everyone else there is some sense of connection, but for Rocket, he is literally all there is like him, and all alone. It's his time with everyone else that helps him realize he may be the only being like him (since he was genetically modified) but there are others who care for him. Outside of Groot, of course

I rather liked that scene, myself.

again, that was kinda like a "the majority" statement

there's no problem with anyone not seeing it

I feel like I'm being slightly attacked for simply making a statement like that lol

or maybe we're all reading each other's posts wrong which tends to happen a lot since this is text

It was not a rebuttal, it was an explanation. :3

Re: that scene, I liked it a lot because it explains why he's such a dick. It's a little cliched (let's face it, this entire film was a bundle of well-done space opera cliches), but I have SUCH a soft spot for assholes who turn out to be really, really broken in some fashion.