Sign in to follow this  
Liontamer

OCR00069 - Contra "Contravirt"

6 posts in this topic

Sweet, it's almost like the "Unsealed" of Contra. Virt has always been a musical master, and it shows here with his ability to combine all those sources together in a nice package. Sounds good for it's age as well. Nice one.

Embarrassing admission: at the time I read RIGHT over the title pun. I literally thought Jake had just combined the game name and his pseudonym into one nonsense word...

Yeah :banghead:

*heart eyes* virt you lovely bastard, killing it even in the year 2000. Lovely integration of chiptunes and not-that, quite a delicious soundscape. And, I mean its hard for medleys to NOT do this but I do like how this takes you on a bit of a journey, through the game and through your life. Doesn't even seem as long as it is, in the best possible way. Super dynamic and interesting. I'm sorry I just have nothing but good things to say about virt in general. 

(I had no idea the name was a pun either... wasn't even sure controvert was a word but I guess we all learned something today, months apart)

Man, Jake Kaufman was so ahead of his time when it comes to the music on this site. I was kind of critical of another medley of his I reviewed, Funk Fusion. But this Contra medley is just all kinds of amazing. It was very interesting to hear the original music in parts blend right in with Kaufman’s music. Perhaps the amount of effort and production placed in this track was foreshadowing his eventual involvement in the Contra 4 soundtrack?

good grief this is sooooooo good. I listened to it years ago and re-found it today. Amazing segues into the different stages too.