If a submission provides a soundcloud link, do judges download and listen, or stream it directly from the page?

If both are available, they'll always download the file for the original fidelity.

I like how the non-judge chimed in here with no basis for that claim. :P

Depends. I can usually get what I need out of the 128 kbps streamed file in order to judge a track, but if there's something going on where I think the quality would make a difference, of course I get the better MP3. Really, though, it doesn't always make a difference. If the arrangement isn't up to par or the mix is off by a certain amount, then the stream is all I need, and no point downloading anything.

I like how the non-judge chimed in here with no basis for that claim. :P

Depends. I can usually get what I need out of the 128 kbps streamed file in order to judge a track, but if there's something going on where I think the quality would make a difference, of course I get the better MP3. Really, though, it doesn't always make a difference. If the arrangement isn't up to par or the mix is off by a certain amount, then the stream is all I need, and no point downloading anything.

Well, if you're going to give a consistent judgment whenever the production is compromised AND is more significantly problematic than the arrangement, I just don't see why you would download some mixes but not others. I can see why sometimes it can be negligible, but that's what I would do, at least. :)

I download any file whenever available. However, Flex is right that sometimes the stream itself is perfectly fine to make a decision. If I were to YES something off a stream, it would be conditional on getting an actual copy of the file, since we'd have to post an actual MP3. Nothing more to add. :-)