OCR03266 - Super Mario World "It's-a-Me"

Liontamer

On first listens the repeated mario SFX might be kind of awkward. But they're pretty intentional. The "boing"s are aptly-timed, for instance, and eventually I find the mario SFX in general to provide a charm that one might only find in a track like this that's specifically made for actual dance floors. They give something for people to relate to and "sing along" to. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, the ungh SFX. Aside from that, I like how the reverb all fades out to a space behind the main mix. Depending on how you listen, the mix can sound tighter or more open. Later on, the reverb prevails. Fun stuff, dreamy for an EDM mix (which is bonus points IMO).

I love the intro chords. Not digging the SFX at all though. I'm usually not fond of remixes that spam SFX too much to be honest, especially ones with Mario's voice haha.

Besides from the SFX, this sounds awesome. As I said above, the chords are awesome. Bass line is also damn good. It took me a while to identify the source tune since it's used in a not very conventional way. Usage of the main Super Mario Bros theme is a bit risky since its chromathic nature clashes with the background a bit.

Overall, awesome track!

• 2 weeks later...

Ungh! The Mario voice samples definitely grab our attention (and seem to be quite divisive) but that's far from all there is to this solid disco house thumper.

For my money, the SFX use is really well embedded to the arrangement. Even though the vox samples are pretty much in your face, they work to build the piece and are very well paced, and don't feel like used for their own sake. I can see if you're allergic to sound effect samples it would make you uncomfortable, but I must say I thought I'd heard enough Mario voice samples in arrangements but this doesn't grate me in any way. It's precisely because they're a part of the arrangement and not just pasted on top for laughs. The brilliantly James Brown-esque (indeed!) "Ungh!" is a simple highlight, and the "poing!" combined with the coin sound is delightful.

I like the pacing of the beat, the sometime sparsity of the soundscape gives the tune a wide open feel, which is a fun contrast to the humorousness of the vox samples. The instrumentation is a good combo, I like the classic synth tones especially, but the tasteful splashes of delay and the disco borrowings of funk wah and string interjections are very effective too.

Great opener for the album.

• 7 months later...

I found this to be a really fun listen. :nicework: Thanks.

If you want to go a bit crazier, You should compare this remix to Chrono Trigger's end of time song. It almost sounds like you could sample it over this track (maybe even the Chrono trigger theme...?). Then again, I haven't really put in the effort to have any studio chops to do this, so what would I know. *shrug* :-P

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03266 - Super Mario World "It's-a-Me"
  • 1 month later...

Leave it to a ReMixer called Funk Fiction to really lay out some solid, almost spacey funk work. I have to admit, Mario's "ungh" voice clip being used like this got a smirk out of me, and the rest of mix was very well produced, using the SFX tastefully. Having such a funky mix of the special zone theme with the overworld theme sprinkled around it is pretty fun because if you left the controller alone while on the special map screen for a while, the overworld theme would play as an easter egg in SMW. Probably wasn't intentional, but still fun to remember while listening to this one. Nice work.