What is evaluation and when do I use it?

Rozovian

When you're ready to submit a remix to OC ReMix, but you're not sure if the remix fits the site's submission standards:

1. Add a link to the source (the original track(s) which was/were remixed) in the same post as the most recent update of the remix. YouTube is a good resource for sources.
  2. Change the prefix on the first post to Ready for Review.
  3. If you have any questions or special concerns, feel free to include them in the post as well.
  4. Post a new post in your thread so it's near the top of the board. This is important if you're changing the tags of a thread that's already a few weeks old; less so if the thread is already near the top of the board.
  5. Wait a week or two. If you don't get a response from an Evaluator by then, PM one or two of them. They're supposed to review your track within a few days. Sometimes it just takes a little longer.
  6. When you've received an evaluation, the Evaluator will either mark your thread as Work-in-Progress, indicating you need to keep working on it, or Complete, indicating that they think it's ready to submit.

Keep in mind:

• Don't use Ready for Review for remixes not intended to be submitted to OC ReMix.
  • Don't use Ready for Review for remixes that you don't think are ready to be submitted.
  • Don't use Ready for Review just because you've received no other feedback on your remix.
  • Don't use Ready for Review on the same remix over and over again. The evaluation team is not a substitute for regular listeners and your own critical listening.
  • Don't use Ready for Review on albums. There's a different process for releasing official OC ReMix albums. Read more here.

The Evaluators are not judges. They're selected because their grasp of the submission standards is good enough to be an indicator of what the judges might say. They can still be wrong, and the judges aren't always unanimous either. A positive evaluation is not a guarantee of passing the judges' panel, nor is a negative evaluation a guarantee that the remix won't pass the panel.

Don't make any changes to the track while waiting for the evaluation. Evaluators want to listen to the version you think is ready for submission. If you have things to change, do it before asking for the evaluation, or possibly after the evaluation is made.

It's okay for other people to comment on/review a track marked for evaluation. Ready for Review just means that an Evaluator will also come and review it, not that they're the only ones who may.

Remixes that are Ready for Review

Workshop Discussion

Edited by Hemophiliac
Tried to remove the "Completed" tag (which wasn't there before)

Meet the Evaluation Team!

The purpose of this thread is to give any would-be workshop denizen the ability to best utilize the staff here. In other words, here's what you need to know about each one of us! Each of us are here to help you grow as a musician and (hopefully) into a posted ReMixer. However, not all of us operate the same way, and we each have different backgrounds. Some of us are in different time zones, and we all have projects, lives, family, and music of our own to attend to. Nonetheless, the reason we're Evaluators is because we each have a passion for helping others improve.

Gario (Judge, not active)
Gregory Nourse
Preferred method of contact: Discord , PM
Also reachable by: Discord, FB
Five OSTs I recommend: Dragonseed, Megaman Soccer, Final Fantasy 8, Utopia (SNES), Saga 2/3 (Final Fantasy Legends, in USA)
About me: I have my degree in Music Theory and Composition from UNM (back in 2008... hard to believe it's been that long already), and as such I've actually had a lot of experience listening to all sorts of styles of music (both tonal and atonal). As such, one area I'm particularly keen on is arrangement, voice leading and orchestration of the track. As of 2008 I've done a lot of work on my own learning the ins and outs of production, so I can give some solid advice on that front, as well.
I'd like to be as diligent as possible on these boards, though unfortunately I've only had time to browse them actively once a week, roughly. If you send out a PM I'd be happy to direct some Mod Review justice your way, though - a friendly request often serves you well!

Rozovian (Not active; on vacation from evals)
Ad G
Occupation: Please give me a job. I'm going crazy in this stupid economy.
Preferred method of contact: PM
Also reachable by: email
Five OSTs I recommend: Seiken Densetsu 3, Halo 3 ODST, Super Metroid, Mirror's Edge, Battletoads & Double Dragon
About me: I complain about the compression in your mix, and I have a beard. I also wrote a remixing guide.

Wiesty
Dylan Wiest
Preferred method of contact: PM
Also reachable by: Discord
Five OSTs I recommend: Chrono Trigger (duh), Donkey Kong Country 2, Final Fantasy 7, Lost Odyssey, Link to the Past
About me: I'm a long time member of OcRemix but have just recently joined the staff here! I coordinate the OC Jazz Collective who recently put out their premiere album entitled "Chronology: A Jazz Tribute to Chrono Trigger". During the day I'm a band teacher and gigging musician. My instruments of choice include percussion and piano. 

--

ambient (yes, with a small "a") (Not active)
Also reachable by: TBD
Five OSTs I recommend: Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
About me: Far from a professional musician (though I have a bit of a background in classical piano and upright bass), my involvement in any kind of creative process associated with music is limited to what I do on OCR. I mainly focus on electronic music and could offer only limited input when it comes to other musical styles. I've been a part of the OCR community since the early 2000s.

Argle (Not active)
Adam Kirby
Five OSTs I recommend: Chrono Trigger :lol:, King's Bounty: the Legend, Rayman, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy
About me: just a dude who likes to make teh remixes. Been at the music thing for over a decade. I play violin and guitar but I consider that secondary to composing computer-based music. I try to write in a variety of genres to prevent myself from getting bored, and would like to think I can give feedback on pretty much any genre. Look forward to helping people out!

WillRock (Judge)(Not active)
William Harby
Preferred method of contact: Skype (WillRock07), PM, Facebook
Also reachable by: AIM, IRC
Five OSTs I recommend: iunno
About me: Dunno. You guys can look me up here. Also work as a composer for edgebee studios. Got a degree in music tech. Etc.
Reason i'm posting here is because I don't frequent the boards, and i'm technically still a WS Mod. but I DO like to look and help out people with their tracks, particularly if they come to me in person. Its better to send me a direct message (AIM/IRC/Skype) rather than PM because otherwise I may think "i'll look later" and not get around to it, but contact me and i'll more than happily help out anyone who needs it. I wouldn't class myself as particularly great with a specific area of critique but i'm a good all rounder and can probably give a decent idea if something will pass the panel or not. Hit me up on Skype!

XPRTNovice
Real name
: Joseph Zieja
Preferred method of contact: OCR PM at the moment
Also reachable by: Skype, mIRC sometimes, pigeon
OSTs I recommend: Xenogears, Persona 3
About Me: Relatively new to OCR (joined January 2012), but I've been a musician for over 20 years. My highlight seems to be the amount of instruments I play (at widely varying different skill levels of course), which include 4 saxophones, clarinet, guitar, mandolin, trumpet, french horn, flute, piano, and oud. I'm also a voiceover artist and fantasy/science fiction author on the side (hopefully some good news about my books coming in 2014).
I'm glad to be a part of the OCR community and now I'm thrilled to be a part of the staff as well. I look forward to growing with you all.

timaeus222
Real name
: Truong-Son Nguyen
Occupation: Physical Chemistry PhD Student (til 2021), Chemistry Teaching Assistant
Preferred method of contact: OCR PM (timaeus222), or Discord (timaeus222)
Also reachable by: Skype (timaeus222), Twitter (@timaeus222), Facebook (timaeusonocr)
OSTs I recommend: Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, Mega Man Star Force series, Gunstar Heroes, Super Mario Galaxy
About Me: I'm a lover of music, chemistry, and math. I've played piano for about 8 years, and taken choir classes for about 6. I got my BS degree in Chemistry, and I enjoy helping students online (socratic.org) and at my university with science/math questions. I also sometimes make gameplay youtube videos (nowadays, iOS and GBA games). I specialize in sound design for dubstep, drum & bass, and EDM, although I am comfortable and open to writing in and giving feedback for many genres, ranging from orchestral, to atmospheric, to metal and dubstep. 
OCR has always been a welcoming community, and arguably they have been a large part in helping me grow into the person I am now---I'll definitely enjoy helping out around here!

Geoffrey Taucer (Not active)
Real name
: Jeremy Waters
Occupation
Also reachable by: Discord
OSTs I recommend: Trolls for MS DOS
About Me: Remixer and community member since roughly 2004. Self-taught musician, specializing in folk music and (to a lesser extent) rock. I play guitar, banjo, keyboard, irish whistle, and bouzouki.

Hemophiliac
Preferred method of contact: Discord (Hemophiliac#6361) Join the OCR Discord server and tag me! We have a #workshop section there, and I can help in real time!
Also reachable by: OCR PM, Twitter (@onehemophiliac)
OSTs I recommend: A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, Saga Frontier, Everything by Yoko Shimomura, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
About Me: Been writing and arranging music for about 20 years now, also have a music degree.  Classically trained in voice and prefer to sing in groups (because blending and vocal harmony!)  Have some basic keyboard skills.  Really big on contrasts in music.

Edited by Hemophiliac
rozo on vacation