rRPC 2016 - The ReMix Role-Playing Competition 2016

FenixDown

On 6/6/2016 at 7:23 AM, FenixDown said:

Hero Bracket Round Two: A Kingdom in Ruin

The second round of the Hero Bracket has begun. This week’s sources are based on towns and castles that have been taken over or wiped out by enemies. The match ups and sources for round two are:

@Garpocalypse (Ramza) and @Touchstone (Ib) and @Chernabogue (Isaac) : These Feelings ~ Cursed Trodain Theme - Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

@alfredofreak (Ayla) and @Xenonetix (Terra) and @Ghetto Lee Lewis (Leliana) : Dying Village - Breath of Fire

Now that we have reached round two, the Party System has unlocked! Each participant has been randomly given an additional character source theme that they may use in place of the one they signed up with. The use of party members is entirely optional. Only you may use the party member you are assigned. Here are the party members assigned to our heroes:

Garpocalypse: Alec (Alec’s Theme) from Arc the Lad III

Touchstone: Flonne (Do Your Best, Girl!) from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

Ghetto Lee Lewis: Meena and Maya (Gypsy’s Journey) from Dragon Warrior IV

Xenonetix: Dekar (The Strongest Man) from Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals

alfredofreak: Vyse (Vyse's Theme) from Skies of Arcadia

Chernabogue: Aigis (Heartful Cry) from Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Heroes will have until noon EDT on Monday, June 13 to submit their mixes to me.

Good luck heroes!

So are these the themes for this round, or is it the stuff on page one?  I'm a bit confused.  and yeah I was too busy to work on anything last week.

They should be the same. The only difference is that I didn't include the party members in the first post when I made the edits at the start of the round. The party members are an optional character theme to use in place of the theme you signed up with. In your case, your round source is Dying Village from Breath of Fire, and your party member is Meena and Maya (Gypsy’s Journey) from Dragon Warrior IV which you may use instead of Leliana's Song if you want. Sorry for the confusion, I hope that cleared things up. I'm going to add the party members into the first post later today and hopefully that'll help.

On 6/15/2016 at 1:21 PM, FenixDown said:

They should be the same. The only difference is that I didn't include the party members in the first post when I made the edits at the start of the round. The party members are an optional character theme to use in place of the theme you signed up with. In your case, your round source is Dying Village from Breath of Fire, and your party member is Meena and Maya (Gypsy’s Journey) from Dragon Warrior IV which you may use instead of Leliana's Song if you want. Sorry for the confusion, I hope that cleared things up. I'm going to add the party members into the first post later today and hopefully that'll help.

Their names were Mara and Nara in the version I played.  Dragon Quest is always so inconsistent with their character names.

Anyway, I just submitted.  Thanks for the extension.  I've been so frigging busy lately I couldn't finish anything last week.

3 hours ago, Ghetto Lee Lewis said:

Their names were Mara and Nara in the version I played.  Dragon Quest is always so inconsistent with their character names.

I only played the DS version of Dragon Quest IV so I went with their names from that by default. Since I linked the NES version of the track and listed the source as Dragon Warrior IV, I should've fully committed to that version of the game. I don't know how big a deal it really is but if you use their theme in round 3, you can call them Mara and Nara if you prefer. They're still the same characters either way.

So, I'll be honest, I'm not sure I'll make the deadline. I could submit what I've done, but there's currently very little of the Dying Village theme in it, but I've melded my party themes together quite well! I'll see what I can do, but with under 3 hours to go, I have my doubts, sorry :(

7 minutes ago, Xenonetix said:

So, I'll be honest, I'm not sure I'll make the deadline. I could submit what I've done, but there's currently very little of the Dying Village theme in it, but I've melded my party themes together quite well! I'll see what I can do, but with under 3 hours to go, I have my doubts, sorry :(

Do what you can. Also, while I won't ask you to undo it now with the deadline today, party themes are meant to be used in place of your character's theme, not alongside it to make a three source mix. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that earlier, I thought I had addressed that before.

29 minutes ago, FenixDown said:

Do what you can. Also, while I won't ask you to undo it now with the deadline today, party themes are meant to be used in place of your character's theme, not alongside it to make a three source mix. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that earlier, I thought I had addressed that before.

Wow, I really haven't paid enough attention to this enough this time around have I? :P Sorry! I'm still working on it though - Might still be able to pull something out of the bag.

The deadline has arrived. Xenonetix is finalizing his track now so when that's ready I will have four entries for the round. Chernabogue has already said he would not be able to submit anything this round and I received a message from Garpocalypse earlier today saying he won't be able to submit anything this round either. I had sent him a message to see if giving him more time today to finish would work since his earlier posts suggested he was pretty much done already but he hasn't responded to that yet. That was also before Xenonetix told me he was finalizing his track so I would have extended that extra time to him as well. 

The way things currently stand, Touchstone is going to advance into the next round untouched again. Something I should make clear now is that based on how I decided to change up the compo layout to adjust for the lower turnout, the winners of round 2 are going to be the semi-finalists on track to go against the winner of the opposing bracket in the finals. Everyone else will still be given sources in round 3 to determine third place for each side. I had mentioned this before but I felt it was definitely time to bring that up again, in case anyone glossed over it or otherwise missed it.

Since Garpocalypse did tell me he wasn't going to make it this round, I'm going to proceed with preparing the poll for the other match up. I'll have the tracks ready for download soon.

The deadline for Villain Round Two is getting closer. How are your tracks coming along? Also, don't forget that voting for Hero Round Two is underway so be sure to check out our submissions and pick your favorite in the poll. 

On another note, I have learned today that I will be at work on the next two Mondays during the time the rounds would normally end. So, for Villain Round Two and for Hero Round Three, I am going to give you until midnight on Monday to send your music in to me and I will prepare the remixes for download and voting first thing in the morning on their respective Tuesdays. Depending on how that goes and if people seem to like it, I might use that approach for the remainder of the compo. Sorry for the frequently shifting deadlines, my work schedule is usually pretty static. Thanks for your patience everyone.

Just a friendly reminder to the villains this round that your deadline is at midnight on Monday the 27th Eastern time. Though if we're being honest, you actually have until I wake up Tuesday morning. Can't guarantee what time that would be though so it would be best to aim for submitting sometime on Monday.

Also, on the hero side, I know voting is listed to go on until 9AM EDT tomorrow, but because I will be getting ready for work around that time, I'm going to cut the voting short by two hours so that I'm able to start round 3 before I leave. If you haven't voted yet and still want to, it'd be best to do it now.

Hero Bracket Round Three: Diversionary Tactics

The heroes summoned by the king spearheaded a campaign to take back the Kingdom of Dawn from the villainous occupants that had besieged it. By exploiting the growing rift dividing the enemy, they managed to win battle after battle, their numbers growing with each victory as more of the subjugated populace joined their ranks. After a rigorous journey, they finally reached the gates of Dawn Castle, the heart of the kingdom. The champions of Dawn charged the gates, setting the stage for the battle to determine the fate of the land.

Meanwhile, a smaller group lead by the king himself broke off from the attacking forces. The king revealed to them a secret passage that would take them into the castle itself, the very path the king had used to escape before. With the enemy’s main forces focused on the battle at the gates, the king’s group could slip into the castle unnoticed to confront the leaders of Dusk.

The third round of the Hero side has begun! This round is different as the semifinalists determined by the outcome of round two will be using a source associated with sneaking into enemy territory. The remaining heroes will be storming the gates of the castle by remixing battle themes. The match ups and sources are:

Touchstone (Ib and Flonne) and Ghetto Lee Lewis (Leliana and Meena and Maya) - Infiltrating Enemy Territory from Bravely Default

Garpocalyse (Ramza and Alec), Xenonetix (Terra and Dekar), alfredofreak (Ayla and Vyse), and Chernabogue (Isaac and Aigis) may choose any one of these battle themes: The Shield of Gargania (Gungnir), Blue Radiance (Radiant Historia), or Battle 2 (Arc the Lad).

Participants will have until midnight EDT on Monday, July 4 to submit their tracks.

Good luck Heroes!

I've only received two submissions from the villains. Tim has already explained his situation but I haven't heard anything from anyone else. I'm going to hold off on releasing the submitted music a little longer to see if anyone else turns something in so we can have at least one vote this week. If I don't hear from the remaining villains by the end of the day, I'm going to assume the music isn't coming and release the tracks tomorrow morning. The villains who did send their music in will become the semifinalists on their side by default.

It kinda feels like round two is cursed in a way. Maybe I should've gone with a different theme for the hero round other than ruined town/castle music.

Thanks Mike! With his submission, we have a match to vote on. I did receive a track from Ronald Poe but for some reason, Razorlame is not wanting to convert it into an MP3. Since he was the only one to turn in a track in his match up, he wins that by default.

You can download the Villain Round Two tracks here. Sorry for the delays. You can cast your vote here.