Final Fantasy XII

Dyne

Basch was my party leader from the point that I had him in my party. He should've been the lead character.

But that would violate RPG rules. 34 year olds are only available as supporting characters. The lead always needs to be a teenager or very early 20's

Lets see, I've been playing through a second time and I am at the point where you get Reddas, but I won't get him until my characters are really high because Reddas comes in at 2 lvls above your average party level. (I think) But anyway, All my characters are lvl 90 and It took me an hour and a half to get the Excalibur Dumb thing wouldn't show up in the chest.

I am 93 hours into the game, and here's my party arrangement:

Vaan: mage knight. All magical items except for a sword and shield.

Gambits: arise, cure, if enemy is weak against a certain element, use it. flying= telekinesis, attack

Fran: Archer. All heavy equipment with a bow.

Gambits: arise, attack, cure

Basch: Tank. All heavy equipment with the Excalibur.

Gambits: arise, flying=telekinesis, attack, cure

Ashe: Mage. All magic items complete with staff.

Gambits: arise, cure, if enemy is weak against a certain element, use it. flying= telekinesis, attack

Penelo: gunner. All heavy equip with the most powerful gun.

Gambits: arise, undead=cure, attack, cure

Balthier: Knight. All heavy equipment with a sword and shield.

Gambits: arise, attack, cure

Of course, these gambits aren't exact, but close to what they are on my game.

So is this a good setup? If not, what should I change?

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to ask, has anyone bothered with the trophys and giving them to the guys at the hunters camp at the Phion Coast?

* Liontamer is listening to Nobuo Uematsu (arr. Hitoshi Sakimoto) - "Chocobo (FFXII Version)" [Final Fantasy XII OST] (02:03)

<Liontamer> bastard!

<Liontamer> didn't give this one a variation name!

<Liontamer> bastard!

<Liontamer> THIS SOUNDTRACK SUCKS ASS

<zircon> haha

<zircon> like Techno de Chocobo?

<Liontamer> yeah, wtf

<Liontamer> geeks like me live for that shit

<Liontamer> THIS SOUNDTRACK SUCKS ASS

<Liontamer> CLEARLY, TOP TO BOTTOM, THIS MAN IS A HACK!

Setting a gunner up with heavy armor is sort of pointless; as I understand, the damage a gun does has no bearing on your strength, which means the strength bonus from the armor is just being wasted. Better to have them with light armor, then they get an HP bonus, which is more useful.

The only disadvantage I have with my heavy armored gunner is that she is very slow. I don't know if that is the consequence of the heavy equipment but that's how it is. I have my gambits casting haste on her at all times. And she is still slower then Ashe casting something.

The game kind of promotes all heavy melee weapons though. What is the point of having everyone completely customizable if you have the desire to have them all be tanks?

I decided to get reddas. He's at lvl 92 which I guess is good enough.

Well, your gunner should be well out of harms way, so I'd agree that light armor would make more sense.

Personally I never used a gunner. I just kept Fran on bows which worked well. Yeah, her damage isn't as good, but she has a much faster rate of fire, and the added status effects of the arrows can be very helpful, especially if you have a few to choose from.

Ah, but this game has joined the pile of RPGs that I've played RIGHT up just before the final battle/dungeon and quit. I don't know why I always do that. You'd think that after playing a game for 80+ hours or so I'd at least be interested in seeing the ending, but for some reason I never am. I've done this with so many games...

Ah, but this game has joined the pile of RPGs that I've played RIGHT up just before the final battle/dungeon and quit. I don't know why I always do that. You'd think that after playing a game for 80+ hours or so I'd at least be interested in seeing the ending, but for some reason I never am. I've done this with so many games...

Possibly because the ending is usually disappointing. I know I was disappointed with the end of FFXII.

you didn't like the cliche 'this is where we all went and we're all happy now' movie? with cliche letter included?

It wasn't so much the ending movie as the ending battles, which were way too easy for high-level characters, as usual.

Square need to start shaping bosses based on your level. Like they did with Diablos in FF8.

It wasn't so much the ending movie as the ending battles, which were way too easy for high-level characters, as usual.

Square need to start shaping bosses based on your level. Like they did with Diablos in FF8.

They mapped every enemy to your character's levels in FFVIII, save in the Lunatic Pandora and the Islands closest to Heaven and Hell. Hence why you could tear through the game at level 12 by spamming draw points.

I think the answer lies with the seal method that was used in Star Ocean: The Second Story. Add an optional seal that can be removed from the final bosses that increases their power vastly. Unlocked Gabriel was a bitch. Legend of Mana had a similar method with it's No Future mode.

i beat ff8 at about level 14 or so. LOVED the game, and loved that it didn't take a zillion hours. i redid it at a normal set of levels, though.

its not even just having a locked seal, make the bosses damn tough AND have them with a minimum level built in, no matter what. so, the bosses might be mapped to your level but they're never going to be below a certain (and still difficult) level.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally did it. I got all 13 espers. Zodiark(SP) was the most annoying thing ever and that includes hell worm (or is it wyrm). This esper always had a physical attack immunity and only dropped it's magic attack immunity for 10 seconds while when I tried to cast flare, it would have reflect. I even had everyone equip a demon shield halfway through but it only absorbed it's darkja sometimes.

Anyway, I'm trying to get the big weapons now. Forget the tournesol(sp). It's too much.

Only two hunts left until yizmat whatever.

Funny thing is. I never bothered to beat the game yet. I got to the final area, and then I decided to do all the extra stuff first.. But then like 100 hours down the road (250 total game hours on that turn). I decided to just not bother beating it. (maybe I will someday though).

I beat Yiazmat, Got all the espers, and did various sidequests (like fishing, which was so boring). The reason it took me so long because I refuse to use a guide. So, I'm probably not gonna find everything, and I already know I screwed up the Zodiac Spear because everyone on Gamefaqs blabs on about it like it's better than SEX. So, I won't be bothering to get that weapon because it's just ridiculous how they hid it.

Then I hear they are making an international version which will have all the biggest problems fixed (easier to obtain best weapons...). And it will (again...) be a Japan only release. I may actually get it though, which will be the first time I ever got one.

Overall, I liked FF12 though. It was nice to see the word espers again. And the battle system rocks IMO. Too bad it has strong downsides like the super insanely hard to obtain weapons and armor. IF you are like me and refuse to read guides for games, you will probably never find them all.

QUESTION: I have been hugging the left wall in the first level of the basement and went everywhere on that floor and I can't find a way to get to the next level down. Help anyone?

PS. Following the left wall ensures that you will get to where you need to go eventually in almost any maze.

QUESTION: I have been hugging the left wall in the first level of the basement and went everywhere on that floor and I can't find a way to get to the next level down. Help anyone?

PS. Following the left wall ensures that you will get to where you need to go eventually in almost any maze.

While that is true with mazes with entrances and exits on the same floor, mazes with staircases follow a different logic. Following the left wall (or right, really, just following a wall) will lead you around the external wall. But the stair may be in the center of the map. Following an exterior wall also means missing on all the chests inside the maze's inner rooms.

I know, but this maze consists of four areas all located around different 'corners' of a circle. These areas are not connected with another and while going through it, it is pretty obvious that I went in every room in each of the four areas.

This is the lower levels of the Pharos, or am I misunderstanding?

'Cause for the Pharos, you need to "light" the pedestals in each "corner" [right in the "main" part of the corner, ie: the first room] with varying numbers of Black Orbs til it says you can't put anymore on/in. Once you do that in all four corners, you can take the elevator to the next floor down.