I Scored an RPG

Mazedude

Hey everyone! I'm happy to share that as of today, my name is officially attached as "composer," not "remixer," to a 100% original game soundtrack. It's an indie game, but still, I had a blast stepping into RPG mode and crafting the various map themes, battle music, castle, shop, and church tunes... lots of good stuff. I'd like to invite you to give it a listen, and let me know what you think! (Also check out the game, it's out on Steam and actually pretty challenging.)

https://mazedude.bandcamp.com/album/mazequest-2-original-soundtrack 

MazeQuest-2-Original-Soundtrack-Album-Co

For your listening pleasure, the album also includes several bonus tracks that didn't actually make it to the game, and, a whole bunch of chiptune concept pieces. I'm not a keyboard player, so drafting in 8-bit seemed like a time-friendly way to present thematic ideas without getting hung up on samples and such. Have fun comparing the chiptunes to the final orchestrated pieces; some are very close, and some changed a bit during the orchestration.

Enjoy!

Thanks Jay! I appreciate the feedback.

Are you saying "gritty" in a good way, or a bad way...? Those are primarily square waves, plugged into the tracker, along with some triangle and sine and white noise. Post-processing was extremely minimal. I wasn't going for a well-produced chiptune album deal, rather, showcasing the simplicity of the drafts that then evolved into something bigger. No reverb or EQ added, etc.

Congradurations Mazedude!  You are winner!  Always a huge fan of your works man :)

Purchased album for $5 (money's tight atm T_T)

EDIT)  Just purchased game on Steam too!

Lastly... Gonna toot my own rusted horn and say, I'd die a happy man if I scored for at least ONE semi-renowned game.  Few anxieties and what-if's holding me back, but will use this as a driving force to pursue a limited version of my dream at least lol.  

All the best to you Mazedude!! 

Say, thanks! I hope you like the game; would be happy to pass on any comments or feedback to the developers.

It was actually Austin Wintory who kinda inspired me to pursue this. He spoke at MAGFest a couple years back and said something along the lines of "it's not that hard to find game developers these days. There are so many indie projects all over the place. So if you want to be considered for the music, just reach out. Keep reaching out. Eventually someone will bite."

And, that's what happened. I had the whole "I want to compose a soundtrack" itch, and like, within a week, I booked this one. It took a very long time to finish and really there was very little money involved, but hey, achievement unlocked. :)

6 hours ago, Mazedude said:

Say, thanks! I hope you like the game; would be happy to pass on any comments or feedback to the developers.

It was actually Austin Wintory who kinda inspired me to pursue this. He spoke at MAGFest a couple years back and said something along the lines of "it's not that hard to find game developers these days. There are so many indie projects all over the place. So if you want to be considered for the music, just reach out. Keep reaching out. Eventually someone will bite."

And, that's what happened. I had the whole "I want to compose a soundtrack" itch, and like, within a week, I booked this one. It took a very long time to finish and really there was very little money involved, but hey, achievement unlocked. :)

Some solid advise there.  That's a pretty cool tale to relate!  Thanks man! 

6 hours ago, Mazedude said:

Seems to be some screen tearing/artifact-ish lines at the 2nd-to-top tile line when moving.  Easy mode is still fairly difficult, which is a good thing I guess (was hoping to breeze through lmao)... Unsure if picking a Fighter as my Main was wise, considering that the Tavern has a Bishop, Paladin and Berserker on offer.  No ranged like Archer or Sorcerer.  I wonder if the (edit) Mercenaries/Companions are randomly generated?   Other then that, I think MazeQuest 2 is fairly solid thus far.  Will let you know if something comes to my attention that could possibly be tweaked. 

EDIT2)  Discovered that the "base" dodge stat for level 1-5 characters is quite high.  I've had some very frustrating battles where I had 4 guys vs 2 and they kept on missing, so I wound up losing 1 or 2 of my guys in the party - and it ain't cheap to resurrect a character, even at lvl 2.  That said, I'm certain there are +Accuracy items out there.  If other people raise that issue, might be worth investigating. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Checked it out on Bandcamp. Pretty cool! It's reminiscent of a module-based sound (.xm, .mod), which is nice.

Interesting to hear that you've recently been getting into soundtrack work. I have that same itch, so I can definitely relate.

By the way, I used to listen to your stuff way before I got into remixing. Slick Rippin' Keen among others. Really nice tunes.

• 1 year later...

Happy to announce that the sequel is... now available! (Sadly due to COVID-19 the game itself has been delayed a bit, but the developers were happy to let me share the soundtrack)

https://mazedude.bandcamp.com/album/mazequest-3-original-soundtrack-game-version 

It's an RPG but also a Western, with distinct chiptune and 9-bit vibes, so, yeah it's a hybrid approach but also quite enjoyable in that aspect. Let me know what you think, thanks!

MQ3_Cover_1400.jpg