Nintendo Wii

Smoke

This is mentioned in the first post, but I thought I would mention it again, because I am looking for feedback on how to improve it.

I made something for the browser that lets you use tabs while browsing.

You can view it here: http://brentalan.com/wiitabs/

One thing that I already plan on improving is removing the requirement for the "http://".

Wow why have I never played Super Castlevania IV before? It is like I have been losing life until this day.

Best played on an SNES if you ask me. I swear my copy is almost 100% mint condition. I keep the games in good order.

Unfortunately (and blasphemously) I no longer have my SNES and I have neither desire nor means to get an SNES + all these good games I should have (although I do still have quite a few SNES games). I also cannot stand the feeling of emulation. This is why the VC is good for me.

Yeah, but isn't the VC basically emulation? :?:

BTW, I'm waiting for the reviews for the new VC titles. I probably won't ever buy any VC title other than SMRPG, but it's interesting to hear how the games have aged on a new console. I still wish they put out high definition, pixel-laden versions sometime though. The higher definition actually lends itself to the retro feel.

Yeah, but isn't the VC basically emulation? :?:

BTW, I'm waiting for the reviews for the new VC titles. I probably won't ever buy any VC title other than SMRPG, but it's interesting to hear how the games have aged on a new console. I still wish they put out high definition, pixel-laden versions sometime though. The higher definition actually lends itself to the retro feel.

1. I am playing with a real console controller, not a crappy PC counterfeit or keyboard.

2. I am playing on a TV, not a PC monitor, and I have neither desire nor means to feed the PC through the TV for emulation.

3. I am paying for it and it feels powerful.

1. I am playing with a real console controller, not a crappy PC counterfeit or keyboard.

2. I am playing on a TV, not a PC monitor, and I have neither desire nor means to feed the PC through the TV for emulation.

3. I am paying for it and it feels powerful.

Personally, I'm all for emulation, but I think you got some things wrong about emulation in general.

Emulation is basically any software that literally emulates and copies the conditions of an other console, PC or chipset/hardware. Secondly, you can plug in just about any controllers to the PC if you have the right adaptor. Thirdly, Nintendo, just like it is the trend nowadays with console games and the whole idea of classics compilations and what is really just are emulated games, are selling them instead of having them be distributed freely.

And some of the TV-screen emulation of emulators on PCs can change the resolution and add pixelation as it was intended. The big problem (for gaming purists) with modern console emulation that goes for sale is that they often add anti-aliasing or simply don't do a good job of emulating them. And they look less pixelated than they are supposed to be. And yes, pixelation could be seen as a sign of authentic, loyal emulation.

PS- If you feel any more content in buying the games instead of for free, that's your preference. I can see how that is. I feel more connected towards the games I buy too. But with emulation, this whole zealous attitude towards loyal emulation of the games and the underground attitude of free games for everyone is a draw as well.

I know what emulation is. Ever heard of metonymy? Some people use it out of ignorance, others use it on purpose. I did the latter because I really don't like computer emulation. If I'm going to go to the trouble of metonymically distinguishing between subsets of emulation, please go to the trouble of recognizing it, whether you think I did it on purpose or not.

I'm aware there are adapters for console controllers. But I'm going back to the means and desire bit here--it just doesn't compel me to believe it's worth the effort (yes, it is my preference). Besides, given how few games I expect to purchase on the VC from each console, it would probably be more expensive for me to acquire the proper adapters for several console controllers than to just buy the bloody games.

Also, I hope I didn't give you any indication that I was a "gaming purist." I couldn't care less about the sharp, cutting-edge graphics of current games, so I see no reason to care about the "authentic" look of older games. If it's playable, I play it--appearances have a very minimal role in determining that.

I feel the same way about PC emulation that I do about music-sharing. If it's something I never have or rarely can experience as its producer intended me to, I have few qualms about taking part, because it will either allow me to realize I don't want to experience it any further or give me reason to support its producer in the future. Tales of Phantasia, for example, and Super Metroid the first time I heard of it, were things I could justify with free PC emulation. But I bought the GBA version of ToP, and I'll probably get Super Metroid on the VC, just as I eventually bought Franz Ferdinand's second album, having downloaded the first in its entirety. And, well, that's just how I consider my role in the entertainment industry. Notice how I keep referring to myself, not to anyone else. I don't care how you do things, or anyone else for that matter.

That's why I said I understand how you feel by being more content with something you can buy. At least it's "official" in that sense.

I'm just creating talk for putting my own views about it. And I simply think it's suspect to sell the same thing again and again and again. That's one of the biggest pitfalls of videogaming as I see it, though I'm not saying that it's a wrong thing for gamers to take advantage of it.

And the reason why I bring up the purist point of view is because I am one.

Truth is, I'd never be able to get the controllers for my PC and it just feels awful playing games on the PC, it's just not the same. That is why I love my Gunstar Heroes and Donkey Kong Country on my Wii.

Also, you guys are telling me you have Castlevania IV?

On the topic of emulation...

Rather than using a cheap ripoff of a cheap PC game controller, just go get an X360 pad. Plugs right in, the drivers are available on winupdate(or through the XBCD 3rd party drivers, so you can get rumble..), and it's a REAL system gamepad. :)

Because, you know, that's not more expensive than getting an adapter for the real classic controllers. :roll:

Injin: Right, okay. I think I'm just resigned to the fact that, no matter how pretty the graphics get or how innovative the control design, good video games will always be basically the same, sharing common elements. It's like literature. You can change up the language, the style, the setting, the genre, but in the end anything worth reading will always approach the same topics and themes and attempt to convey the universal Truth. The Wii is like the step from Romanticism to realism. It's a brilliant, exhiliratingly fun step, but it doesn't change the core of gaming.

Also, if they can sell the same game over and over again, it must be worth keeping alive (and bringing to those who never had it before--it's not like I'd buy Super Castlevania IV again on the next Nintendo console). I think it's far less a crime to do this, claiming nothing more than surviving a classic, than it would be to dress a less-than-stellar game in a fancy new package and sell that, as many developers will do these days.

CE: Yes. And it's Good.