Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Which begs the question, is there any game which is not lacking in some respect?

Yes there is. Street Fighter 3:Third Strike :!:

Good answer.

Also, why do people suddenly get into console emulation when you have to pay for it? If you're telling me playing a NES/Genesis/whatever ROM on your Wii is any different than playing it on your Dreamcast/PS1/PS2/Xbox/etc you are full of it.

Ok question. Dunno if anybody has tried this yet or not but, can you download a game from the VC, put it on an SD card and delete it from Wii memory, and still play it?

like could you keep it on your sd card untill you wanted to play it, and then just transfer it to your wii memory. Would it still work? I just dont wanna risk deleting it from my wii memory, only to have it not work later on.

anybody know?

I cannot say for certain that your method works 100% but another forum-goer has attempted this and it worked. Supposedly, you can re-download games you delete if you ever do.

I can't decide which VC I wanna buy. Altered Beast, Gunstar Heroes, Ecco, Ristar, or R-Type.

I'm leaning towards Ristar and R-Type.

I enjoyed Gunstar Heroes. Altered Beast is crap. Not much to say on the rest though.

I recommend Gunstar Heroes as it has amazing single and multi-player action. After that get Super Castlevania IV or Toe Jam & Earl.

Ok question. Dunno if anybody has tried this yet or not but, can you download a game from the VC, put it on an SD card and delete it from Wii memory, and still play it?

like could you keep it on your sd card untill you wanted to play it, and then just transfer it to your wii memory. Would it still work? I just dont wanna risk deleting it from my wii memory, only to have it not work later on.

anybody know?

I cannot say for certain that your method works 100% but another forum-goer has attempted this and it worked. Supposedly, you can re-download games you delete if you ever do.

yep that's all true

Which begs the question, is there any game which is not lacking in some respect?

Yes there is. Street Fighter 3:Third Strike :!:

Good answer.

Also, why do people suddenly get into console emulation when you have to pay for it? If you're telling me playing a NES/Genesis/whatever ROM on your Wii is any different than playing it on your Dreamcast/PS1/PS2/Xbox/etc you are full of it.

This might be new to you, but people like to pay for a legitimate service. :wink:

Here are some conveniences of the Virtual Console Service:

-Play games on a Television

-Play games with a console controller

-Multi-player

-Wireless controllers

-Simple interface and options

-Everything bothersome (ie console-crashing glitches, configuring controllers, etc) has been or will be taken care of by the service-providers

-No hassle searching through-spam infested sites online

-Not voiding console warranty

-Potential online networking like the 360

Certainly other emulation sources share some of these features. However, none of them offer them in the same package Wii does. Wii's difference is in simplicity and in turn appeals to a wider audience.

Whenever I played a ROM anyway I always felt obligated to save state before a hard part or use the turbo button to move faster(like on RPGs).

I miss the turbo button. Guess no Secret of Mana for me. (Seriously I've had friends that played through SNES RPGs entirely on turbo. They fly through them soooooo fast.)

-Multi-player

-Wireless controllers

-Everything bothersome (ie console-crashing glitches, configuring controllers, etc) has been or will be taken care of by the service-providers

Certainly other emulation sources share some of these features. However, none of them offer them in the same package Wii does. Wii's difference is in simplicity and in turn appeals to a wider audience.

Jeez, I hate playing party pooper to these kinds of posts all the time.

But you can technically do all of those above at a much cheaper price if you consider that you are only spending money on a few adaptors and hardware and not spending hundreds more on the actually sold games themselves.

Also, the thing with PC emulators is that they are now so easy to use and have a ton of emulation varieties and features.

One of the current problems with the VC games is that their save state aspect isn't ironed out yet, the multiplayer is still a dream, and really, the idea of improving an old game and selling it as a "classic" is just a bit strange.

If you want to speak technicalities, you can do just as well if not a LOT better with emulators. Especially with simple emulation like NES, SNES, Turbo Grafix, Genesis and etcetera. Even Playstation emulation and N64 emulation are pretty common place now as well. Go ahead a few generations and we'll probably start seeing Gamecube, Xbox and PS2 emulation.

The technicalities isn't the point. Like many people costantly state, it's just the state of mind of paying for "legitimate" service in their view. Hell, many people (like me), think the legitimate choice is simply emulation. I simply dislike paying for a corporation that touts the different versions of an essentially the same game or even reselling the games in the pretense of selling classics. Sometimes it can be great. Sometimes not. Like I said before, I think a $10 pricetag is a bit high when some compilations that run thirty games can sell for as low as $30. There just isn't a very stable selling price for selling emulated games.

And if people like buying stuff for the VC or XLA and think they're doing the right thing by supporting the big corporations, then more power to them. More power also to the emulators who go for the underground movement of games and a free distribution of something every hardcore gamers have more or less played and can be open to modding and free usage to their liking.

-Multi-player

-Wireless controllers

<Party Pooper>

I think you completely missed the point. It doesn't matter if something is technically possible when it comes to mass appeal. 3DO made 3D games technically possible long before Playstation or Nintendo 64, but at a $700 price tag it had extremely limited appeal. Napster was a free way to obtain music online, but was not simple or convenient, and it rarely yielded high-quality sound files. iTunes offered simplicity, convenience, and quality for a reasonable price, and has since taken over.

Wii's Virtual console service does exactly what iTunes does. It offers an easy, simple way to obtain games, a convenient way to play them, and an authentic console experience. Those features appeal to an audience exactly opposite the from tech-savy computer gamer.

Well, yeah. I agree on the techno savvy aspect.

Though the one thing that shut Napster down was the act of intentional sabotage (at first, people thought it was pranksters. Then things got scary where more than half the files were obviously fixed by the music industry).

With ROMs, yes, you do need to dig a bit for them as well. Though torrents have made things a lot easier that way. And thanks to the community aspect of torrents, all the illegal music downloads moved there too. I suspect game ROMs did too, since that's usually where they are nowadays.

Possible with PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox, others, even your PC!

Possible with the previously mentioned consoles, as well as the PC (with a $6 adapater).

-Multi-player

Also possible with any of the consoles. PCs allow online multiplayer, and the PSP offers wireless multiplayer.

-Wireless controllers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the classic controller wired? Either way, this really doesn't affect gameplay.

Most emulators for other consoles are very simple as well. Just pop in the CD or DVD, then pick your ROM/game from a list. Save states are usually accessed in the pause/menu screen.

Most emulation for the 16 bit systems and below are 100% accurate and run at 100% speed on the the consoles I mentioned, aside from the PS1 which can't handle too much.

Or you can just download a torrent of a disc image of a full set of ROMs, burn it, pop it into your systems, and you're ready to go.

Dreamcast, PSP, and PS1 can emulate with absolutely no mods. Other than that, my warranty is long gone for all of my consoles anyway.

Yes, online play is cool. Hopefully we'll see more of it.

Yes, basically for lazy/dumb people who don't know what emulation is and don't know how to burn a disc image. But emulating on consoles is extremely easy, and you can have entire romsets for free, rather than paying $5 or $10 a ROM.

The ONLY benefit I can see for emulating on the Wii is feeling like you're not stealing anything. But you pretty much are. It would be like if I payed a ROM site $3 to download a ROM. How much of that money goes to the original developers? How much does Nintendo keep? How much gets paid to the actual people who programmed and created the game? Nintendo is just a middleman, selling other people's games for cash. It's simple and streamlined, but I just don't think it's worth paying for, especially since there is only a pathetic amount of games offered. From Nintendo's point of view, a CD rom with 300 NES ROMs burned on it should be sold for $1,500. Ridiculous.

I wish developers more often give out free shovelware and classic titles like they do with the PCs. Though nowadays, they're trying to cash in on the whole classic compilation idea for PC games as well. But in the past, games like Command & Conquer used to be freely distributable without any legal ramifications. Duke Nukem and even Duke Nukem 3D were on the verge of being a near public domain property since they were considered to be classics.

I see no reason why some ancient games could be the same. Hell, they can even ramp up the money through ad revenue if they want, by attaching ads onto the download screens. It has worked to varying degrees before.

^I don't think anyone's figured that out yet. @_@

Yes, basically for lazy/dumb people who don't know what emulation is and don't know how to burn a disc image. But emulating on consoles is extremely easy, and you can have entire romsets for free, rather than paying $5 or $10 a ROM.

The ONLY benefit I can see for emulating on the Wii is feeling like you're not stealing anything. But you pretty much are. It would be like if I payed a ROM site $3 to download a ROM. How much of that money goes to the original developers? How much does Nintendo keep? How much gets paid to the actual people who programmed and created the game? Nintendo is just a middleman, selling other people's games for cash. It's simple and streamlined, but I just don't think it's worth paying for, especially since there is only a pathetic amount of games offered. From Nintendo's point of view, a CD rom with 300 NES ROMs burned on it should be sold for $1,500. Ridiculous.

I don't think Nintendo ever set out to provide better emulation or quality pricing emulation or any of that. It seems the only excellence they strove for was in accessibility. In you words, Nintendo appeals to "lazy/dumb people". Don't underestimate their strength in numbers. :wink:

It's funny. I've downloaded around 6 virtual console games already. A game like R-Type for example, I could probably easily set up on my computer within 5 minutes if I know where to look. On the other hand I'm not interested in setting up and managing a TG16 emulator and hunting a ROM site with the game down, and then have to deal with learning the emulator interface and button configuration just to play one game I might like. There it is a click away on the shop channel, ready to run on my Wii without any hassle. Of course I take it. The $8 price is pretty steep and I hate it, but downloading a VC game doesn't feel like I'm spending money. It's more like I'm depositing a fat chunk of money and slowly draining it with each VC game download. Nintendo's made it too easy to buy games, and my money's just floating away.

Evilhead:

The Classic Controller is wired, only in that it plugs into the wiimote. it even has a slot on the back that you slide the remote into to hold it, so it's all fairly clean.

Nope, the Wii remote and the Classic Controller don't hook up like that. There's connections on the back of the CC and a button to release them, but no way to attach a Wii remote to it.

I wish developers more often give out free shovelware and classic titles like they do with the PCs. Though nowadays, they're trying to cash in on the whole classic compilation idea for PC games as well. But in the past, games like Command & Conquer used to be freely distributable without any legal ramifications. Duke Nukem and even Duke Nukem 3D were on the verge of being a near public domain property since they were considered to be classics.

The retail release of Duke3D came with a bunch of demos for older games and Duke Nukem 1 and 2 in their full versions. I still have the disk around somewhere.

As for the free distribution thing: C&C offered this mainly for multiplayer purposes, since the games could run using either disk(Each containing all missions and graphics, and the cutscenes for one side) There was also no real copy protection other than CD burners costing a small fortune. Similar multiplayer methods were used by Warcraft 1 and 2, if I recall correctly Warcraft 2 allowed 8-player multiplayer with only 3 disks. Good way to get more people to buy the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing more bundles where a previous part of a game series is included with the newest, similar to the whole OoT Master Quest thing.