MnP 120: Secret of Mana - Make A Wish

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Feels kinda funny to be doing this again. My choice for the next source is Secret of Mana's track "A Wish" (also known as the frosty forest or ice-crystal fields), a dreamily simple track that plays while fighting wolves and spear-wielding turtles through a lovely ice-crystal field. A bit minimalistic, but enchanting. -Souperion

Deadline: Dec 23rd @ 1PM

Vote Ends: Dec 27th (sun) @ 1 PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP120

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Source-Picks are limited to the era of gaming 1984-2006.  In other words, Nes/Sega Master to PS2/GC/XBox 1.  Going to relax this rule with certain Indie Titles like Shovel Knight, Undertale and possibly Crypt of the Necrodancer.  Update me upon further titles that have that 'Retro Fidelity'.  Thanks!
  2. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  3. Small tempo changes are OK.  But not 140 to 80 etc. 
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded.  It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by HoboKa

11 hours ago, Wassup Thunder said:

How is there already an entry? APZX composes like lightning!

Ya know sometimes it be what it be. At work I would say F&%*ing Magic, or draw a big circle with the letters FM inside lol.

Really though, this is a very simple source (or at least the MIDI shows it that way). Consequently, that means what you're working with is also simple. You find a few basic building block sounds, aim for a general tone, then ????, and profit?

Meanwhile I'm still trying to figure out what to do for 2 different songs due basically back to back, this and one for a songwriter contest.

Feels so intimidating, again, lol. (In a good way--gotta step up the game.)

Edited by The Vodoú Queen

12 hours ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

@APZX Congrats getting yours in. :)

Thanks man, and believe me I know what it can be like juggling multiple things at the same time. Truthfully, there really is no good way to go about other than to focus on one at a time. When you hit a wall on one then you focus on the other until you hit that wall. Keep repeating until eventually you're there (mostly-ish).

On 12/14/2020 at 9:28 AM, The Vodoú Queen said:

Welp, that's mine in, in a few minutes. :)

@Souperion & @HoboKaThank you, so much, for the opportunity to remix this song. It truly is beautiful. Never noticed it when I did play Secret of Mana. I'm glad I got to notice it now. ♥

Yeah, it's a good tune and an excellent pick for the theme.  I actually beat this game, and I rarely ever complete action RPGs, other than the Soulblazer trilogy.  Lmao.  I'll take the thanks, but direct it more at Souperion.  :D ...edits of Mana.

Edited by HoboKa

1 hour ago, HoboKa said:

Yeah, it's a good tune and an excellent pick for the theme.  I actually beat this game, and I rarely ever complete action RPGs, other than the Soulblazer trilogy.  Lmao.  I'll take the thanks, but direct it more at Souperion.  :D ...edits of Mana.

Soulblazer, you say? I'd enjoy some of those songs showing up in this compo, just saying :P Always glad to pick a source folks enjoy.

3 minutes ago, Wassup Thunder said:

Hey, uh, technical question regarding the MnP compo... I ended up slipping a few measures of a different song into my remix. Is that kosher with the Meat n' Potatoes composition guidelines? If not, I can replace it no problem. 

Shouldn't be a problem as I ever really addressed that.  Voters may find it a detractor.  Up to you. 

Edited by HoboKa

On 12/15/2020 at 8:06 PM, Wassup Thunder said:

Hey, uh, technical question regarding the MnP compo... I ended up slipping a few measures of a different song into my remix. Is that kosher with the Meat n' Potatoes composition guidelines? If not, I can replace it no problem. 

It is punishable by law, and you shall be sent to the guillotine!!

Haha i'm joking.

On 12/15/2020 at 11:29 AM, Souperion said:

Soulblazer, you say? I'd enjoy some of those songs showing up in this compo, just saying :P Always glad to pick a source folks enjoy.

I attempted that at PRC few years back and couldn't get too much interest going** (except for the Terranigma Sad theme, irrc...but that goes 8 years back).  However, we have a new round of participants with vastly different tastes, so maybe you'll get lucky?  :D :D Plus, OCR recently released a Terranigma Project, so that might help. 

Edited by HoboKa
Fixed this up grammatically.  T'was messy.

I mean, I love the entire SoulBlazer trilogy and played all the games (even though my first and favourite by rose-tinted shades is Illusion of Gaia.)

I like the Tears of Lance (Sad Theme) from Gaia, and always thought the Terra theme from Terranigma was jazzy. ^_^ As well as Angkor Wat being oddly one of my favourite place themes out of the trilogy. So I wouldn't mind a round dedicated to the three games.

1 hour ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

I mean, I love the entire SoulBlazer trilogy and played all the games (even though my first and favourite by rose-tinted shades is Illusion of Gaia.)

I like the Tears of Lance (Sad Theme) from Gaia, and always thought the Terra theme from Terranigma was jazzy. ^_^ As well as Angkor Wat being oddly one of my favourite place themes out of the trilogy. So I wouldn't mind a round dedicated to the three games.

Could consider it.  Probabably allow medleys in it too.