PRC431 - On A Different Planet With Rings (Godzilla)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 431
PRCv18-11

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

In PRC429 it was Marcusg who got the win. Wassup Thunder, Souperion and TheVodouQueen couldn't stop him. Didn't got the source yet so here's a selection by myself. A difficult one, because it's from Godzilla and the MIDI's are in 12 BPM.

Source: Godzilla (NES) - Saturn

http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/PRC431_Godzilla_-_Saturn.mid

http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/PRC431_Godzilla NES_Saturn.mid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla:_Monster_of_Monsters

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC431

The deadline is Wednesday August 18th 2021 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the link https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC431 for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread. 

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC433.

Everyone can enter, no votes are doubled.

Marcusg still may pick a source, send it to me so I can use it for this or the next round.

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC Home Page

Edited by Bundeslang

On 8/7/2021 at 6:17 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

Guys if it helps, i've sequenced a new MIDI. All the problems listed have been fixed (Including an added drum track)

https://www.vgmusic.com/file/cfcd5e5d3d66e18f349b9c756d34aa97.html#disqus_thread

Thanks. I uploaded the MID by Souperion as second resource and replaced the first resource with this song.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has songs The following people compete against each other:

Souperion

Wassup Thunder

TheVodouQueen

To vote, do the following:

Visit https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC431 and listen to all the entries

Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

Fill in the entries from first to third in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 3.

State a reasoning for it.

Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. They get a 3 point bonus, but they are not allowed to vote for their own track. They only have to fill in their top 2, leave the third box empty.

Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results.

You have until Monday August 23rd 2021 6:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 3 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ### Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

3: (remixer C )

(reasoning)

It's results time.

TheVodouQueen got 11 points but still gets the last place wooden spoon.

Souperion received 12 points and second place.

And the winner of PRC431 Wassup Thunder is with 13 points.

Wassup Thunder you are the winner. It was very close, but enough. You may pick a source for PRC433. 

Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (1 September 2021), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/prc431 for the votes and comments.

PRC432 already started.

Edited by Bundeslang

BTW, FWIW, I think some people voiced in the comments/critiques that they didn't get the vocal / beginning & ending references in my remix, or the song title...

It comes from the fairly popularly meme'd and infamous scene/line of kinda stilted dialogue between two major characters in the newer Godzilla (2014) movie, the first one that restarted the big "MonsterVerse" franchise under Legendary Pictures:

Sorry if it was a bit too obscure and I lost points or something with it...

Yo dudes it's me! As you can tell i missed quite a few rounds, both submitting and voting. Well truth be told is, i was on vacation for 9 days, and i usually don't bring my software with me, nor do i type well on a phone. That combined with very busy areas and low signal, so i couldn't submit any music, or upload any voting. I have GarageBand, but it's not the best for remixing personally, and i'm not always sitting making music, i'm exploring and doing other things.

Now i got back a few days ago, and since then i've been busy adjusting to normal life, so i haven't had the chance to vote or submit. But since i am here, i will listen to the rounds i've missed, and try to provide feedback (Both MnP and PRC). Congrats to the winners of all these rounds! Hope your days are as good as mine!

All the best!

Ok time to submit feedback for the rounds i've missed. Let's take it from the top yes?

Wassup Thunder - I am really starting to think this is your signature style. It's what you are mostly known for, and you do it very well. The melodies just transition well, especially in high energy sources like this. I also really dig the call and response of the melodies here, it goes from something simple like a 4/4 into a complex fill. Now this source is very short, as with a lot of NES tunes, so it's hard to loop it, without it being boring. Plus as well, when you go for long lengths, you really have to add creativity. Throughout all this, you really have proved to me, that you can turn 1 melody that lasts about 20-30 seconds into a full 4 minute racing machine. I love how you've managed to change the chords and bass, while still keeping the core foundations in tact, it's great. The only critique i can give it, is that i feel the drums are a little too quiet for me. I would have loved for a more fatter beat, to drive that intensity home, but really that's all i have, the track was lovely from start to finish, really like the direction you took, just lovely work. Well done!

Souperion - This is a lovely take on the source, i really like how you've made a very short and simple source shine. Loving the dynamic changes here, very moody and dark spacious intro, almost right out of a horror movie, with a nice texture shift of the melody. It's got some lovely pads and soundscapes. It's almost like a complete 180 to the original source. The second part of the remix is also very cool, it's very similar to Wassup Thunder's in that it's full on Eurobeat, the vibe is kind of similar. However a similar critique in Wassup Thunder's also makes it here, in that the drums are quiet, and so the synths seem to mask it. The synths themselves are very lovely sounding, and do provide a seriously nice contrast from the first part. It's like ambient, and then suddenly Eurobeat electronica. The only other thing to critique, is the duration it takes to get to it. You have almost 2 minutes of what i would call an intro, before it arrives, and when it does arrive, it's very sudden, there's no real hype or build-up to it. It's just there. It's not bad or anything, but for me i feel i don't get as much relief as it should. Like i don't feel as hyped. However though the synths sounds are super lovely, and very nice, the best bit about your remix. All in all, lovely work, well done!

TheVodouQueen - Interesting rhythms in this one, great processing. Has a really nice drum groove. The drums are really tight and sound awesome. The melody seems to come in at around 1 minute in, it' obvious that you've structured it like a intro/source/groove thing. Really lovely pads, the whole thing is very spacious i love it. Personally if i were to critique it, i don't like how simple it is. You have your beat, then the melody, then the beat, especially for 5 minutes. Towards the middle things get complex, however it feels weird atonal at parts, the melody looses the original meaning, and opts for more complex jazz. I don't know what the remix is trying to tell me, but for me i feels it's a little too sporadic. Also the out of key parts (Or at least it feels like that to me), are a little on the jarring side to me. There's only some small sections where it sounds like the original, but this is probably just a transition. Really my main critique is how empty it feels. Sure when the saxophone comes in, it sounds lovely, but there's a lot of drums going on, and not a lot of melodies. The drums were the best bit about this, your drum work is incredible, the grooves kept me vibing throughout. Really the idea isn't bad, it's lovely, and definately strong production here, so it actually turns out better in the end. All in all, lovely work, well done!

All done. Hopefully i'll managed to submit on time, and vote on time too lol.

Edited by TheVideoGamer