OCR00157 - Turok 2 "Port of Adia Drummix"

m68030

Turok 2 'Port of Adia Drummix'

I've got seriously mixed feelings about this track. It's really hard to be

too critical of it, because it's just such a fun theme.. Exciting and driving.

The pizzicato strings just push forward so much, and simple rock beat

drums give it a great action movie feel. Really gets me pumped up. But

then it hits you.. The strings really dont sound that good, and the piano

line is a bit tinny sounding. But it sounds so nice. The drums sound

pretty good. Very solid. Give it a listen.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Dude I liked this...you know why? It sounds exactly like the level music in the port of Adia. I have played this game before, obviously. I have also beaten it, it was hard, but i won...but anyways..my fav part about this remix is how the remixer of this song recognized both of the level's parts...so like the last minute of this is the end of the level when you're outside...the beginning is like when you're in the port of adia in the game. Cool remix, dude! :D

• 11 months later...

I intended to get this mix a long time ago. I really did. And I'm really pissed that I didn't.

JV did a great drop keeping the track to what it is, didn't stretch it into something it's not. I got this expecting to hear tons and tons of percussion (something like rAAw Battery), but it's pretty close to the original, only amplified by good string use and powerful drums.

My only complaint is that the piano section is too loud, and pushes the song a little too much. A minor flaw though.

Great work.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Ahhh Turok 2. Memories galore..many years ago it truly was my favroite game indeed. Cerebral Bore and all 8)

Port of Adia music ? Well to be honest i enjoyed the original tune better.

Nice try though, could maybe do with some other set of instruments..

I agree with RimFrost about the different set of instruments.

• 1 year later...

Very midi and without a lot of variation from the source. It's a pretty good song, but you can tell that it's a very early sub. The strings sound good when they are moving fast, and the part is pretty exciting, but it gets pretty repetitive pretty fast. I think mixing up the orchestral elements with some more pronounced electronica and improving the samples used would make this mix a lot more palatable. Decent, but not spectacular.

• 1 year later...

There are parts in here that really remind me of Secret of Mana. Strange, and kinda cool.

Overall, very midi sounding, but it's not all that bad of a listen. Apparently pretty close to the source, but it's all new to me, and the melodies are very driving. The overall drive get's a little old after a while; it would be nice to have a break somewhere in the mix.

Good melodies, a bit repetative, and some older sounds. It's keepable to me, but not really a favorite.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

One of the first remixes I heard from this site, and quite possibly the greatest reason why I keep coming back for more. At the time, I had just recently beat the game a year beforehand, and I was surprised, and still am, that a remix came from one of my most revered games. Turok hasn't been the same since, but Seeds of Evil is up there as one of my favorite games, as is this track here. The aging is apparent, but the source tune brings back so many fond memories. A great piece from Acclaim's and OCR's past. Love it.

• 3 years later...

While I do agree with some of the critiques including the midi sounds and repetition in the first half of the ReMix, I do have to say that it is a decent listen. At least there were some changes near the end of the mix, but I would have done a tiny bit of trimming in some areas. Especially like the opening build-up and the overall tense yet energetic vibe I get from this, almost like it was fit for a chase or running bit. Not bad, I can see where I would have loved it when it was originally posted.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00157 - Turok 2 "Port of Adia Drummix"
  • 3 years later...

This barely sounds different than a recording someone made of a midi of the original song.

It sounds so close to the original that I would rather just listen to the original.
It was a fine remix back in the day, but it just doesn't hold up to modern standards.  This could be a really sweet remix if they revised it with a better sound font; up the sound quality a bit...