OCR00041 - Gradius "Horizontal Armada"

Gradius 'Horizontal Armada'

This sounds pretty cool, fake orchestra with drums and other electronic sounds! Not the best Gradius tune in the world, but this one was a good one to remix and give it that djp touch (it sounds a wee bit similar to his Star Fox mix). The french horn sounds pretty good, though I am used to a bit more texture from french horn sounds. A good listen.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I love this remix! The horns really add to the "prestegioius fanfare" type of feeling you get from this mix, and the strings add yet another solid layer to it. I love it... it's your typical "heroic" sounding fanfare with some syncopation and an energetic beat! This is great, I can listen to it repeatedly without it losing any of its impact. It sounds like it could be the opening theme for some sci-fi show. Great mix! :)

personal rating: 9/10

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I love the beginning of this remix! I don't know what it is with me and songs that start quiet then explode into something much louder... but I love them. Great work. I have never played Gradius let alone heard the music, but regardless this is some great music.

• 11 months later...

Pretty nice sample quality, especially considering the age of the mix, but I have to admit im not really digging the bass sound. There is a lot of energy in the percussion without having a huge drum sound, and overall it meshed pretty well, with the bass exception.

The interpretation is a little too basic for my tastes, but the song is short enough that it doesn't over-repeat.

• 1 year later...

The first few seconds really makes me think of Star Trek.

This is a weird concoction. Having the horn in the techno-y feel is very strange to me. Almost too opposite to really mesh. Despite that, the horn sound is pretty decent for the age. The rest of the piece meshes well together, and the mix is pretty energetic throughout. Oh, and the ending is pretty ubrupt.

Overall, I'm not crazy about the mix, and have to unfortunately pass on it, but it seems that the other reviewers enjoyed it, so it's a personal opinion.

• 2 months later...
The first few seconds really makes me think of Star Trek.

Sort of...

They remind me more of Star Fox.

I keep having this bizarre deja vu whenever I hear this and it's driving me nuts. :P

Still this is a great mix, very space worthy.

• 3 months later...

The Star Fox sound is perhaps unsurprising, seeings as this was released a week after 'Clan McLoud', which shares many of the same instruments djpretzel was using at the time. That being said, the theme really is space adventure-ish, so... identity crisis definately does ensue.

For what this is, I really enjoy it. It's a good melody, done with some style. It's got a nice, powerful rhythm which I dig. There are signs of early-itis around the edges, but at its core, it's pretty solid. Good proof of the quality that exists even in the original batch of mixes.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Oh my god I remember this coming up on my shuffle a bunch of times! I can't believe it's ReMix 41, or DJP again! 

Besides the weird transition from intro to main part, this is a pretty solid mix. Quite a bit of substance and originality, I do like that brief breakdown with the bass, and the little harp thing going on in the 'chorus'? 'bridge'? I'm bad at music but I like the harp when it's there. Really helps give some lightness to the overall big important french horn outer space disco drama that happens with the rest of the song. I wish there was a bit more variety with the instruments doing the lead melody but, eh. 

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00041 - Gradius "Horizontal Armada"