OCR01558 - Super Mario World "Monstrous Turtles!"

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say this track would go best in place of tremendous horror. The grey walls of the castles in Super Mario World don't even match up to this. With this song, I think of a once extravagant castle with chipped crystal chandeliers, torn and frayed red tapestries, deep darkness outside, and most importantly a bloody, gory kitchen and dining room with monstrous creepy cooking pots.

What am awesome amazing remix .D What can I say about this that hasn't already been said? I really like the quiet parts, like at ~1:45 or so. The minor-key overworld melody is genius, actually it reminds me of the Nutcracker for some reason ^_^ One of the things that I think you do really well is building up and transitioning, so that the whole piece flows nicely but encompasses different moods. The quiet parts build up to give the bigger more dramatic parts even more impact, if that makes any sense.

We will be keeping this song on our Halloween playlist .D Overall it is just a really badass track.

I'm not really a fan of the source
wut.

alright, everyone is entitled to their opinion... EXCEPT YOU :P

anyway. on the topic of this mix, I don't know if I've reviewed it already, but it's probably my personal favorite of andy's work. seriously stellar and chill-inducingly nostalgic

edit: I just read my previous review of this mix where I complained about overcompression or something that probably isn't even real. I must have been under the influence of some ridiculously debilitating drug

Edited by Benjamin Briggs

• 3 months later...

Dearest Zircon,

Firstly, this is one of my favorite remixes on all of OCRemix.

Secondly, were you aware that this song is used in a theatre production entitled "Boobs and Goombas"? And by theatre production I mean a Super Mario Burlesque show. :< Two girls dressed like ghosts dance to it, and... it... was a surprisingly fitting song.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

An optional dungeon in the Forever Forest: that's where this remix should be. :D

It's powerful, follows the source, while adding a lot of creepy atmosphere... could go well with a Mario mod for Doom or Quake too. :)

Edited by swansdown

An optional dungeon in the Forever Forest: that's where this remix should be. :D

Before this remix, I adamantly only listened to original vg music - that changed after my sister sent this my way one day. A year later, Monstrous Turtles holds just as much impact on me as it did then. It's powerful, follows the source, while adding a lot of creepy atmosphere... could go well with a Mario mod for Doom or Quake too. :)

If I may recommend a map (or possibly a level pack) for one of id Software's old-fashioned first-person shooters (or perhaps even a new FPS), how about a giant, old, crumbling, once-opulent Vlad the Impaler style castle equipped with giant kitchens, a series of dining halls, and basements full of meat-processing machinery such as food processors, ground beef paste squeezers, and gyro spits, and whose purpose is to take human flesh by force, slaughter them, and prepare them into gourmet dishes?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

When I first heard the bell-led section at 0:18, I realized I heard almost the same melody in Fungi Forest Night (1:36-1:43) from Donkey Kong 64. Coincidence? Well, what matters is that hearing it in this mix creates an extra air of familiarity, which is never a bad thing.

I'm all over the grungy guitar entering at 1:05 (it encourages me to dance to the main 4/4 beat rather than its own beat for some reason) and the whirling-all-over-the-map arpeggio coming just before - each has its own yin/yang energy signal that doesn't clash with the other, so their simultaneous comebacks at 2:48 provide extra oomph. The machinery-ish percussion is very welcoming the way it eases into the action, especially at 2:11. I also like how the Forest of Illusion cameos are played via evil/somber Christmas bells - you don't want to spend the holidays in THIS castle. :P

A sweet blend of fun and creepy.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01558 - Super Mario World "Monstrous Turtles!"
  • 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...