OCR01558 - Super Mario World "Monstrous Turtles!"

djpretzel

"BRILLIANT!" is the only term that came to mind when first listening to this track. Zircon, I don't know how you do it, but you just did it again. I'm blown away by the awesome emotion in this mix and the direction you took these source tracks. Brilliant!!

I need to get this one on the iPod immediately.

Nice jazzy stuff you got there!

I haven't listened to this since the WIPs where I said, "drop a guitar in there and you got this." Sounds like you took that advice and ran with it! And just as I suspected, you brought it all home.

Great work, man. I could be biased since the source is one of my all-time favourite VGM tracks, but this is my favourite OCR release in many, many moons.

-m

Wow...simply wow. This is possibly THE best ReMix of the Super Mario World Castle Theme I've ever heard. It combines lots of stuff from my previous Castle favorites and then some (for those keeping track, there's Tackle's "Castle of Inspiration" DoD rock version and ARMCANNON's live version).

I'm not a fan of electronic music, but I really love this one because it's easy on the ears. The overall style of the ReMix is very different from the Zircon I'm used to. It's a lot more in-your-face electronic fusion which combines ambient, trip-hop (that violin in the intro '37 reminds me of Massive Attack's stuff), and aggressive sounds. I love the machinary sounds in the background, reminds me of Super Mario RPG and Final Fantasy 6's machine-based tracks (you know which ones I'm talking about). The electric guitar riffs which start off at 1:05 are AWESOME, man...I wonder who provided them? A remixer we know or what? The Organ at 1:15 is also so, so cool.

Loved how you changed up to ambient at the middle of the track. I especially adore the jingle part starting at 1:55 and onward because it reminds me of Batman Returns' soundtrack...which it's strange since that part simply a jingle version of Mario World's Overworld Theme at the forest area.

Finally, the orchestra-like finale toward the end is a nice way to finish off the track. For some reason, it reminds me of FF6's Dancing Mad.

Excellent work, Zircon. This remix is officially in my most favorites list.

Y'all hatin' on my title! BTW Jon's original title was "Koopaclysm". pixietricks suggested "Kill the Beast!" (Beauty & the Beast reference) as well as "Mario Means Business!", the latter of which I liked, but ultimately I decided to go with something stupid that no one would like. LoL~!!

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the feedback! It makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

Mustin; I did take your advice on using guitar. Thanks man!

Swordbreaker/OA; The guitar is sampled. It's from the library "Lyrical Distortion" run through some FL effects. I would have used real guitar, but I can't play well enough just yet. I didn't ask someone to because I prefer having immediate control over what I'm doing. I'm OK with sacrificing a little realism if it means being able to adjust timing, pitches, articulation, and tone instantly. I'd feel bad asking a guitarist to keep re-recording every time!

I also appreciate the comparison to Protricity's style by Dave and others. Along with Disco Dan and Starblast, he's one of my top ReMixers and I've modeled some of my stuff with him in mind.

Swordbreaker/OA; The guitar is sampled. It's from the library "Lyrical Distortion" run through some FL effects. I would have used real guitar, but I can't play well enough just yet. I didn't ask someone to because I prefer having immediate control over what I'm doing. I'm OK with sacrificing a little realism if it means being able to adjust timing, pitches, articulation, and tone instantly. I'd feel bad asking a guitarist to keep re-recording every time!

Wow...that guitar sounds so real to me. Maybe it gives the illusion of being real because it's mixed up with all the other stuff, sort of like a masking effect. Either way, I need to train my ears a bit more.

Zircon learning to play guitar? Very interesting...

I think that lead synth that comes in at 00:46 is too loud, and it's also rather "dead" - it would have sounded much better had it been more modulated. Very nice arps though. And the church organ at 1:15 fits so well in this mix.

The guitars reminded me of the UT soundtrack... they sound sampled, but it doesn't matter at all. They sound much better than anything I've ever managed to fake so far :) . It gets a lot worse when people fake lead guitars... anyway, I actually liked the song title. But it really wouldn't have been the same without that exclamation mark :D

Yes! Yes! Yes!!! Man, I personally thought we were in a bit of a quality dry spell here recently on OCR. Then this remix comes out of nowhere and explodes on the scene. GREAT stuff. The guitar does sound completely real to me too. You won't here a negative comment from me on this one. In my opinion, it's one of the best remixes on this site.

That makes two wishes fulfilled. First Robotnik Radio gets posted, and now someone makes a kickass shredding version of Koopa's theme from SMW. When I listened to Koopa vs. Kefka, I thought, "Were I a remixer, the first song I'd make would be a electic/metal version of that Koopa theme." It's just perfectly epic. Great work and way to read my mind.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01558 - Super Mario World "Monstrous Turtles!"