A question for all reviewers

Malenien

As I was going for a run, I was listening to an OCR song that I had previously thought was "so-so," but as I kept running I realized the beat really mixed in with my rhythm, and I could hear and appreciate more and more the background drums and synths and how it all mixed together. Now, because of that, it's a song that I really like. This is not the first time this has happened with a song - and not just while running, but also working, cooking, and even just chilling there, almost falling asleep. At least for me, the environment and my mindset really affect my enjoyment of a song.

So my question is, to reviewers, do you have a ritual or set environment in which you like to listen to entries?

This is not to make any reviews appear trite, or more subjective, at all; I understand there are numerous technical aspects to remixing and music composition that I cannot comprehend. I was just curious what kinds of things people like to do when they first listen to an OCR song. So, share your rituals!

I have actually been avoiding reviewing songs.

I blew out these computer speakers off a FFIX remix (what a way to go heh).

So it's really hard to really judge a song until I burn it to disc and put it in the car... which even then the spearkers arn't great anymore.... there were a couple of times the volume was too loud (say... I was listening to ZZTop and then I switched to the Advent Children soundtrack) so some kinda guitar strike or something helped my rear speakers in there "decay".

I guess my "ritual" would be to find a song that, in trebel, sounds really good on the computer. So far its been songs I'm familiar with from games. I then make a whole mix of my favourite (so far there are 3 discs) songs I had downloaded and then I drive around with them and then listen to them with my headphones on during class.

If I can rock out to it and loose myself while doing art... or if its really good for driving (the newly submitted FFVII "Speed Limit" is a great freeway driving song :3 I also drive a large '84 Buick LeSabre V8) then it's good in my book.

It doesnt always have to rock out either... I have a few "slower" pieces to even the playing field... but just as long as I can truly enjoy it in what I have to do throughout my day...

Yesterday I was pulling weeds... and thinking how funy it be if I had a few Super Mario Bros 2 remixes playing hehe

We all listen to music for the emotional experience we get from it, but emotions are fickle and can easily be influenced by many factors, as you said in the first post.

That's why, ideally, emotional response is ignored when writing reviews. Instead, reviews should be based on things like composition, effectiveness and musicianship. Once a reviewer has a basic knowledge of technical things like these, he can learn to listen to music analytically every time, whether he feels emotionally engaged or not.

That said, the OCR reviews forum isn't limited to professional, technical review posts. General feedback is always welcome. We remixers love hearing how much a mix resonated with you or moved you or helped you through a rough day, etc. It may not develop our musical skills, but it's incredibly rewarding. :)

We all listen to music for the emotional experience we get from it, but emotions are fickle and can easily be influenced my many factors, as you said in the first post.

That's why, ideally, emotional response is ignored when writing reviews. Instead, reviews should be based on things like composition, effectiveness and musicianship. Once a reviewer has a basic knowledge of technical things like these, he can learn to listen to music analytically every time, whether he feels emotionally engaged or not.

That said, the OCR reviews forum isn't limited to professional, technical review posts. General feedback is always welcome. We remixers love hearing how much a mix resonated with you or moved you or helped you through a rough day, etc. It may not develop our musical skills, but it's incredibly rewarding. :)

And you, sephfire, are incredibly rewarding to the ears :)

I agree with the reviews.

When reviewing something you have to look at it is it is. You cant let your own feelings and emotions control your review. I mean... you wouldn't want to pick up a GameInformer and see that Halo3 got a really bad review becasue the person reviewing it was having a shitty day and couldn't get the game of the controls or something... ya' know?

I know I'm comparing apples and bananas here but still... basic idea is there.

That said thats still why I avoid reviewing right now... INfact its hard to decide what songs I really wanna download since I have so many audio levels missing 'cus the speakers are shot

So my question is, to reviewers, do you have a ritual or set environment in which you like to listen to entries?

Personally, I do the bulk of my listening while working/studying at the computer or surfing the web. Because of the way we're forced to multitask in the modern world, it's hard to find time to sit down and just listen for listening's sake. Kind of sucks, honestly. We hear about people a few generations ago having these meticulous, reverent rituals regarding music--taking a new vinyl home, carefully setting it up in the record player, sitting down in the big comfy listening chair (listening chair! oh, the luxuries of the past, when objects had singular uses!), and blissing out with a drink or other favored substance. I haven't had time to do that since way back in early high school. :(

Listening while doing computer work gives me a sort of cerebral connection to the music, especially if it's conducive to thinking rapidly and focusing on tasks at hand. Depending on mood, of course, it can vary from anything with a strong, driving beat and propelling melodies, to virtuoso stuff with a component of brain or ear candy.

However, there's also the music that makes it to portable players, CDs etc., and gets listened to while in the car, walking, exercising, and what have you. There's a more physical rapport for me in that case, where the body subconsciously moves in time to the music, and thoughts are set free by repetitive low-maintenance motion and the transporting qualities of the music itself. I think that's the closest I get to listening for listening's sake, and probably the most enjoyment I get from music overall. It tends to be stuff that has a strong emotional impact, as opposed to music that is more technically impressive than emotionally stirring. When I'm gathering stuff to put on a portable player or CD, it tends to be an easy choice--there's an emotional resonance with a song that makes it leap out when browsing through tons of tracks.

Similarly, I guess that colors my reviews of music. Stuff that's moving leads to simple, gleeful reactions, and whatever flaws the piece might have pale in its overall emotional presence. The reverse is true for pieces that are more technical--it's easier to detach myself from the music and try to articulate what I think are its strengths and weaknesses. Of course, there are also the extreme exceptions--stuff that is such a marvel of technique that it reduces me to a slack-jawed "wow, teht is gud"-type response, etc.

Anyway, to finally answer the OP, I suppose both of those listening modes are somewhat ritualistic; and yes, context does play a part in my enjoyment of music. For me, though, I think there has to be at least the seed of a certain quality present in the music for it to make the cut, so to speak, into the stuff that gets listened to in a more intimate way.

One thing I've found true--even terrible live music can be enjoyable in a good setting, with friends, great ambiance, or what have you. When you incorporate other facets of life into the experience of listening to music, it certainly enhances your appreciation of the art itself, if perhaps just by blurring the divisions between different sensory phenomena.

My 2c.

When I was reviewing stuff on VGMix, I would base my entire review on the first listen. I still feel that's the best way to go about it, since listening to it a billion times before you say anything would dull your feelings about the song. Sometimes I would write AS I listen. It's also great for a musician to get feedback as fast as possible. Some people would probably disagree with this viewpoint heavily and say "but some songs you can really grow into!" Sorry, I don't have that kind of time, especially with the sheer number of VGMixes that were on the site. In fact, a lot of songs on VGMix I have deleted since the site went down, because I suddenly stopped liking almost all the songs I kept from the site. So generally my opinion on a lot of songs worsen over time. That's just how I do things. You can listen to the songs however many times you like, I don't care (゚⊿゚)

As for what to write, it's simple. Tell them what you liked about the song, then what you didn't, and how to avoid the same kind of song issues in the future, or tips on how to resolve certain songwriting/production issues.

Thankfully I'm at least a little knowledgeable on these things, so I can be a little less ambiguous than the average listener, but everyone's feedback still counts. Personally, I like seeing what a normal person thinks about my really really weird stuff :) though unfortunately I haven't made nearly enough of that lately.

There's a song I have which I have permanently tied to the memory of when my first girlfriend agreed to go out with me. A good day indeed. It was a hot summer day, I had it playing on my minidisc player on the bus ride home, the cool wind was blowing through the open bus window into my face, and right as the bus reached a certain intersection (Wharncliffe & Baseline), and the song reached a certain point, (around 2:53) I felt what can only be described as a perfect moment. Life was beautiful. 21 years; and I don't think any moment has topped it.

Anyway, it was a very good song... but from that moment on it's been a very great song.

I think that, for the purpose of reviewing something here, one should try to voice their opinions very soon after first hearing it.

Association is the most important thing (IMO) in music. I mean, take March Of the Little People from A New Hope. If I heard that song on its own, I'd probably toss it aside and never listen to it again. Becuase of the years of hearing with the Star Wars movie and games, however, it means a lot more than what is communicated in the notes.

just to use another Star Wars example: I used to dislike Parade of the Ewoks, but after hearing the song over and over again in Star Wars Droid Works it became my favorite Star Wars theme.

It's not a conscious, "well it makes me think of this part of the movie or this area in a game." It's more a subconscious, just liking the song sort of thing.

What I do is put the song on repeat in Winamp, listen for the first few seconds then carry on doing something else. If it still has my attention while I'm doing other stuff, I listen to it more closely on the third or fourth time around. Unless of course, the first few seconds are REALLY GOOD and it sucks me into paying attention to only the song.

That said, the OCR reviews forum isn't limited to professional, technical review posts. General feedback is always welcome. We remixers love hearing how much a mix resonated with you or moved you or helped you through a rough day, etc.

A well-worded point, and one that wasn't actually in the Review guidelines. I very shamelessly cribbed it (point #4). Thanks, Dan!

I also added a point that people should realize it's ok to post a review for a mix that hasn't received one in a while. Checking through 'em all (evil mod purposes), frequently enough I see older thread bumped by n00bs going "I don't know if I'm allowed to post on something older, but..."

As far as my style of reviewing goes, it's almost never after the first or first couple of listens. On that level, it's pretty much like my judging, i.e. loads of listens and direct comparisons with the source material. If I'm judging, I keep OCR's standards and guidelines in mind. If not, it's just a personal opinion.

As for the "right time" to make a review, there really is no right time as opposed to a wrong time.

Reviews after initial listens provide a raw reaction at the expense of some or all important qualifiers like familiarity with the track, the source material, and/or the ReMixer's other works.

Reviews long after the initial listens provide a familiar reaction and potentially more insight at the expense of one's raw reaction, but allow the comparison of one's familiar reaction to one's raw reaction.

Either time is perfectly fine, IMO. I've certainly made comments in both situations. People that have significant changes in opinion long after first hearing a mix can (and do) post another review comment down the line if they want to. The important part about reviewing as far as OCR's concerned is to review often.

Excellent points, all. I agree with the sentiment that it would be nice to just be able to listen to music sometimes - just the song and only that with no distractions. I sometimes am able to do that, but like I mentioned originally, it's usually right when I'm falling asleep. Of course, this usually makes for some crazy images right during the just-about-to-fall-asleep-not-sure-if-this-is-a-dream-or-real phase.

Not sure how that would influence a review for me though. Since I have some pretty crazy half-asleep dreams, though - I would say pretty positively.