What 3D RPG music do you think is the best?

Azure Prower

Er.. it doesn't suddenly gives the composer special superhuman abilities. There's no link there.

It's like comparing chip tunes to Halo music. Which one are you going to prefer while playing Halo? Just an example, though I know every one has their own tastes in music.

Just as time progresses, I feel the newer music that comes out is more refined. Refined music for refined games. Even Jun Senoue said he couldn't make the awesome type of music he did recently with 10 year old music mixing technology.

How ever there are some dated composures that you can sit back and chill to and some times there are times they do not fit. Doesn't make them inferior.

the only difference is that in the past, composers were limited by how much space could be allocated to sound and music. Even mitsuda talked about how he was constantly limited when composing the Chrono Cross soundtrack. with the technology now, there is a lot more freedom. you can have 100 sound tracks and full orchestra and all that good stuff.

anyway, did i say Chrono Cross already? and Baten Kaitos and Star Ocean TtEoT (is that right?)

well most 2D games are the older ones. i dont see why there should be a difference in the music of 2D or 3D games if they were made in the same time period.

Ding! Exactly the reason why I specified 3d. Or else I would be flooded with old beloved rpgs :(

Of course. I haven't played any retail RPGs since Fable and don't know what's out there really.

Final Trigger of Phantasia 6.7; definately that one.

I lolled for real

Oh and uh.....

I don't know. I don' t play a lot of RPGs. My favorite RPG tunes are the old ones. 3-D RPGs try to be all Hans Zimmer-like and they suck because its just bland orchestra shit. Stuff like Chrono Trigger, FF8, FF7, EarthBound, OgreBattle, Iluusion of Gaia; that's the real goods.

Halo's soundtrack is boring. So is Oblivion's. Even Soul Calibur is kind of weak. They focus too much on composition and sound quality and not enough on "is this actually interesting to hear?". Fable's soundtrack sucks the most. DANNY ELFMAN CAN'T WRITE VGM! Stick to movies!

elfman only did the main theme to fable didnt he? and Soul Caliber 1+2 have great soundtracks. they dont focus too much on composition at all. thats the kind of stuff you'd love to hear an orchestra play. cool sounding stuff. viva la thread!

I lolled for real

3-D RPGs try to be all Hans Zimmer-like and they suck because its just bland orchestra shit.

Halo's soundtrack is boring. So is Oblivion's. Even Soul Calibur is kind of weak. They focus too much on composition and sound quality and not enough on "is this actually interesting to hear?". Fable's soundtrack sucks the most.

Halo's has some good tracks. So does Fable. But depends on your taste in music.

But as for the bland orchestra music, I'd have to agree. I listened to Morrowinds (Oblivion's predecessor) and it was just that. I didn't want to listen to any more of the tracks afterwards. May appeal to some, but not me either.

Sudeki's music was pretty interesting (for it's time and still is surprisingly), only problem is so few tracks, thus sending me on my search for more interesting rpg music with my expectations bar set kind of high. :/

Halo's has some good tracks. So does Fable. But depends on your taste in music.

But as for the bland orchestra music, I'd have to agree. I listened to Morrowinds (Oblivion's predecessor) and it was just that. I didn't want to listen to any more of the tracks afterwards. May appeal to some, but not me either.

Sudeki's music was pretty interesting (for it's time and still is surprisingly), only problem is so few tracks, thus sending me on my search for more interesting rpg music with my expectations bar set kind of high. :/

Well if you're looking for greatRPG music you'd be stupid to not want to hear 2D RPG music since that's some of the best ever. Why limit yourself to just RPGs? Rygar for PS2 has an awesome soundtrack played by the Moscow International Symphony and Shadow of the Colossus has one of the best soundtracks in any game ever.