JAMSpace at MAGFest 6 (Organizational Thread)

Escariot

There has been a lot of talk in the main MAGFest thread about what is going on with JAMSpace, so I created this thread so all of this information will be centralized and more organized. So post what you will be bringing and what you can play and whatnot, so we can decide if we want to go an OCR group ad-lib concert thing or whatnot.

Planning on being there:

Escariot

Pezman

Dyne

Kroze

Dom and Drew (Organizers of JAMSpace, be sure to drop them a couple $20's as you walk past them)

AnSo

DjSammyG

zircon

RealFolkBlues

Prophet of Mephisto

Blake Fucking Perdue

Ralphis

Jimmy Hinson

dPaladin (Probable)

bustatunez

Performance Equipment:

AKG D890 Mic + Windscreen, Small Peavy 4-channel mixer XLR, Another 2 Stereo channels, PA System, cables (Dom)

DigiTech RP100 Effects Processor, built-in Tuner, etc. 40-presets, 40 customizable. (Escariot)

Big Black Sexiness (bustatunez)

Instruments:

Trumpet, F-F Pitchpipe (Escariot)

MIDI Keyboard, Drumsticks (Pezman)

Acoustic Guitar, Tuner, Electric Guitar and Amp, Six-hole Ocarina, "C" Tin whistle (Dyne)

Yamaha Mo8, Casio Keyboard (Dom)

Yamaha P140 Keyboard, Classical Guitar, Djembe, Couple Irish Whistles, Irish Ocarina (Drew)

F, A, G, C Harmonicas, Bongos, Pennywhistle, Ghetto Talkbox (DjSammyG)

Rebick Guitars Fuzz Pro Pedal, Power Supplies, Wah (Rebick guitars Josh-oo-wah), Tubescreamer (modded TS9), Seymore Duncan Tweak Fuzz Pedal, Kendrick 2210 Combo Amp, Carvin Bolt Electric Guitar, Carvin C350 Acoustic Guitar, High D and Low D Pennywhistles (GeoffreyTaucer)

Djembe, Tiny little ocarina (RealFolkBlues)

Alto Sexyphone, D Whistle, Recorder, Melodica (Prophet of Mephisto)

Trumpet (Blake Fucking Perdue)

Trombone (Ralphis)

Rusty Trusty Acoustic Guitar (Jimmy)

Clarinet (dPaladin)

"C" Flute, Laptop with Ext. Interface UA-4FX, Dynamic Mic (bustatunez)

Voices:

Escariot: Bass II, Bass I, Tenor II, Bass/Bari for Barbershop

Pezman

Kroze: Alto?

Drew: Tenor II, Tenor I, Bari/Lead for Barbershop

DjSammyG: Ladykiller Tenor

GeoffreyTaucer

RealFolkBlues: Tenor

Prophet: Bass II - Tenor, Anything for Barbershop

dPaladin: Bass

Computers:

Windows XP - Desktop (Escariot)

Laptop (Pezman)

Linux Laptop and Linux Desktop (Dom)

Post, because I cbf to dig through the MAGFest thread to get the information

Side note: "Geoffrey fuckin' Taucer is sitting my front seat!"

Side note 2: Contact bustatunez if you're interested in "Unplugged!"

Dom here, jamspace organizer

I'll be bringing my Yamaha Mo8 (full size 88 + weighted keys), another casio keyboard I'll hook up via MIDI or something, AKG D890 mic (decent shure knockoff) + windscreen, linux laptop for playing stuff/internet, linux desktop for recording with jack+ardour/audacity, tons of random cables, stands, small peavy mixer with 4 channels XLR, another 2 stereo channels.

Possibly bringing either the cheapest squire bass ever or the cheapest squire guitar ever.

Also confirmed that we've got a PA for this thing, which is good. So far, no drums.

Other hyper-wishlist completely unnecesary things that would be cool to have:

- Projector or decent-size monitor so we can put screenshots of games we're playing music to on a screen. (I may procure this yet...)

Quick reminders: If you're bringing things, please keep your name/contact info on it if at all possible (labels/etc). You _don't_ have to leave your stuff with us to use it at jamspace (e.g. don't have to leave your sax/etc with us or let other people play it, you can just bring it in, play, and leave).

If you'd like to lend some of your equipment (e.g. drums/etc) to the room for anyone to use, that is fine too. Magfest can't be held responsible for the stuff, but we (read: myself, personally + hired security + other staff) will be keeping our eyes on all of the gear in a most hawklike fashion.

There's a ton of interest for performing at jamspace both inside ocremix and from lots of other people attending magfest. While the room will most of the time be in open-mic, first-come-first-serve mode, we'll definitely be having at least one mini-concert at a designated time which will be on the magfest program. Sign-ups for performing in that concert will be open to anyone who wants to play.

Details are still flexible at this point, so if you've got a suggestion or a question, just reply here or AIM me directly: LinuxThis42.

-Dom

Drew here, the other JamSpace organizer.

First off, a thanks to Escariot for creating a separate thread dedicated to JamSpace!

To add to Dom's list of equipment, I will be bringing my Yamaha P140 Keyboard (weighted, full-size), a Classical Guitar, a Djembe, a few Irish Whistles, and an Irish Ocarina. Oh, and my voice: Tenor I, II, Baritone, or Lead Barbershop.

Possibilities of other instruments supplied by me: Peavy Electric Guitar with Amp, bongos, and an ukulele -- these however, are subject to how much space I have during travel -- I am coming from Iowa.

For those of you who say you are only singers - nothing wrong with that, bring your voice!

As Dom said, please feel free to offer up suggestions here. You can also AIM me: AmericanPianist

Count me in.

I will definitely bring:

-An acoustic guitar (carvin C350)

-A high D pennywhistle (humphrey Journeyman)

-A low D pennywhistle (Burke Composite)

I might also bring:

-An electric guitar (Carvin Bolt)

-An amp (Kendrick 2210 -- it's a '59 Bassman clone)

-A wah-wah (Rebick Guitars Josh-oo-wah)

-A Fuzz (Seymore Duncan Tweak Fuzz)

-A tubescreamer (Analog Man Silver-modded TS9DX)

alto saxophone (selmer series three). bass guitar (maybe, depending on space...its a piece of crap). d whistle (feadog). recorder (as in, multi-key instrument...also a piece of crap). melodica, probably still missing the air hose. male voice - bass 2 to pretty much whatever - for barbershop or whatever else you need.

i can run an FL rig if needed, but i can't bring my computer.

edit - someone alert OA. he's bringing a guitar, but i don't know what else.

So I'm curious what game music you all would be interested in creating? Particularly those of you who are coming to JamSpace but who aren't bringing instruments, or don't play any.

I'm not making any promises here, but every musician I know is always looking to add to their repertoire, and I'd love to choose pieces from the vast gaming genre that our listeners want to hear, and other musicians want to jam out to.

I've already blocked out what I'll be performing for the JamSpace concert, but I'll keep adding to the list of game music I can play during the rest of the convention until it's over. What pieces/songs do you all want to jam out to?

So Paul, one of the top guys in the MAGFest hierarchy, was telling me the other day how disappointed he was that the Final Fantasy VI battle music had never been recorded/performed "properly (in his opinion), live," by anyone (in his experience). He states that "it is really a ska [piece], and that a band or someone should record it as such."

So I got to thinking: The theme for the logo of MAGFestVI is Final Fantasy VI - what good timing. Looking at the instrument list from you guys alone (since members like Escariot had the focus to make a list, and it's the only list of attendee equipment so far), this is increasingly becoming something that would be very doable AT JamSpace.

Does this sound like something any of you would be into? I'll be the first to admit I don't know that much about Ska, but I'm working on getting some feedback on this concept. If there is enough interest, we'll organize it as an actual "ongoing" session at JamSpace.

so i have a jazzy/big-bandish arrangement of a castlevania tune if you guys are interested in playing it :D

it has up to:

4 trumpet parts (minimum 1)

2 alto saxes (minimum 1)

2 tenor saxes (minimum 1)

4 trombone parts (minimum 1)

guitar or keys

bass instrument (bass, bari sax, bass trombone or any combination of these)

and percussion <--this is always flexible in my book though :P

So Paul, one of the top guys in the MAGFest hierarchy, was telling me the other day how disappointed he was that the Final Fantasy VI battle music had never been recorded/performed "properly (in his opinion), live," by anyone (in his experience). He states that "it is really a ska [piece], and that a band or someone should record it as such."

So I got to thinking: The theme for the logo of MAGFestVI is Final Fantasy VI - what good timing. Looking at the instrument list from you guys alone (since members like Escariot had the focus to make a list, and it's the only list of attendee equipment so far), this is increasingly becoming something that would be very doable AT JamSpace.

Does this sound like something any of you would be into? I'll be the first to admit I don't know that much about Ska, but I'm working on getting some feedback on this concept. If there is enough interest, we'll organize it as an actual "ongoing" session at JamSpace.

I was actually in a ska band for a couple years down in Florida as one of two lead singers, sadly I don't have much experience besides writing lyrics to songs and general tune BUT if I can get one of our guitar players who I am still friends with to come, he can help out with it me thinks....

He did most of the songwriting along with another guy who we are not on speaking terms with any longer.