OCR02375 - Super Castlevania IV "Deforestation"

djpretzel

A great arrangement of a sadly under-remixed source. (Like DJP, SCV4 is easily one of my top 10 VG soundtracks of all time). I do agree that the melody could stand to be a bit more prominent in the mix, but other than that this is an amazing track from a first-time ReMixer. Definitely going right on my iPod.

FINALLY. I'd mention that I myself tried to rectify the gap in SCIV subs with my very first submission, but the J's are supposed to forget about that piece of shit... Anyway, this one's awesome. Would've liked to have seen the melody given some more love, but it feels suitable to build the piece and then give the melody more attention at the end. I'm jealous of the orchestral sample power, for sure

I like the dark atmosphere of this mix. The strings are very cool, and the percussion does well to bring out the epicness of the strings, and I like how the percussion doesn't overwhelm the strings. The vocal bits were pretty cool as well. I think the mix doesn't seem to develop, kinda staying the same throughout, and the screams at the end were kinda odd. Other than that, a very cool mix, and congrats to Thunder Thouin on an OCR debut!

Very nice to see a mix of a less popular Castlvevania song, I always liked the original, though when I heard the bassline was being taken out I couldn't help but wonder if it was going to feel like the same song. Well, the feeling is still there, just in a different, very well done orchestral style, and I dig it!

• 3 weeks later...

This is definitely a good mix and the talent of Thunder Thouin is definitely evident. I recognized it because I always use when the strings start on that stage to gauge how well I am doing in the game. If I am not out of the little cave and back out into the trees by the time the strings start, I am going too slow. However with all of the videogames in this most recent generations that have been trying their hardest to sound as much like movies as possible, I have lost my taste for many symphonic works. Also, who is the female voice that pops up from time to time? Was that the remixer or was it stolen from something Lisa Gerrard did? Nobody else is credited on the remix and the remixer is referred to as a "he" so I have to assume the latter. I feel it would have been better without it because it seems to go past an homage into blatantly copying the style.

Castlevania IV does have an amazing soundtrack, though. It and ActRaiser make some of the best use of that SNES fake-orchestra sound in any game on the system.

Edited by Joe Redifer

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That brass in the beginning....damn, dude! Such a terrific lead-in with some suspense and lurking terror, but on a grand scale. Makes the first part deliciously dark with some light undertones. Then to flip the script and basically go to a more adventurous orchestration before touching back on the darker feel was a brilliant move. I really like the back and forth from dark to light in this one. The vocals were a nice touch, but the screams didn't do anything for me because of the abruptness of them. Pretty good all around though.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02375 - Super Castlevania IV "Deforestation"