Deadpigeon

Fl studio

3 posts in this topic

Heya ill start off by saying ive never really produced my own music before and im not entirly sure what to do or technical terms and all, But im extreamly interested to learn and wanted to ask about fl studio as im considering saving up to buy the producer edition. 

is fl studio a good all rounder for recording and mixing as well as making electonic music? Definatly wanna experiment heaps and try my hand at trap, phytrance etc,  but i would still love to port the drumkit and guitars into the program and do some of my old hardcore tunes from my band days.

Would it be worth the money? Appologies i just dont know alot about these kinds of programs but cheers for any help!

29 minutes ago, Deadpigeon said:

is fl studio a good all rounder for recording and mixing as well as making electonic music?

No. Small disclaimer, it's been several years since I've touched it:

It's fantastic for electronic music given its pattern-based system (which is unique to it), its piano roll, and it has some pretty great built-in effects for that kind of music, but I would not say it's a good all-rounder.

Why? For starters, you're looking to record as well. I can confirm that recording audio in it is a real pain. You have to choose where you're saving each of your takes, select exactly what track on the mixer will be recording (god help you if you start recording with the wrong one selected), you have to choose a particular option each time you record any take, you can't properly overdub takes. It's a freakin' mess, dude.

Next, you cannot change time signatures. A simple, standard feature in every DAW. I hope all your songs from band days are in 4/4 all the way through.

If you're looking for a good, affordable all-rounder, look no further than Reaper by Cockos. Suitable for all kinds of music, super-easy to record with and use in general, it handles MIDI very well, has tons of great community made mods and enhancements, is regularly updated, and its "trial version" is fully functional and the trial never ends. However, if you want to get rid of the nag screen and just do the right thing, it costs like 60 bucks to buy a personal/small business license if you make less than six figures on your music. Cheaper than literally everyone else.

No bullshit, you can not go wrong with Reaper.

Yeah thanks heaps! I honestly really want to make electronic music but i want the freedom to be able to experiment and mix my instrumentals and electo together, And not having to use 3 different types of programs would be a plus too. Thanks heaps ill check reaper out