ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on PATREON!!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Dustin Lagaly, Album Coordinator, The Eevee EP Director
Akuma (+1100)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozovian View Post
Consider a DAW-only compo, where only the DAW's build-in instruments and effects can be used. Some ppl think you can't make ocr-level stuff without buying expensive libraries, despite that there are mixes made entirely in GarageBand posted here.
All of my stuff is made entirely using free samples and plugins.

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:47 AM
Nathan Becker
Link (+1900)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindWanderer View Post
Sounds like an FL Gauntlet concept is a winner for the overall compo format. We still need an idea for content, though. If it's going to be a mashup thing, I think the idea of a judge-chosen "location" (or "event") is a good one. For the other source, either each participant could choose a character, to do it just like the WCGRC, or we could do something new. For more flexibility, each participant could choose a whole game. I'm personally not crazy about having to incorporate 3 or more sources--doing two is hard enough, and trying to use even more doesn't often go well.
PRC's model seems appropriate. The winner of the previous week's compo picks the source(s) for the next weeks compo. Very flexible.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Jason
Tanooki Mario (+1500)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Jason Covenant Send a message via Skype™ to Jason Covenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindWanderer View Post
Sounds like an FL Gauntlet concept is a winner for the overall compo format. We still need an idea for content, though. If it's going to be a mashup thing, I think the idea of a judge-chosen "location" (or "event") is a good one. For the other source, either each participant could choose a character, to do it just like the WCGRC, or we could do something new. For more flexibility, each participant could choose a whole game. I'm personally not crazy about having to incorporate 3 or more sources--doing two is hard enough, and trying to use even more doesn't often go well.
I've been wracking my brain on how to best choose source material and I think the best approach is to keep the theme simple. The compo will be about FL Studio and teamwork, rather than any particular game or mashup concept. I think those should be saved for other compos. Each week will have different sources, and most if not all will have multiple sources to choose from to give the remixers flexibility and choice. And if you don't like one week's choices, a team mate can go instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectogemia View Post
PRC's model seems appropriate. The winner of the previous week's compo picks the source(s) for the next weeks compo. Very flexible.
PRC's model is great for weekly compos, but I don't think it'd work well for a Gauntlet, since winning teams could exploit it to give their side a head start on the following week's source.

Oh, and signups start now! http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42262
Old 12-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Matthew Dumanski
Goomba (+100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbu Frahma View Post
Always thought an FF character theme mashup in the style of the Mega Man compos would be cool. You'd only be able to do it once or twice until you started running out of unused character themes though (unless you limited it to eight/side/competition).

I'd also considered suggesting (in the past) an "Environment Battle" style mashup compo, where instead of competing based on characters, you compete based on the music of the environments. For example, if you had one based on FF9, you could have matchups like Treno vs. Fossil Roo, Lindblum vs. Alexandria, Evil Forest vs. Black Mage Village. And this style would work for lots of games; most Mario titles, Final Fantasies, Zeldas, you name it, a lot of (particularly older) games have a lot of amazing environment music.
A Final Fantasy character theme compo would be interesting, however I think their are a lot of characters that don't have themes for one reason or another and may have to deliberate on what constitutes as a character theme. The NES/Famicom FF's don't really have character themes and may become left out as well as the MMO one's.

The Environment Battle sounds really great as it could potentially create interesting results though I think some people might become somewhat overwhelmed by which environment to choose from as there are tons more environment themes in one game than character themes. If there is going be an environment based remix battle, have it centered through one franchise would be best route to take like the Sonic one earlier this year. RPG's would probably benefit the most in this style, especially Pokemon.

Man, a Pokemon remix battle... I don't know what it would be about but it sounds awesome in my head... Perhaps just gym leader vs gym leader or town vs town (shrugs)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 PM
David
Dr. Wily (+1300)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconProcurement View Post
A Final Fantasy character theme compo would be interesting, however I think their are a lot of characters that don't have themes for one reason or another and may have to deliberate on what constitutes as a character theme. The NES/Famicom FF's don't really have character themes and may become left out as well as the MMO one's.
Undoubtedly; as I said, there's really only enough character themes to allow for maybe two compos of that, for that very reason. Although I suppose you could open it up to tracks that remixers can make convincing arguments are associated strongly enough with the characters being used as their theme (similar to how Mirby's allowing tracks strongly associated with the Cid of each game in the Cid project, even if there's not necessarily an explicit theme for every Cid).

I like the idea of a Pokemon challenge too (heck, anything main series Pokemon music-wise is pretty okay with me), and had thought of suggesting it... but the only thing I could come up with that might work for it would be for each remixer to choose a gym leader for a "Gym Leader Tourney" and then to use the music for their town as their theme. (I.E. Whoever chose Misty would be using one of the four variations of Cerulean City's music, and if they went up against "Brock" would remix with one of the four versions of Pewter City's music, similar to the Grand Master compo.)

EDIT: Had a stray thought for another compo format, one that would deviate from the "A v B" format. You could have a compo run in "Episodes," (similar to the way MindWanderer is running RWTS) and at the beginning of each episode the participating remixers would be given three sources, and asked to choose two of them to remix into one cohesive, fully working track. You'd still get plenty of variety - one round with sources A, B, and C might end up with submissions of CA, CA, AB, AC, BA, BC, and CB, for instance - and if you wanted to get really challenging, you might give the the participants a style, mood, or sound restriction that's different each episode. For instance, you could give the participants a fanfare source, a quirky happy source, and an ambient source, and ask that the finalized remix be done to achieve the mood of "gloomy," or contain at least two sections with a flute. Of course, you could just provide the sources and let the participants do with them as they pleased, and see what comes of it. But it'd be an interesting way to see how sources from various OSTs could work together, or not - you could provide a source from Halo 3, a source from Super Mario Brothers 2, and a source from Final Fantasy Tactics, and see what people can make out of them.

Last edited by Melbu Frahma; 12-10-2012 at 06:46 PM.