Old 08-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Goomba (+100)

Great to finally see a Pilotwings mix appear on the site (basically any Soyo Oka remixing goes down well here in dave-central ;>) I like the direction you went with this - stylistlcally it's verrrrry similar to "THE CUBE" by DJ SUWAMI, an equally awesome tune - in fact the similarities are so rife that I'd be surprised if you hadn't heard this track before.

I guess the only case I'd have against your arrangement is the sparsity of the original material; you've almost made an entirely new track, since you're essentially taking those chord voicings and building around them. I'm guilty of doing exactly the same thing with F-Zero's rankings/select time music too though. gulp

my favourite thing on OCR for probably a few years, nonetheless

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Vinnie Prabhu, Judge
Dracula (+2750)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Palpable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harris View Post
stylistlcally it's verrrrry similar to "THE CUBE" by DJ SUWAMI, an equally awesome tune - in fact the similarities are so rife that I'd be surprised if you hadn't heard this track before.
Great ears - I was indeed inspired by the style of that very track, which has been one of my favorite Bemani tracks for years. Probably should have mentioned that in my submission e-mail if you think it's that similar, but I suspect if someone is mixing D&B and jazz, they'll probably end up using a lot of the same instruments.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Red Mage (+400)

Really diggin' this one. I don't generally download mixes from games I've never played before (I remember being mildly curious about Pilotwings back in the day, but never did try it), but this mix is continued proof of the fact that I should probably just download everything, I clearly don't know what I'm missing.

Normally I like to comment on how a mix compares to the original, this time I'm just going to have to say I really enjoy this track. Very upbeat, a little more jazzy than I might have expected from a "flying theme" but it certainly goes down smoothly. The variations with the piano and synth are really awesome, this won't be leaving my regular playlist for a while.

Time to check out the rest of the Pilotwings soundttrack...

Old 08-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Octorok (+200)

Send a message via AIM to Nobbynob Littlun
Kind of repetitive, but that is to be expected from the source tune... love the "instrumentation" though. Lots of nice little touches. I'd love to hear this kind of attention to detail in a more complex melody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealPath
I should probably just download everything
Abso-spankin'-lutely.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Martin K.
Simon Belmont (+2500)

Send a message via AIM to Martin Penwald
Wonderful arrangement and perfect choice of instruments. Very reminiscent of racing game-music from the late 90's, particulary Ridge Racer Type 4 and X-treme G 2; I guess it's the piano and choice of synths.

Awesome track, and if you haven't checked out the OSTs from the games I mentioned above, you should do so ASAP.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Andrew Luers, Judge, Unsung Heroes Director
Big Boss (+6000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

I absolutely love this mix. Great percussion, nice synth tone, all around class. Arrangement is packed with details, and you'd have a hard time guessing that this was only a 12 second source. ;D

Highly recommended, this is my jam for today!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:38 AM
Brook Wells
Eggplant Wizard (+300)

Wonderful arrangement, the sounds and choice of instruments is great.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:24 AM
Wes M., Double the Trouble! Director
Luigi (+2000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

This whole song feels flighty - your lead synths bounce around like they're floating along in the breeze It's really quaint. The orchestra hit is kind of cheesy and out of place but all the other instruments really jive together and create a great song to lounge around to on a carefree day.

At first I was really off-put by this song, but looking back I can't remember why, it's actually very enjoyable Also, kudos on finding such a laid-back use for a D&B drumloop, that's good work!

· OCR Staff · Judge· Double the Trouble Director · ARMed and DANGerous Co-Assistant Director · Zelda: Ocarina of Time Project Co-Director
Old 04-19-2013, 04:34 PM

The beginning of this track totally had me thinking Keiichi Ueno of Bemani fame. Great use of instrumentals with a groovy D&B background to fill things out well. 5 star on my playlist!

Tags
jazz, synth, electronic