Album Project: The Darkness and the Light (Tentative) - ReMixers ahoy!

Bahamut

Greetings! Before you mention it, yes, I am running a lot of projects. But...this one is unique, and one I hope to be very communal to alleviate stress on my end.

So this project aims to fill what could be said to be the soundtrack to an imaginary RPG...but with all good songs. You will notice that some of the source tunes for the project are empty - that's because I haven't decided what would be a good fit. That's where you come in - if you want it, have a good idea what would fit given the tracks already selected & the themes they represent, nominate it and I will evaluate it. You may choose a different track if you're not satisfied necessarily with the chosen sources, or you may even do a medley. You may even suggest a track that fills the role of a theme not listed if it's a good one. One can think of the chosen tracks listed as suggested tracks. The only thing I ask is that you choose tracks from games that have not been chosen, and have no or almost no remixes of them - I would like to keep it one per game.

In addition, I expect people to craft tracks that more or less fit the theme - concept is key! To this end, collaboration will be very important, as there are some tracks that command a need of orchestration, as well as a rock band for example. A jazz ensemble of sorts would also be excellent for some tracks. Get creative!

This project will have very loose deadlines - i.e. personal. I only want people who are really excited to do their source, and demonstrate a high bar of excellence. You should want to be on this to do an awesome job at the source, NOT for being able to say you're on the project. If I don't sense that being the overwhelming drive, don't even bother asking me.

And one other note: Lost Odyssey - Neverending Journey/Main Theme is the main theme for this project, so incorporating it into a song can be fair game! (talk it over with a co-director first though)

I am looking for a co-director or multiple people to help manage this as well. Another Soundscape has helped me craft this project, and may join up as a co-director if time permits. Nekofrog agreed to join on board as a co-director.

Co-Directors: Another Soundscape, Bahamut, Nekofrog

Tracklist

Theme: Title

Source:

Theme: Opening Theme

Source: Lost Odyssey - Neverending Journey/Main Theme (claimed by The Prophet of Mephisto)

Theme: A hero fighting against a dark boss

Source: Tales of Destiny - Leon - Irony of Fate -

Theme: Dark boss beating the shit out of everyone early in the game

Source: Breath of Fire 2 - I'll Do It -

Theme: Sad aftermath of the boss killing people

Source: Breath of Fire - Alan and Cerl -

Theme: Start of a Journey

Source: Grandia - The Edge of the World (claimed by Fishy)

Theme: Town #1

Source: Magna Carta 2 - The Sights of Abazet (claimed by Another Soundscape)

Theme: World Map #1

Source: Lunar 2: Eternal Blue - Adventure Road (claimed by Jovette Rivera)

Theme: Noob dungeon

Source: Chrono Cross - Drowning Valley (claimed by GeoffreyTaucer)

Theme: Casual Battle

Source: Live-A-Live - Megalomania (claimed by Tensei)

Theme: Character Theme #1

Source: Mischief Makers - Hurry! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b5_cYvVTaE

Theme: Caves

Source: Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island - Underworld -

Theme: Cave Boss Theme

Source: Mega Man X5 - Boss -

Theme: Sad Theme

Source: Final Fantasy 9 - Passing Sorrow -

Theme: "Playful" dungeon

Source: Final Fantasy 10 - To the End of the Abyss - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7qu0HIKTJc

Theme: Town #2

Source: Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga - Muladhara (claimed by Another Soundscape)

Theme: Hot dungeon

Source: Super Mario RPG - Barrel Volcano (claimed by Level 99 and Cyril the Wolf)

Theme: Boss #1

Source: Baten Kaitos - Violent Storm -

Theme: Town #3 - Cold town

Source:

Theme: Cold dungeon

Source: Mega Man X6 - Blizzard Wolfgang (claimed by TheKrow)

Theme: Town #4 - Castle Town

Source:

Theme: Town #4 - Industrial

Source:

Theme: Town #4 - The ghetto

Source:

Theme: War march

Source:

Theme: Sneaking through the dungeon

Source: Final Fantasy 8 - Under Her Control - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu5pSfBLrMs

Theme: Dungeon you're anxious to be finished with for what's next

Source: Skies of Arcadia - Military Facility Dungeon (claimed by LukethexJesse, Nutritious - collab)

Theme: Villian Theme #1

Source: Maverick Hunter X - Opening Stage (Vile) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvgIVRxX2Vk

Theme: Sad Theme #1

Source: Dragon Quest 8 - These Feelings... - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP-ee1y2HXc

Theme: Sad Theme #2

Source: Final Fantasy 5 - Unknown Lands - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taLLfWzZ8SE

Theme: Character Theme #2

Source: Tales of Eternia - Farah's Theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9W9yK6S-ks

Theme: World Map #2

Source: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Ocean/The Great Sea (claimed by ProtoDome)

Theme: Hopeful progress through a dungeon

Source: Little Nemo: The Dream Master - Stage 1 (Mushroom Forest) (claimed by Level 99)

Theme: Panic!

Source:

Theme: Villain Theme #2

Source:

Theme: Boss #2

Source: Chrono Trigger - Boss Battle 1 (claimed by Kidd Cabbage)

Theme: Seafaring! Ship ahoy!

Source:

Theme: Memories

Source: Final Fantasy Tactics - Memories (claimed by Escariot and Level 99)

Theme: Character Theme #3

Source: Tales of Vesperia - Chance for a Big Reversal (assuming either of the other two listed below from ToV aren't taken) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inSEpnvr9j4

Theme: Character Theme #4

Source: Kirby's Dreamland 3 - Ocean Stage -

Theme: Character Theme #5

Source:

Theme:

Source: Battle Clash - Valius's Theme (claimed by Mazedude)

Theme:

Source: Kingdom Hearts 2 - Riku's Theme (claimed by HitoriJaNai)

Theme: Desolate place

Source: Secret of Evermore - Dark Castle -

Theme: Disaster strikes!

Source:

Theme: Airship

Source:

Theme: Searching for Friends

Source: Final Fantasy 6 - Searching for Friends (claimed by bLiNd)

Theme: Sad Theme/Reminiscing

Source: Xenosaga - Shion ~Past Memory~/Kokoro (claimed by Audio Fidelity)

Theme: Boss #3

Source: Tales of Vesperia - Cutting off the Dark Ambitions/A Formidable Foe Stands in the Way (pick one?) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2fhyVuES8g /

Theme:

Source: BlazBlue - Awakening the Chaos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd0cJG8qzMA

Theme: Final Dungeon

Source:

Theme: Some song that builds up towards the final battle

Source:

Theme: Final Battle, Pt. 1

Source: ???/Lost Odyssey - Neverending Journey/Main Theme - _____ / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFOsFLjBP94 / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNa1W9cj8NA

Theme: Final Battle, Pt. 2

Source: Granstream Saga - Boss Battle -

Theme: Final Battle, Pt. 3

Source: Secret of Mana - Meridian Dance (claimed by bLiNd, Fishy)

Theme: sadness & happiness over the end of the reign of terror

Source: Terranigma - Farewell -

Ending:

Source:

I'd also like to note that project forums aren't up yet, and I'll get those up in the next few days. I expect people to discuss the project extensively together when it does happen - hiatus's every now and then are ok, but be sure to keep discussing. Also, instead of normally sending a WIP to someone like me, I want it mandatory for WIPs to be posted on the project forums for everyone's critique.

This is a very ambitious project - I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of it!

Edit: The project forums are here: http://kngi.org/forum/index.php - let me know when you register and the name you used so you can be added to the project member group!

Can I claim for bLiNd Searching for Friends & Meridian Dance? :D

Sure - one thing about Meridian Dance though. I'm looking for something epic in scope, one worthy of a final battle. It may require a collab with how much I'm looking from it - I'm interested in seeing electronic, rock/metal, orchestration, and simply, the works for the track. It may be the longest track on the album - I'd even be ok with seeing it made into a medley. I want to see an epic track of almost unknown proportions!

Also, I've sort of relented on my earlier comment Gario - I'd be perfectly thrilled if there was a team of people for game development for a free game to this album. Probably would have to be an RPG, but I feel like if there's the interest, it could be amazing for everyone involved.

Sure - one thing about Meridian Dance though. I'm looking for something epic in scope, one worthy of a final battle. It may require a collab with how much I'm looking from it - I'm interested in seeing electronic, rock/metal, orchestration, and simply, the works for the track. It may be the longest track on the album - I'd even be ok with seeing it made into a medley. I want to see an epic track of almost unknown proportions!

bLiNd is going to log back onto Gmail talk. I woke him up 'cos of this. lol

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no I already have that name for an album I've had in the works for four years - a Zelda album.

I will cut your face!!

cool concept though even if it's similiar to mine yet different enough

hahaha you don't really have to change it for me thought that's cool. Not sure if ours will see the light of day. Will depend on CHRONOTORIOUS sales. So purchase accordingly (buy if you want us to succeed, don't buy if you wish for us to burn in the eternal fire).

Go forth.

You heard the man people, buy some Chronotorius and give OUS some love! More music is only a good thing :-) .

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no I already have that name for an album I've had in the works for four years - a Zelda album.

I will cut your face!!

cool concept though even if it's similiar to mine yet different enough

Sorry to tell you this, but it's been the name of a McVaffe Zelda remix for 3 years now.

Very interesting idea, an album that is not based on a single game, definitely different and exciting. It will be fun to see how this plays out.

This may not be the most original suggestion, but when it comes to Ice Dungeons, Secret of Mana's "A Bell is Tolling" is certainly the first track that comes to mind for me. Now with Meridian Dance already in play, maybe another SoM track is out of the question, I don't know, but I thought it was worth suggesting either way (after re-reading the original post, it seems like this is definitely out of the question, so oh well, moving on...).

Barring that, there is always "Dungeon of Ice" from FF: Mystic Quest (yes, MQ, try to hold back your laughter, please). Not a bad track in my opinion, also an untapped source at the moment, although I know that MQ is held in contempt by a lot of people. It may not have been the best game by a long shot, but the soundtrack was at least passable.

Another possibility would be "Ice Caverns" from FFIX. This is actually a pretty catchy track, though it sounds a little less "icy" than some other themes out there (and let's face it, icy themes are actually pretty common). That doesn't mean someone couldn't do something very cool with it though!

For Final Dungeon, I'm gonna suggest "Final Dungeon" (what an original title) from FFVI purely because it has had no mixes done of it yet that I'm aware of, and I think if properly done this could be pretty awesome. Another one I like is "Platinum Shrine" from Brainlord, now that's going off the map... very catchy track though, if anyone played that game.

Realistically speaking, there are a lot of very cool final dungeon themes out there though, and it won't be easy to decide on just one.

Cool project concept!

Barring that, there is always "Dungeon of Ice" from FF: Mystic Quest (yes, MQ, try to hold back your laughter, please). Not a bad track in my opinion, also an untapped source at the moment, although I know that MQ is held in contempt by a lot of people. It may not have been the best game by a long shot, but the soundtrack was at least passable.

YES, that's an excellent track! Also, don't apologize for MQ, MQ rocked my world when I was eleven or so.

Youtube linky:

Excellent DoD by Brian Davis (thanks Kyle!):

http://dod.redheadedblacksheep.net/past/may07/21tie-BrianDavis-FFMQ-Pyramid-ICE-DoD.mp3

--Eino

Final Battle Part 2: Fighting of the Spirit (Tales of series) ?

Terranigma's Farewell made me tear up a bit when I first played it. Would it be a realistic suggestion to add Blue from the same OST as the Title music for the nice matchup? (Or maybe it would work as Character Theme 3 or 4.) I love the choice for Yoshi's Island's Caves for the underground, too.

The whole project makes me wish I could remix so I could help out, but sadly I cannot. I can record vocals if anyone needs me to, though, so let me know if you do.

Sorry to tell you this, but it's been the name of a McVaffe Zelda remix for 3 years now.
Also, extremely close to the name of the Seiken Densetsu 3 project.

I know, it's fine. This album of mine has just been in the works for over four years. No big. I've already produced two completely different songs with different artists with the same name so things are going to overlap sometimes. No big.

Carry on!