ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on patreon

Sponsors: Bart Verbeek, Cynical Brit, Matt (aka Antidragon), Michael Beauchamp, Wesley "Bahamut" Cho.. + hundreds of supporters! Thanks!!

Old 03-09-2007, 03:56 AM
Larry Oji, Community Manager, Moderator, Judge
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Tim Follin: Dirge for the Follin - Musician Recruitment

Community recruitment threads: VGMix / OneUp Studios / Remix.Kwed.Org & AMIGAremix / The Shizz / OverLooked ReMiX / VGMusic / 2A03

Browsing around the old GamingForce Audio forums last year, I learned that Tim Follin decided to stop composing music for video games, citing the inability to make a steady income from VGM compositions. Those of you familiar with Follin's work in video game music know the man is an exemplary artist.

Even before I specifically knew who he was, music of Follin's from Spider-Man & The X-Men for the SNES caught my attention, followed by other games like Silver Surfer, Solstice, Treasure Master, and Plok! Stepping up beyond the sound limitations of older game systems and working with real-sounding instrumentation, his work and his creativity continues to be impressive.

Song of the Week staffers and friends Kaleb Grace and 'Ili "CHz" Butterfield were talking about Follin's decision when Kaleb came up with the idea of doing a tribute remix project of Follin's work. Damn good idea, as there are a lot of people who are fans of his work. If you're a fan of Follin's music, join up and let's make a tribute.

We're gonna make this pretty simple. This is a community-wide project, very Hands Across America. Any talented artists that are interested are open to join up: OCR, VGMix, OUS, DoD/TheShizz, OLR, R:K:O, AMIGAremix, VGMusic, 2A03, hell even some doujins, everybody. No one is disallowed from participating due to any history you have with anyone else; all are welcome with me. If you have some internet drama that prevents you from participating, fuck you in advance!

The only standards involved here are to produce quality music. Provided a bunch of you don't somehow pick the same material, any track originally written/composed by Tim Follin, video game or non-video game, is fair game for you to choose within this project. Aside from mere ports he's done of others' tunes, pick anything. We'll be checking to make sure whatever you pick was written or at least arranged by Follin, so provide specifics here on what you're choosing as soon as you know. Stuff that happens to be written by Tim's younger brother Geoff Follin is fine as well.

The quality control will be fairly strict. If I don't know you, I'll ask to hear samples of your recent work or research you myself. If you're not completely capable of what you're doing and aren't a solid artist in the community yet, I will tell you point blank here that you likely don't qualify, and you likely shouldn't waste your time trying to participate. With that said, collaborations are heavily encouraged. Tracks featuring live instrumentation are also heavily encouraged, as Follin wished he knew how to play real instruments.

There will be no WIP deadlines; whoever's going to come through will come through. We are shooting for at least 80 minutes worth of music and a minimum of 12 tracks, preferably 20 or more arrangements.

We've got a near-full discography of Tim Follin's work here in order to help anyone who may need to look around to find material to arrange. Even if you're unfamiliar with his work, chances are you will find something of his that appeals to you. In the meantime, you are more than welcome to post your interest in the thread here and let people know what you'll be doing. Provided you guys come through, there are other plans for this project that will be put into motion.

On behalf of co-directors CHz & Kaleb Grace, speaking to anyone and everyone from around the world who contributes, thank you in advance for your participation.

--------------------------------------------

Take a look at Tim Follin's near-complete discography: http://wiki.sotw.info/index.php?titl...in_Discography
Play the music in Winamp with these plug-ins:In-progress tracklist:

Last edited by Liontamer; 03-24-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:05 AM
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Well, back when the OCR forums were moved over to vBulletin, the forums were pretty agressively pruned. This one missed the cut by 2 days, so I've remade it.

Had some personal issues that kept me from coordinating this for a little while. Got some emails wondering what happened to the project thread, but everything's cool. Aside from judging, lots of my work at OCR and the community dropped off for that time. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to working on this, as well as some other projects, now that I've gained some more personal time.

With that said, let's continue!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Banned
Joe Musashi (+7000)

he did plok
that is like the best soundtrack ever
Old 03-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Kaleb Grace
Mega Man (+1000)

I'm still around and ready to contribute where needed, provided I don't get super busy with something. Follin deserves a finished, quality project.

That website design might take me some time, but I may have some added motivation to do it since I'm currently trying to look for a job with a graphic design spin on it, and my portfolio is pretty pathetic as is. However, if someone else wanted to jump on it (or work together with me), that would be very welcomed.

KalebGrace.com /// VGMdb Artist Page /// VGMusic of the Day

Last edited by Kaleb.G; 03-18-2007 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Scott Porter
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

I'm still on for Akrilic from Plok! I think.

But it's been a long time, I feel bad :[!
Old 03-18-2007, 03:08 AM
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverCoat View Post
I'm still on for Akrilic from Plok! I think.

But it's been a long time, I feel bad :[!
Try and show me some WIP action soon, just to see what ideas you've got.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Kenneth Keyn, Trenches Composer
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Larry, did you get my e-mail with my Equinox arrangement?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:01 AM
David L. Puga, BadAss I & II Director
Tanooki Mario (+1500)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

I'd like to sign up! For the "Gambit theme" from Spider Man & the X Men on Snes!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadoss View Post
Larry, did you get my e-mail with my Equinox arrangement?
Not at all, Ken. Shoot it my way again though and I'll let you know what I think. Thanks a lot!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Kenneth Keyn, Trenches Composer
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liontamer View Post
Not at all, Ken. Shoot it my way again though and I'll let you know what I think. Thanks a lot!
Maybe the question I should ask is what is your e-mail address? I sent it to your ormgas one, but I'm assuming that was the wrong choice...