Tim Follin: Dirge for the Follin - Musician Recruitment

Liontamer

OKAY! Storm is back on track. Got all creative and evolved the source a bit more, now contains: Freaky DnB, A Speak'n'Spell, tempo automation, pumping psytrance and an orchestral part! :D

I'll link you up shortly

Just aggregating my comments from today in #ocremix, so that you have 'em for reference:

Not quite feeling the un-tss; the beats there sound rather hollow, though I know you said you weren't done with that part, so clealry not a big deal. Good escalation at 2:25 with the added beats

The orchestral section at the end may need some additional humanization, but the writing seemed good. Sounded really cluttered production-wise, though. The string, woodwind and brass seem like they're all in the same frequency range; I'd just see how you can adjust the EQ. Seeing as you just wanted to get the parts down so far, no problem. I always just note an issue like this in case the arranger is treating it like a final mixdown.

Love that effect at 2:46; it's a nice transition sound, pretty subtle.

You can check out the game in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTF8fsa_sT8. Storm's swimming animation is stupid.

I'm also reminding myself here to hook you up with a short mellow source to check out.

Also noting Fishy's info from this afternoon that he's gotten started on his Incredible Crash Dummies mix!

• 4 weeks later...

http://follin.quiteajolt.com/

I'm looking for fresh meat for the most important project in OCR history (Disclaimer: to me), the Tim Follin project, which will be OCR's first composer tribute, involving arrangers across communities. Seeing as how Follin is known moreso for his music than his games, though he has some really well-received games under his belt, I've hosted all of the MP3s of his material available from the Gamingforce Forums project led by niki. Get all the MP3s at the link above, follin.quiteajolt.com, hosted by CHz.

CHz says it's ok to rape his bandwidth (i.e. I'm claiming he said it's ok). If you're an arranger and need suggestions, please let me know. I'd like to get at least 15 arrangements total and am currently at 8 not counting WIPs. Please download everything and give 'em a good listen. Look, a bootleg listing of what's a available, including 2 short films by Follin. Gotta catch 'em all or something to that effect!

Altered_Space_-_GB/ 24-Oct-2007 23:28 -

Atari_ST_collection/ 25-Oct-2007 12:08 -

Bionic_Commando_-_Am..> 25-Oct-2007 10:45 -

Body Counting 248kbp..> 25-Oct-2007 12:23 29M

Bust-A-Move_4 _-_GBC/ 25-Oct-2007 00:31 -

Ecco_the_Dolphin_-_D..> 25-Oct-2007 10:46 -

Equinox_-_SNES/ 25-Oct-2007 02:40 -

Firearm_-_unreleased/ 25-Oct-2007 12:42 -

Ford_Racing_2_-_PS2/ 25-Oct-2007 11:13 -

Future_Tactics_-_PS2/ 25-Oct-2007 11:14 -

Gauntlet_III_-_Amiga/ 25-Oct-2007 11:55 -

Ghouls_'N_Ghosts_-_A..> 25-Oct-2007 11:14 -

LED_Storm_-_Amiga/ 25-Oct-2007 04:18 -

Lemmings_-_PSP/ 25-Oct-2007 11:17 -

Magic_Johnson's_Fast..> 25-Oct-2007 11:18 -

Originals/ 25-Oct-2007 12:55 -

Pictionary_-_NES/ 25-Oct-2007 11:18 -

Plok_-_SNES/ 25-Oct-2007 11:56 -

Puzznic_-_Amiga/ 25-Oct-2007 11:23 -

Rock_N'_Roll_Racing_..> 25-Oct-2007 11:21 -

Silver_Surfer_-_NES/ 25-Oct-2007 11:21 -

Sky_Shark_-_NES/ 25-Oct-2007 11:22 -

Sly_Spy_-_Amiga/ 25-Oct-2007 11:22 -

Spider-Man_and_the_X..> 25-Oct-2007 11:25 -

Starsky_&_Hutch_-_PS2/ 25-Oct-2007 11:25 -

Target_-_Renegade_-_..> 25-Oct-2007 11:26 -

The Sun Circle 248kb..> 25-Oct-2007 12:36 31M

Thomas_the_Tank_Engi..> 25-Oct-2007 11:28 -

Wolverine_-_NES/ 25-Oct-2007 11:28 -

ZX_Spectrum_collection/

Just to clarify, wasn't "Lemmings UMD Theme" actually composed long before Follin did the PSP soundtrack? Mirsoft is giving the composers for the original Lemmings games as Tim Wright, Brian Johnston, Malc Jennings, Tony Williams and Jeroen Tel. That's a favorite theme of mine and I wouldn't want anyone to consider it for the project if it's not applicable. Most of the other Lemmings songs being hosted sound original though.

All this time and still looking for more people, eh? I'm afraid your problem lies in that most of Tim Follin's music falls into a category of "it's already so good, it's damn hard to make a remix that's better than the original." I've already made one Plok remix, and I don't even know if I succeeded in that regard.

Regardless, I'm interested in helping, and will give the tunes a listen. No promises, but I'm always up for remix projects when the material catches my interest. :)

- Mazedude

Just to clarify, wasn't "Lemmings UMD Theme" actually composed long before Follin did the PSP soundtrack? Mirsoft is giving the composers for the original Lemmings games as Tim Wright, Brian Johnston, Malc Jennings, Tony Williams and Jeroen Tel. That's a favorite theme of mine and I wouldn't want anyone to consider it for the project if it's not applicable. Most of the other Lemmings songs being hosted sound original though.

Yeah, anyone looking at tracks, make sure to run 'em by me first just to make sure they were composed by Follin. For Lemmings, track 08-22 are the real gold. Even you if don't choose to participate, you should download those and check them all out; I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. They're all very well-written, IMO.

No way! Tim Follin did Altered Space?! I used to have that game as a little kid, and no one ever had heard of it - but I was always really attracted to the music from it, even back then. No wonder. Unfortunately it was horribly programmed ingame. There was really only one song in this game long enough to be considered as one (track six in this archive you list), but it was a couple minutes long, and would start entirely over again every time you entered a new room. What's more, each room was very small and there was a couple of seconds of silence at the beginning of the song. This meant that unless you stood still for awhile, you could very well never hear the game music at all (I would sometimes start the game up and just wait out my air supply to a game over so I'd be able to listen to it way back then) and it would certainly never be likely that you'd hear the whole thing. Anyway, you're in dire need of some tracks and I've already been considering this for some time. However, I think it'd be a very tough track to remix. If I come up with anything, I'll let you know, but it's probably unlikely. Man, I'm still surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
I did plok

do you still have my remix because that is the final version, since I ditched FL and can no longer work on it.

Yeah, when I switch, I switch. Looking back, probably not that good of an idea for certain ongoing projects, but nothing life-threatening ( ´ ▽ ` )

There's a copy on my dead laptop, but otherwise no.

I will be in contact with all the prospectives soon, as I don't want the overall effort to fall by the wayside! I love all the completed tracks, and lot of WIPs (Abadoss, Nutritious, Another Soundscape, Fishy) have great potential!

• 1 month later...
Um... bump? Any movement on this project?

Absolutely. It's all in the shadows! But yes, this project's going to be going strong and finishing up. I've got plenty of people to nag, including hopefully Mazedude. I'll see if he's come up with anything. But don't worry; we'll have a project, even if it's only 10-12 pieces, which is still very solid! Thanks for tugging on my arm, Martin, it's appreciated!

Absolutely. It's all in the shadows! But yes, this project's going to be going strong and finishing up. I've got plenty of people to nag, including hopefully Mazedude. I'll see if he's come up with anything. But don't worry; we'll have a project, even if it's only 10-12 pieces, which is still very solid! Thanks for tugging on my arm, Martin, it's appreciated!

Heh, I'm always happy to give you a tug, Larry!

...er, wait, that came out wrong...

• 2 weeks later...
I've been slacking off, I know. But I have found a new track to arrange. Bust-A-Move 4 (GBC) - Title / Menu / Round Select. Hell yeah. It's just the coolest track ever made. I'm not even kidding. It's constantly on repeat here.

The one original track from the game, nice. I can definitely see some AnSo-groove working for that one.

• 4 weeks later...