Old 11-17-2002, 07:29 PM
Chris Hughan
Eggplant Wizard (+300)

Send a message via ICQ to Ginnsu Send a message via AIM to Ginnsu Send a message via MSN to Ginnsu Send a message via Yahoo to Ginnsu
OCR00845 - Columns 'Main Theme (Blue Square Mix)'

Columns 'Main Theme (Blue Square Mix)'

Pitch bends galore! Rayza puts out some excellent work here with some awsome samples, and an absolutely lovely lead instrument. The way it bends, it almost sounds like a Treble Trombone, which would probably be a funny instrument to see. Fabulous work Rayza.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:08 AM
Dan Hibiki (+50)

wow! Rayza always blows my mind away! I just love how you didn't screw the actual song up, like sadly many do. Now I am going to go play Columns.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:00 AM
Dr. Wily (+1300)

Send a message via AIM to AnotherOneBitesTheDust
HOLY FREAKING CRAP CATCHY MELODY ALERT

What's with these tetris like games and good music? I have never played Columns but now I definitely want to. It's just a little repetitive, but that's actually what makes it so great, plus it's not repetitive in the way where it just loops some same part you've heard. Kinda like when you hear Frog's theme for a second time in Ailsean's Knights come marching home, there's just more stuff added to it and you want to hear it again.

I love this stuff

EDIT: What the heck. I just listened to the original. This remix is FAR superior to it. Someone should deremix this remix =) Make a chiptune outta it.

Click the pic to get my OverClocked SM/DWI files. (For those of you curious, I do not have a radio station...at all!)
Old 11-18-2002, 07:10 AM
Anthony Marin
Octorok (+200)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via ICQ to neostormx Send a message via AIM to neostormx
yea i first heard this in the WIP forum and was like i dont care how cookie cutter anyone says it is.. its addictive and enjoyable. good for my playlist.
The original itself is catchy, and this trance remix justifies it well. Great job on the technical note also.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:44 PM
Octorok (+200)

Location: I really don't know these days. One thing's for sure, it's not reality.
Send a message via MSN to Infernal Monkey
Holy crap I love this ReMix! I've alway's enjoyed the Cloumns theme, even from back in 8-Bit days. This has done the mighty Columns great justice. I like the little sound bite at 2:50 :D
Keep up the great work!
Old 11-21-2002, 11:53 PM
Bad Dude (+500)

Send a message via AIM to PlatformerMastah
Aw man, I wanted to remix this! Ah well... I don't even have the equipment to anyway... Still, great remix. I've always been a fan of techno, and I think the Columns theme fits well in that category, even though it doesn't sound at all like a techno song in the game. Speaking of the game, Columns an extremely addictive puzzle game... It's probably the only game my parents loved.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:42 AM
Hayden Petrie
Dr. Wily (+1300)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Thanks all for the comments. I don't think I've had this many reviews on any of my songs. :) I thought a lot about how I'd do this mix and how I wanted it to turn out but its always a different end product. I like it, and I'm glad you all do too. Thanks again.

The sound byte was done by using Total Recorder and recording a minute or two of the demo when there was (luckily) no music playing, then just cut it out to a little clip.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:45 AM
Andy Thorley
Sheng Long (+10000)

Its pretty good...

I think the beginning sounds like youre wandering in part way through the remix though, no proper introduction.

Its also a little repetetive for my liking...I think that good as it is, it should have been shorter.

I do, however like the part where in game sound effects are used as precussion, I thought that adds a nice bit of flare to it and wish it was used more...

So all in all its pretty good.
Not mindblowingly amazing, but also not appalingly bad.
Nice work
Old 07-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Dan Hibiki (+50)

Send a message via AIM to DarkWolf
It's pretty good considering the orignal was an orchestral-ish piece. I like the jewel sound effect. It was in the right spot.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Adam Lederer
Tanooki Mario (+1500)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Rellik
Wow...

I haven't heard this song in SO LONG. I was wondering if I would recognize it... in case it's not obvious, YES. I DO. Such an amazing theme...

On to the mix.

This isn't really as "refined" as it could be, but most of that is in the intro. Of course the intro isn't bad, but the snare is a lil muddy, and the bass sounds not so great on its own (same with the hat). When the pitch-bending synth comes in I was still not sure about what was going to be going on with this ReMix. As soon as that synth comes in at :30, I knew what this was going to be all about, though :D. Great use of absence of percussion, and the shuffling beat that comes in is perfect. Like the bass, the pitch-bending synth sounds just mediocre by itself, but it's perfect in the mix.

This could easily be modified into something much more hardcore/trance that you could dance to rather than just bob your head to, but that wouldn't necessarily be a change for the better, just a different version. This easily has more than enough appeal to compete with a Dance piece of the same type but slightly different. Phased gated strings are really nice to listen to and the sound effect actually sounds very professional and fitting. Piano is fine... could have been used in a more funkish aspect, but it doesn't really do much anyway, so the usage is fine.

Ending with the sound effect is a little bit off to me. I think it would have been a great simple delay-out, but this is a style choice that I can live with. Maybe delay on the sample itself would have been a good idea? It just sort of cuts off a little too quick, even though it does go slowly.

:D amazing mix altogether, though; the perfect use of techniques from other genres, but in a genre of its own (which I will define as "Dream Dance" temporarily).