OCR Fit Club (Summer Session)

Steben

This was a great idea.

GOAL:

The only things I want to improve is the way my abs look, my leg strength, and my stamina. Also, I'm sure it would help alot if I can establish some sort of work-out schedule. I tend to go to the gym and just do whatever.

PLAN:

Don't really have an official plan yet, but I do have a few ideas for workouts that I will include in my daily routine. I will try them out and work on making a weekly schedule for my work-outs.

Oh, and Subway...I'll go there more often.

Goal: I was 207 lbs. back in October when I was putting on a Spandex unitard and a cape to be Superman for Halloween. I'm 6'2" and at 231 lbs. right now, so I want to lose the 24 lbs. I've gained by the end of the summer at least; anything else is icing on the cake.

The Plan:

Diet

I'll be following the ab diet that Mens Health seems to be all about and has published a few books on. I was following it at the end of last summer straight through the fall and felt great. I fell off the wagon a bit when I was super busy this past semester, but since I actually enjoyed everything I was eating I'm going to start it up again. I'll also be dropping sweets and chips from my diet almost completely. I can go a long time without buying them, but other people were buying them and had them around me the last few months. That shouldn't be a problem now though.

Exercise

I'll be alternating running and biking 6 days a week to start getting my cardio back to where it was. Once I've improved that a bit, I'll switch the running to interval training (alternating a short sprint with a minute or two of jogging). I'll also be continuing to train in Brazilian Jiu Jutsu two days a week, and I'll be getting to the gym two or three days a week as well and doing workout routines with more compound movements as opposed to isolating specific muscles, as well as changing up those workouts frequently. I saw far better results from those kind of workouts last summer than more traditional weight training. I also plan on adding some of the planches and other exercises that GT linked us to on my biking days.

joining

goal and other stuff to be posted soon

requesting extension of game till the end of august or mid sep

my goal is going to be something that is gonna take a bit so i need the extra time

doing a double goal of losing weight/building muscle mass AND getting free running tricks down

I chose early August since that's when people start gearing up for school. (I have GTA orientation the next Monday, plus band camp that I'll either be participating in or volunteering for.) I'd suggest keeping the same goal, and if you don't make it in three months, you can always keep working at it until you make it... you won't be penalized as far as the game is concerned as long as you keep to your plan and report in on the weekends.

Also, pending the success of the Summer Session, we'll run it again in August. I'll probably do it by "semesters", since as a student that's how my life is organized, so the next one would be from August to the end of the year.

GOAL:

gain 7 lbs of muscle by the end of the year, so like 3 lbs by the end of summer seems reasonable.

PLAN:

diet:

add 200 calories per day to current diet

exercise:

Just keep on what i've been doing; i've added the pushups recently and have noticed a good improvement there. I am still able to keep bring the number up, but I assume it'll top off before the summer's over.

gym 3 times a week

squats

rows

cable press

abs

lower back

wrist curl

incremental pushups daily (60, 45, 62, 47, 64, etc).

i'll have a pic as soon as i find a camera

Well today was the start.

Today I started off with a compound exercise to target multiple muscles in one go. I did Iso-Lateral High Rows for a few sets, pyramiding the resistance higher with each set. After about five or so sets, I stopped at 230 lbs (115 lbs. per arm) because I was getting tired. This simple exercise worked out primarily my latissimus dorsi, and secondary upper trapezius, rear deltoids, and biceps. I told myself I wanted to run five miles a day when I started this thing, but I couldn't manage that today since it's been awhile since I started running (not use to it and used up energy on the resistance training) so I only ended up doing four miles instead. I plan on making that up by walking around the neighborhood until I manage to get to my bank to deposit a check instead of driving there. I'll be going off again to the gym Monday through Friday so I'll be working out different parts of the body everyday, but I'll definitely be running each day. Planche progression exercises later today as well.

Edit: I also second the notion that we keep the original end date.

I forgot to post this in my first, but just so nobody's wondering where MY first post is, I can only do about half of my planned schedule from now until the 22nd, and then all will be done for the rest of the summer. I'm still in practice for my team until then though, so it will keep me in shape.

Oops.. didn't realize this thread was here. I'll have to start tomorrow with everything, but here we go.

GOAL:

I'm 6'0" and ~235 lbs. I managed to get down to 215 (from 250) a couple year ago and I'd like to get down to 210, hopefully more, but I'm not gonna get ahead of myself. This is my main goal at the moment, but I may add another one once I see how I've progressed.

PLAN:

Diet

When I lost ~35 lbs a couple years ago I didn't really "diet" much, all I did was stop eating fast food and start drinking diet soda, which gives me hopes for losing more weight if I can manage to actually diet a bit. I rarely eat fast food now, maybe 3 times a month, which I will cut to zero now. I already rarely drink soda, and when I do it's only diet soda - I mostly drink water or diet tea - I'll also try to cut down my beer consumption.

As for eating on a regular basis, I don't eat bad but I don't eat great. I tend to buy cheap stuff at the grocery store that isn't the best for me, however now I'll go over my choices and try to find something that will fill me up and be much better. This will be the hardest part for me, much harder than the exercising.

Exercise

I recently got another PS2 adapter for my PC, for my DDR pad. I was decent at DDR a couple years ago but haven't played in ages; I've already played a couple times and I'm seriously out of shape at it. I plan to slowly work up and do this 3-4 times a week for 30 mins to an hour.

At my work we have a little weight room, nothing too fancy in there but we have a shoulder press, leg press, row machine, exercise bike, etc. I haven't been in there in about a year, but I did a routine last year where I went 3 times a week (Tues/Wed/Thurs), which will probably stay my routine this time, with the exception of changing Thursday to Friday.

I'll see what I can do about getting a couple pics up, but they won't be pretty :)

Man...some pretty good plans out there. I don't know a lot about working out and dieting, but I have been cooking my own food a lot more, much less eating out and a lot more physical activity, in and out of the house. -=ahem=- Anyway, I've been on a roll today. After my run this morning, I've discovered how much harder I worked. It's been a while since I've been out running last (at least a year) and today I've just felt so energized and happy, it's crazy. If this is how working out really feels, I'm gonna try to run every day just to feel like this, 'cause it makes me feel wonderful. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this through all the way.

My schedule will be changing in about a month, however. School's gonna be out and the custodians will be heading in to work at about 6:30 in the morning. Anyone have any suggestions for the best time to take an evening stroll?

i have a challenge for jeremy.

fall you have to work on your free running as well

im gonna be recording my runs and my progress and i challenge you to do the same

Oh man, I really want to, but I just can't risk getting injured right now. I gotta go real conservative on stuff like that.

Maybe once I've retired (again) from gymnastics competition, I'll take up free running.

After my run this morning, I've discovered how much harder I worked. It's been a while since I've been out running last (at least a year) and today I've just felt so energized and happy, it's crazy. If this is how working out really feels, I'm gonna try to run every day just to feel like this, 'cause it makes me feel wonderful.

This truly warms my heart. I'll be pulling for you this summer!

Today, I worked out the core through steep decline full-range sit-ups and leg lifts with some good isometric holds. Afterwards I wanted to run five miles on the treadmill but all the treadmills were taken so instead I did five miles on an elliptical with increasing incline and resistance every ten minutes. I didn't think it was very hard until I got off where I started to feel the burn as I walked away. Yikes. It was fun though and I burned a lot of calories and raised the heart rate for a full hour in the process too.

Dang.

I went to the Student Activities Center today for the first time in a few weeks... amazing how taking even a month or so break from working out can take its toll when you go back.

I did a lot more weight training than I've done before today as well... 3 reps of my usual routine instead of just two as I'd done during the spring semester. It's a pity the school shuts down after graduation this Saturday, and that I'll be at my parent's home anyway, so I'll be taking about another month off of weight training after Friday. Boo.

So far today:

I did a brief (half an hour or so) upper-body workout. Did muscle-ups, pull-ups, bulgarian dips, planches (straddled), front levers (straddled), planche push-ups (tucked), front lever pull-ups (tucked), hanging toe-touches, and arch-ups. Sprinted back and forth for 60 seconds. Took a break, got lunch (footlong meatball sub from subway w/lettuce and onions), then came back to the gym and spent 45 minutes working flexibility.

I'm getting closer on that left leg split. I may spend some more time working splits later tonight.

Haven't done any ring work yet today; I'll most likely save that for tomorrow.

Guess I'll be the first "overweight" person to post pics:

before1cu8.jpg

before2xn7.jpg

Not sure why the second pic came out blurry o.O

Anyway.. I did a DDR workout today for ~45 mins, worked in some songs above my level to stress myself a bit. I think I'm gonna wait a couple weeks before hitting the gym just to get my body back into the swing of things.