OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

Oh, and to the Americans here: let's hear it for the new president! Huzzah!

As a military member, democrats have never been friendly to the whole idea of keeping our military reinforced. Our ranks tend to get cut back quite large when they are in office.

That being said, I will still obey the orders of the new president without question unless it is unlawful to do so.

Arena commentary video coming soon.

Either I'm having the weirdest form of deja vu ever (actually, I've never had deja vu. I've always wanted to, though), or duckyboy had posted something after Dyne. Look at this sig or something to that affect.

Is there any reason it was deleted (baleeted, deltaco, Homestar, etc)?

Apparently I did not advertise nicely enough. Come play on atmuh's new server. I has admins!~

Also, I still plan on playing on the server. I just haven't been lately. And yeah, I'll still donate. I think for the most part we've all been civil, but to stress a singular point, I think that some rules, while meant not to be broken, or even bent, should be enforced.

Despite the argument of "is it a spawn door?" and "it's not", to be honest, if it's not connected to the direct spawn room, then it's really not a spawn door, HOWEVER......

It is the absolute shortest way to get through, which basically makes it a technical spawn door for all intents and purposes. I say that because 1) you can't see anything (as others have said) until that door opens, and 2) it's a serious choke point if someone camps it.

I've been on the server when people have been camping that door. And to be honest, having to go all the way round by jumping the rail or using the other spawn door basically means giving up two capture points that you shouldn't have to. Now I realize a good team can hold the first point, both by using turrets in that little dug out area, or by having some damn good pyros and demos comboed with heavies and medics. However, once that point is capped, you have access to the roof. The roof makes the perfect spot to set up sticky camping. This is a problem.

No matter what you think, or how you feel about it, if you think about it in terms of strategy, yes it makes sense to sticky the door. However, in all fairness, I don't think it should be allowed. Besides, the door at the second point on the map becomes useless once the second point is captured.

Wes, it's your server, it's your call. But to be honest with you, I wouldn't allow it, solely based on the fact that it gets perma-shut once the second point is captured and becomes moot. Besides that, once the opposing team is on top of that door, even if the point isn't captured, that makes it hard enough to get out. Sticky bombing it up makes it impossible. And I think that's the point that people, including atmuh, have been trying to make.

Also...I agree with zircon about Turbine. Even spies can't get through because of the narrowness of the vents once there's a turret positioned there. It's virtually impossible, and two turrets or more make for a nasty game.

To be honest, I think it would be easiest to just ban camping altogether, unless you're a sniper. If you're a sniper, it's to be expected. Otherwise, no.

maybe you should post the new rule here so that the people who stopped playing because they were tired of the faggotry don't have to go through the trouble of opening the game to see it

I already did post it, is it my fault you were too lazy to read the posts? In addition, nobody framed the problem in a way where it could be fixed and I had to figure out the solution myself after ignoring Atma's bitching that deflected away from the problem. Being unreasonable ala Atma is now chic?

I run the OCR server for the community, and it costs money & time. You all should notice that I don't solicit money even monthly - I've always just said donate at your own preference, time & amount. I lose money on the server. I've always solicited feedback for fixing problems. I cannot fix a problem that nobody adequately brings to my attention though. You only have yourselves to blame for when that happens. In addition, I gave lots of people admins on the server - there are 13 admins. It should not be difficult to get in contact with any of the other 12 to enforce the rules or to give warnings.

Do people prefer Atma's closedminded/unreasonable viewpoint to the point where they do not wish to play on a server that was always for them? If this is so, maybe I should discontinue running the server, as it is clear nobody appreciates the effort I've put in to create a safe haven for the OCR community as well as a welcoming place for other likeminded outsiders. You do not see the obnoxious and terrible micspamming that plagues servers like 2fort2furious or any other random pub server. You don't see most of the griefing that appears on other servers, and the few times that it does happen, people seem to endure or not even tell the admins/post in this thread about. I think it's ridiculous that people are choosing to move from this server, which was for them in the first place, simply because they did not wish to identify any problems so that they could be solved. I've been busy this semester, but I lurk on IRC at night and I read this thread all the time.

So tell me people, should I shut down the server?

Well there's no need to panic just yet, Bahamut. I think it's kind of expected for this sort of thing to happen on the grand opening. I personally like the extra aspect that stats add to the game, but it's nice to not have to worry about them once in a while. This is essentially a replacement for the Remod server, and that never permanently drew any players away from the OCR server.

I do suggest replacing pl_dustbowl with cp_downtown_b3 though. :) Would be nice to see an arena map or two as well for some extra variety.

Well there's no need to panic just yet, Bahamut. I think it's kind of expected for this sort of thing to happen on the grand opening. I personally like the extra aspect that stats add to the game, but it's nice to not have to worry about them once in a while. This is essentially a replacement for the Remod server, and that never permanently drew any players away from the OCR server.

I do suggest replacing pl_dustbowl with cp_downtown_b3 though. :) Would be nice to see an arena map or two as well.

It's not that I'm panicking - I'm frustrated with an obvious disconnect where people just don't want to communicate any problems and then decide to whine that my management is the problem by implication. That sort of childishness, for something I do out of my spare time and spare money for the community, is a slap to the face, and ungracious for all that I've done and continue to do for the community with the server. The one thing I can't do is fix something that someone doesn't bring to my attention in some way, and if people are going to be that ungrateful for something that's their fault, then I give up. It's not worth the waste of effort and moreover, the insult to it, especially the suggestion that my judgment is worse than Atma's by this, although nobody dared or cared to ever bring up why I was ever wrong in how I ran things.

I just don't take well to suggestions, direct or implied, that I'm not reasonable since my profession is about reason, and I have never done anything unreasonable that I don't apologize for when it is pointed out clearly. The reaction shows me that too many people think my efforts are not good or reasonable enough compared to Atma's, and I take great offense to that considering the situation.

And I played tonight because I was allowed to. :|

(provided I play more) I'm going to play where all the people I enjoy playing with are. And tonight that was on atmuh's server. I agree with Dhsu about it being nice to have a competitive, and a laid back server though. That would be fantastic. Its not very realistic, but its wonderful.

I really, really enjoyed playing on the OCR server during the few months where everyone was okay with having laughs, and/or competitive play, spontaneously changing from one to another. That was fantastic. tbh, as soon as the servers started catering to a large enough volume that we NEEDED admins, and to form concrete rules, everything just got too formal. We stopped playing like a community and started playing like a clan server. There's not a whole lot that can be done about that. The community is where its at however. And it got lost in the rest.

So basically as always, I have no solution for anything cuz I'm a damn neutral, but thats my 2 cents. I can tell you that If i were playing regularly, I'd be playing in both servers. One or the other under their current standards wouldn't work for me. So I wouldn't take it personally Bahamut. You went one way, Atmuh went the other. People have been playing your way for several months, and the other is a refreshing change for now. I assume it will level out. It's nice to have both, but its not very cost efficient for you, that much can be appreciated. So hopefully the community responds to your inquiry soon.

I hope you have taken no offense by my standards. My intent is in no way the same as Atmuh's, I just want to play. It was opening night, and it was a great one with Rambo playing, the continuing of the shame that is bonzai, and other good stuff (like making [ZUZ]SeldonAtreides play the entire time with 0.0000 gravit)y. Plus I have admins, and learning the console is a pretty sweet feature. And, yes, it's sort of the new ReMod server, and I will always have a larger bond to them (mostly because this is the only thread I post in here, because I missed the "golden age" due to dial-up), so I'm sorry if I'm detracting from the community. But in the end it's just another place for this community to play, with a more laid-back tone and a bit more WACKY and ZANY.

Pretty much, I'm in the same respects as Rambo. If there is people on, I'll play. If not, I'll probably lurk around in Atmuh's and mess around with admin stuff. lol internet drama~

TL,DR; <3

I went where the people went, it was a great opening night, lots of fun. I honestly don't care about any of these rule/admin disputes, I just want to play the game. And it just so happened that the people where in rise last night, if they're in OCR tonight then I'll play there.

Man...Internet drama.

I actually didn't play last night, sorry to everyone for that. Have a test today (in about 30 minutes, actually) that I needed to study for.

Turns out, I probably shoulda played...as I'm going to get my ass kicked by the test anyways. :-/

Do people prefer Atma's closedminded/unreasonable viewpoint to the point where they do not wish to play on a server that was always for them? If this is so, maybe I should discontinue running the server, as it is clear nobody appreciates the effort I've put in to create a safe haven for the OCR community as well as a welcoming place for other likeminded outsiders.

I think that in your perspective you may feel people don't care, but that is far from the truth. I was and still am very grateful for the OCR server. I've been to other servers, but none that had the same atmosphere as the OCR server. You have maturity mixed with a nice touch of goofiness. It is thoroughly enjoyable and I don't even want to think of the day when that ends.

As I see it, Atmuh's server is a sort of place to go to "let your hair down". Do what you will without worry of your stats. Once you've had your fun, you switch over for a more serious game on OCR.