Mother 3

Kroze

i think ive been playing this game like earthbound so far, at a relatively low level

would anybody who has completed chapter 7 tell me what general levels you were at? he's giving me a hell of a time

I just got Duster back right now in chap 7 , and my levels are

Lucas: 33

Duster:28

Kumatora:31

Boney:32

I just finished playing this game, and I must say that it was fantastic.

One of the things that I loved most for this game was the difficulty. I never had to stop and grind, however I game over'ed about 8 or 9 times, but there was no place which was particularly impossible (though i must admit, there were a couple of boss fights that took quite a bit to overcome).

Also, I really like what they did with the rolling HP counter, I feel they put it to much better use in this game than they did in earthbound. I love how they give you a chance to revive an ally that took mortal damage before their hp runs out. Incidentally enough, if you are quick enough on the draw, you can almost indefinitely keep yourself alive as long as you have Psi/items to sustain yourself.

Also, they also did a good job with the money issue where, as long as you never ran away from fights, you would always have enough money to buy most of the best equipment available.

The story was also superb as well, but for the sake of not spoiling anything (and lazyness) I wont expound any more.

They did so many things right in this game that I daresay this is one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

I cant understand why they didn't choose to localize this game... their loss I guess.

So... when are we going to see a remix project of this game in its 250 track glory? :grin:

Finished it last night, and yeah, there are SO many reasons that this did not get localized. NOA would freak.

First the transexual gypsies, the humorous "rape" scene with the tranny gypsy and lucas (I know there wasn't actual rape, it was just supposed to SOUND like it via the dialogue).

The death in chapters ones and eight, and the extremely mature way of handling things would just never fly with NOA.

Too bad, because as Nintendo grows up in other aspects -- blood and gore -- they still refuse to grow up in other aspects -- real maturity and emotional experience.

Finished it last night, and yeah, there are SO many reasons that this did not get localized. NOA would freak.

First the transexual gypsies, the humorous "rape" scene with the tranny gypsy and lucas (I know there wasn't actual rape, it was just supposed to SOUND like it via the dialogue).

The death in chapters ones and eight, and the extremely mature way of handling things would just never fly with NOA.

Too bad, because as Nintendo grows up in other aspects -- blood and gore -- they still refuse to grow up in other aspects -- real maturity and emotional experience.

Indeed. Too bad M3 is the BEST game I have played on a long time in terms of emotional content. Chapter 1 literally made me tear up when you find out that Hinawa died. The good news/bad news line there was just and amazingly horrible way to reveal that. I had to pause my game and just stare at the screen asking myself if he really just said that.

For the love of god someone find me something that plays roms on the ds's bottom ds slot.

And noone hassle me. I bought the damn game a while ago. I just want to be able to play this game the way it was meant to be played instead of patching it and keeping it on my pc.

QFE... I'm afraid I'm pretty clueless when it comes to homebrew. Is there any straight-forward tutorial out there which would explain what I need to buy and do in order to get Mother 3 running on my DS Lite?

QFE... I'm afraid I'm pretty clueless when it comes to homebrew. Is there any straight-forward tutorial out there which would explain what I need to buy and do in order to get Mother 3 running on my DS Lite?

It shouldn't be hard to google up, but if you're patient, I'll post a tutorial here once I get my flashcart. It shipped last week......so I should theoretically get it in another week. Or two. You know how free shipping from Hong Kong can be.

I just beat Mother 3 last night. That was one of the most satisfying experiences I've had in a long time.

I'm on Chapter 7 now, and I've gotta say that the plot is much darker and feels more serious than the first two Earthbound games. Still, this is one of the best RPG experiences I've had a long time.

Arek, VisualBoyAdvance will correctly emulate the Gameboy Player, so you can play on your TV in a "legitimate" way if you don't get the flashcart working.

So...you're using a PC emulator to play a GBA game on your TV? :?

Here's what you need to play Mother 3 on your DS (like me :D ):

1. DS flashcard (aka Slot-1) - These are usually for playing DS games, but in this case it's needed to load games onto your GBA expansion. Pretty much anything will work, but I wouldn't recommend the old R4DS as it's pretty obsolete at this point. A few sites I'd try: DealExtreme, RealHotStuff, Gameyeeeah, KickGaming.
  2. GBA expansion (aka Slot-2) - You can NOT play GBA games without this. There are no acceptable GBA emulators for DS, mainly because these exist. The most popular choices right now are the EZ Flash 3-in-1, M3 DS Real GBA Expansion Pack, and eWin Expansion Pak.
    I use the 3-in-1 because, hey...it's 3 in 1 - it acts as a rumble pack, RAM expansion, and GBA flashcart. The other expansions just play GBA games. And there's a GBA-sized version if you have a DS phat or (in my case) want the option of playing it in a GBA or GBA Player.
    You can get the M3 DS Real expansion by itself or bundled with its Slot-1 partner.
    The eWin expansions are sold out everywhere I know of, but you can find the other two expansions at most of the stores I listed.
  3. Patched Mother 3 ROM - Duh.
  4. microSD card - This goes in your Slot-1. Put your ROM on here. Pretty much any Slot-1 flashcard will come with a USB adapter so don't worry about that.
  5. GBA ROM loader software - If you have a CycloDS Evo, this is built into the firmware. If you have an M3 DS Real, it will support the M3 DS Real GBA expansion natively. Similarly, the EZ Flash V has native support for the EZ Flash 3-in-1. Otherwise, Rudolph's GBA ExpLoader is what you want (no, it will not make your DS blow up). Download, extract, and put it on your microSD card. Regardless of what you have, what you do with the software will be the same: load Mother 3 onto your GBA expansion and run it.

And voila, easy 16 combos! All told, this will probably end up costing about the same (or less) it would to import Mother 3 (although you should do that anyway).

You can get a standalone GBA flashcart but it's generally not worth it IMO unless you don't have a DS in which case dude what is wrong with you. Although if that is the case, it might be easier to just pay someone to flash a 3-in-1 and send it to you. :P

I recommend DealExtreme as well, as i have bought more than a few things there, and everything has arrived in a timely manner (for HK shipping). Their prices are also ridiculously low.

I myself own a m3ds real + GBA addon and it works flawlessly with Mother 3, but I think more cost effective solution would be to get one of the other slot one carts as well as one of those EZ-Flash 3 in 1's.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that I'm a little 'late to the party' so-to-speak, so forgive me for bumping this thread.

I just finished the game mere minutes ago... and it's easily the best game I've played in quite some time. It's probably the first video game that I've ever felt emotionally involved in. That final battle nearly brought me to tears. :oops:

It's not hard to see why the game hasn't been officially localized, though. In a way, I'm kinda glad that it was translated by fans; I daresay it would have been HEAVILY censored had it been given a proper North American release.