Keyboard drum jam to classic VGM

Harmony

Got a new camera for my birthday and recently built a new drum sample set. Put the two together and waddya got?

Enjoy!

For those interested, this is the same free drum kit that I posted in the remixing forum a little while ago. SO much fun to jam with :)

>> NEW VIDEO <<

New video for Zircon's Groove Bias drum sample library! For a limited time only, this video comes with increased production value!!!

Thanks OCR, glad you enjoy!

Man I'm jealous. This is some amazing stuff!
Dude, for someone who types at 166 wpm you shouldn't be all that jealous. Your fingers move pretty frickin fast too. In fact, if someone were to steal your mouse, you'd probably start programming all of your phat beats from the keyboard just like I do...only faster...and without any misspelled notes... :)

Incredible work. Do you have any training on drums or are the beats just things you picked up from what you heard?

Also, I'm curious to know how you have the kit arranged. You've obviously got a lot more of each instrument than what you'd find in a standard GM drumkit setup. What software is hosting the samples you're using, and do you have any tricks you could share about how the samples are arranged? It seems like you've got a setup that's arranged the different samples to make it easy to remember where different sounds are. Also, how did you do the machine-gun snare? Was that something you triggered specially, or did you somehow play that?

Incredible work. Do you have any training on drums or are the beats just things you picked up from what you heard?

Also, I'm curious to know how you have the kit arranged. You've obviously got a lot more of each instrument than what you'd find in a standard GM drumkit setup. What software is hosting the samples you're using, and do you have any tricks you could share about how the samples are arranged? It seems like you've got a setup that's arranged the different samples to make it easy to remember where different sounds are. Also, how did you do the machine-gun snare? Was that something you triggered specially, or did you somehow play that?

You know, I've wanted to make a keyboard drumming tutorial for some time now. Mostly for fun, but it might help some people program some more realistic drum parts. I'm not a drummer at all though, so I'm a little hesitant to give a tutorial where I'd have to make up a bunch of drum terminology and have the DrumUltima's of the world laugh at my ignorance :)

You can download the kit from the link in the op to see how it's arranged, but it's basically GM-improved. There are identical kicks at B2 and C3. I have three identical snare samples on D3,Eb3,E3 with the only difference being the velocity mapping of the layers (medium-hard,light,hard). The snare roll at 0:51 is played using the medium-hard and hard keys. My favorite non-GM placement is having identical closed hi-hat samples on Gb3 and Ab3. Putting the pedal hi-hat on the Ab3 as in the GM spec is terrible for playing. Fortunately, most kits I've seen don't do that anymore. Other than that, the only special item (other than 4 splashes...I love splashes) are the choke samples on all of the crashes/splashes one-octave above their standard positions. Sometimes it's cool to have a single generic choke key that cuts whatever cymbal sample is playing, but with the sfz specification that this sample set was arranged in, adding a choke key doesn't easily allow you to control the attack and release of the choke. So I took the easy road out and did individual chokes.

One thing that I have yet to experiment with is placing another kick somewhere else, like B4. That would allow some really cool double-bass techniques that are basically impossible with the kicks so far left of everything else. In fact, I've been trying to learn

for keyboard and I don't think it's physically possible without a kick towards the right of the range

• 1 month later...

This video was so cool that I asked Harmony to do a similar one using drum samples from my new drum library, Groove Bias. The result is a ridiculously awesome remix of Peter Gunn's theme (also BGM from Spy Hunter) and James Bond (also BGM from Goldeneye.) Check it out -

http://vimeo.com/4682836

I've shown this to a number of drummer friends of mine IRL who are furious that they can't play like that on an actual set... :-)

Oh man, if Sam ever decided to start playing piano drums...wow. Although I can't imagine someone who finesses the 88 keys so beautifully as a piano, banging rhythmically on just a few on them :)

oh im sure he'd have some wild setup where every single key is represented in proper percussive octaves