Suggest anime to buy at Otakon

justinj212

Otakon is coming up, and now that I have a steady source of income I am looking to buy some dvd's. I like most genres, and would appreciate some suggestions of stuff to pick up (preferrably stuff that hasn't been on Cartoon Network). I realize that a lot of you like Naruto and Bleach, and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those series, but that's not really what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!

And forum admins, I did look to see if such a post had been made recently and couldn't find one. Please let me know if there is one and we can save everyone some time. I also realize that this thread has the potential to turn into a flame fest (i.e. LOL [series name here] SUXX0RS ZOMG and the like) so I will keep an eye on it and let you know if it starts going in the wrong direction. I'd hope we'd be mature enough for that not to happen, but this is the internets.

It would help if you mentioned what sort of stuff you like, or at least listed series that you liked so that we had SOME idea of your tastes. I know you said you liked most genres, but the fact that you specifically exclude Naruto and Bleach suggests that million-episode shonen series (DBZ, One Piece, Nartuo, Bleach, etc) isn't your thing, so more of that sort of info would be useful.

I'm guessing you like the stuff that is more serious and adult oriented; hint not naruto or bleach?

Did you ever see Evangelion on Cartoon Network? Were you able to handle it? Because if you don't want something that complex and messed up at times that will knock out some possible tittles.

This is a great site for Anime recommendations:

http://myanimelist.net/

I've just started to get into "serious" anime recently thanks to my suitemates, but I've thoroughly enjoyed Ergo Proxy, Death Note, and the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs.

Death Note has an epic, well written story. Very suspense oriented. Totally different than DBZ or the like - I was surprised at how...weird...it was. Imagine Sherlock Holmes gaining the power to kill everyone...and doing so.

Ergo Proxy is a cyberpunk post apocalyptic journey. It's got lots of philosophy and is quite thought provoking. If you liked Bioshock I'd bet you'd like this.

Hellsing Ultimate is just ridiculous. Nazi Vampires and zombies with guns meets the matrix. yeah. And the main character is the universe's biggest badass. He could beat up Chuck Norris. seriously

They're going to get me to watch Ghost in the Shell soon, so I'd imagine it's good as well.

my 2c

I suggest Beck and Planetes.

Beck is a coming-of-age story told through the lens of rock and roll, and is completely awesome. It takes a few episodes to get rolling, but is riveting once it really gets going. Has incredible music to boot. Also, the dub is on par with the original Japanese; they *really* took their time to get the dub right, including all the music.

Planetes is a hard sci-fi show about space garbagemen. I know that sounds stupid, but if you like hard sci-fi, you need to see this show. Has some twists you just won't see coming, and is beautifully animated throughout. And for my money has the best ending of any anime I have EVER seen (and I've seen a lot of anime). I couldn't watch another show for 3 weeks after I finished Planetes simply because I knew its ending couldn't begin to compare to Planetes'.

Edit: Also, ignore the people who tell you to get Akira. Instead of getting that and being confused, go buy (or borrow from the library or a friend) the manga. It is ridiculously good. THEN, once you're done with the manga, go back and watch the movie, and you'll enjoy it a whole helluva lot more for having read the manga first.

It would help if you mentioned what sort of stuff you like, or at least listed series that you liked so that we had SOME idea of your tastes. I know you said you liked most genres, but the fact that you specifically exclude Naruto and Bleach suggests that million-episode shonen series (DBZ, One Piece, Nartuo, Bleach, etc) isn't your thing, so more of that sort of info would be useful.

If you would like some examples: Berserk, Evangelion, FLCL, Count of Monte Cristo, Hajime no Ippo, Ghost in the Shell, Haruhi, and Speed Grapher to name a few. Not saying I dislike the series you mentioned, but I already know about them. As I said, I like pretty much everything.

don't buy shit at conventions

likely the price will be way too much. look on ebay or craigslist, lol

rest assured I will price check everything beforehand.

If you do buy anything, I'd wait until Saturday night, or Sunday at the very least, since you can probably come away with some good deals. Sunday is usually the day of choice since a lot of dealers don't want to lug a lot of their wares back home with them.

If you want anime that's not just the usual fare, in terms of both art and plot, go for Gankutsuou, Mononoke, and Kaiji. Akagi too. The first is a retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo story, with some of the most amazing style and art direction I've ever seen in animation. Mononoke, although I'm personally not a huge fan, primarily because it's creepy and haunting, has even more amazing art than Gankutsuou.

Akagi and Kaiji both chronicle gamblers of one form or another. They're both made by the same guy, and both are hilarious and tragic at the same time. The story is new and fresh- it's great to have stories like this in a medium that often boils down to either "weird shit detective" or "boy and girl fall in love BUT IT CAN NEVER BE."

Also do yourself a favor and buy some Lupin the 3rd. It's a classic, and sells on the cheap cheap.

I'm not sure what you like... but I can offer a couple suggestions.

For movies, Jin-Roh is one of my favorites, and often overlooked. It's set in a contemporary police-state Japan, with conflicts between riot police, terrorist groups, and an officer who gets mixed up in a plot between rival factions. Really good.

For series, I really liked Samurai Champloo--I believe the DVDs are out of print now, so if you do manage to find it, the price might be steep. I'm also sort of getting into Baccano.

My tastes in anime have really narrowed in the last few years, so I don't keep up so much with what's current, I'm afraid. KF

I don't know what exists in retail buuuut...

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) - quirkiest and best series ever. Really.

NHK ni Youkoso! (Welcome to the N.H.K.) - Humoristic and charming slice of life about a guy living in his room by his computer, afraid of people (!!!)

Genshiken - An anime about geeks. Really.

FLCL - Pure high-octane awesome. Funny awesome. With stuff coming out of a guy's forehead. Yeah.

Dead Leaves (feature length DVD) - The most crazy movie I've seen for a while, fantastic but an acquired taste.

Tekkonkinkreet (feature length DVD) - Anime masterpiece based on the Black & White manga. Best soundtrack ever too.

Paprika (feature length DVD) - Very well done and slightly trippy movie about people going crazy :3

Taimanin Asagi - Brutal but fantastic Hentai. Yeah, I went there.