OCR01909 - Final Fantasy VII "Crying Planet"

djpretzel

I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm reminded rather heavily of the soundtrack for either Ghost in the Shell (2, I believe) or Akira (though, not because of the artist's name). Either way, I think this track is pretty rockin'. I agree with djp and the judges, in that I would like to hear more. It's just feels like it could grow into some super epic territory with a few more minutes. Anyway, nice work. I hope to hear more of your stuff on OCR. :D

Well, overall, nice work on this memorable piece.

I think the intro sounded a little clunky (i.e: not well thought-out/put together).

At 1.07-1.14 and at 2.06-2.10, I can almost swear that I can hear 'Wutai' in the upper strings. Intentional or not, it made for a good surprise.

The use of a Grand Pause (circa-0.20) was very dramatic. But, because of its use at the beginning, the end left me wanting (read: expecting) more.

As I said, nice work overall and I truly hope you make more mixes like this, but with some length to them.

What's awesome about this is that it's subtle in it's arrangement, but the sense of urgency remains hovering as you listen. I could easily see this building into some awesome cut scene, or something where the suspense keeps building. Nice work, but it would be great to have this have a real climax somewhere (I found that to be what was lacking).

Reminds me of a dungeon exploration scene in an RPG just before a big boss fight. Personally, I like the very dramatic, deliberate percussion you've got going on, but I don't like the synth that came in during the first part of the song. I've heard synth pulled off well in an orchestral arrangement before, but it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb here, in my opinion.

And yeah, a climax would have been excellent here; what you've got feels like about half of a (quite excellent) song that didn't quite get enough time in the incubator. It's clear that you're a competent remixer though, I look forward to hearing more from you in the future!

This has a great atmosphere, and as mentioned by others the cinematic feel strikes me as something that would be used in a movie or game--in fact, unless you object I may use this to set the mood in a DnD game sometime. It does seem to be lacking something though--others have mentioned lack of length, but if one tries to extend a piece longer than one wants, one risks dragging things out unnecessarily instead. I think what this needs is a better conclusion--the ending left me thinking, "So, wait, that's it?" A stronger, firmer ending would've helped more than a bit more length I think (hurr hurr double entendres).

• 2 weeks later...

I like what's there, even though it's not much (speaking in terms of length). If the remix had been longer, it would've needed a real climax, IMO, or it would've drifted too much into BGM territory; the kind of BGM that's nice in the background but not particularly interesting to listen to on its own.

Also, I, for one, liked the synth.

• 2 years later...

Now that I've heard the source over and over in game (as opposed to when I judged this, which was my first time hearing the source), I can say... well, basically the same thing I was quoted as saying in the write-up. :razz: I love how the 6-note theme keeps drifting in and out on different instruments - the execution of that was brilliant. This is one of those mixes where almost all the interpretation is just in how the original pieces are used. There's little new material here, but a very distinct direction and voice.

• 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01909 - Final Fantasy VII "Crying Planet"