Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

Ok, so I broke down and DLed the demo for the game, and HOLY SHIT is it ever broken. The controls and gameplay are retarded and thrown together so haphazardly that I couldn't figure out what the hell I was supposed to be doing other than trudge along and try not to die.

Anyone ever mess with the Enemy Edit Mode in Dawn of Sorrow? Where you pick whatever enemies you want and throw them all together in a room and then challenge yourself to duke it out with them all? That's what this felt like - a bunch of random enemies and even more random cut 'n paste levels that were just dumped together without thought.

It really does piss me off that Konami put this together, probably thinking "Oh, well as long as we keep cranking out Castlevania games that pander to nostalgia and such, the fanbase will eat it up no matter what and we'll make easy money!". That's what this feels like. Worse than Judgment even. (and that's saying alot from me)

I can only hope the sales aren't so great that it justifies a sequel. I just feels insulting.

You mean every game past Symphony of The Knight wasn't pandering to the SoTN nostalgia?

If they were trying to make a quick buck pandering to nostalgia, then don't you think they'd just make another standard Metroidvania game with pretty much recycled everything instead of making the risky move of implementing a whole new mechanic(multiplay, and boss rush in PoR and OoE don't count) and presenting it to a fanbase who go into a full nerd rage whenever their favorite game is "violated"?

The 2D 'Vanias are near the end of their life-span, and if Lords of Shadow succeeds, then that would have most likely been the final nail in the coffin for the sidescrollers. The most likely scenario is that Igurashi says to himself "maybe I should try to shake things up a bit" and bam, a Castlevania with full multiplayer throughout. Sure it's missing a lot the trimmings that "fans" are expecting like a story(and give me a break, what Castlevania game can't be described by "Dracula's back, go kill him"?) and it certainly isn't perfect, but as a proof of concept it works pretty well.

If this game does well enough, and judging by all the random people I keep running into I'm assuming it will, then maybe we'll get an all new epic 'Vania with different new characters, game system, multiplayer, the works...

That's what this feels like. Worse than Judgment even. (and that's saying alot from me)

There is no way in hell that this game is worse than Judgment.

Judgment was meant to be taken as something more than an arcade game.

HoD is good for what it is. It is not meant to be an installment in the series. If HoD was 50 dollars like Judgment was, then yes, I would agree.

Judgment fails so hard because it was a full game rather than an arcade release. The things that were wrong with the game do not justify the 50 dollar pricetag.

As I posted in another thread, I'm extremely sick of Metroidvania games. Konami is terrible about these low-effort sequels, so I'm way more interested to check out THIS title since it has some legitimately new features. I only wish they went full oldschool and brought in characters like Simon or Richter instead of Jonathan, Grant, etc.

Aw man they should do what they did in... Harmony of Dissonance? (What the fuck guys you really couldn't think of a different musical word for this one?) In one of the GBA games, you could play as the 8-bit Simon in the boss rush (shitty jumping and absurd knockback and everything!)

There is no way in hell that this game is worse than Judgment.

Judgment was meant to be taken as something more than an arcade game.

HoD is good for what it is. It is not meant to be an installment in the series. If HoD was 50 dollars like Judgment was, then yes, I would agree.

Judgment fails so hard because it was a full game rather than an arcade release. The things that were wrong with the game do not justify the 50 dollar pricetag.

Yeah, people need to realize that this isn't setting out to be the next big thing. If you don't like Metroidvanias, this probably isn't for you. Also for the $15 price tag it's a lot more fun than I expected.

As I posted in another thread, I'm extremely sick of Metroidvania games. Konami is terrible about these low-effort sequels, so I'm way more interested to check out THIS title since it has some legitimately new features. I only wish they went full oldschool and brought in characters like Simon or Richter instead of Jonathan, Grant, etc.

Yeah, I was hoping to get Richter instead of Jonathan...but at least we're getting Maria! Hopefully they find a way to truly differentiate between Julius and Jonathan...

So I've been playing this game all weekend. I have a pretty awesome group, and we're plowing through all the different maps and whorin' loot like nobody else' business. Also pro tip: If you're in a group, have the guy with the highest luck open all the chests(at least the purple and green ones). Better loot opportunity.

You mean you think a fangame hack has more new features than a fangame hack sequel?

• 4 months later...
With the game having the DLC characters readily available, as well as me finally hitting winter break, I figure it's time to nab this and start playing.

Anyone still play this game?

EDIT: Anyone know the difference between Jonathan, Richter, and Julius?

I will give the game another whirl after I get back from Christmas break -- still working on one last paper until Wednesday or so. Is there a list of all of the DLC?