New OCR Project: Star Fox

SnappleMan

Today I was thinking "okay, I'll go to OCRemix.org and check out the Star Fox album that must have been done or is being worked on because it's a no-brainer." but my search ended in a total D:

So since it IS a no-brainer, I think it's I made this a reality. I figure it's been too long since I got a second album done here at OCR, so here goes.

I'm recruiting talent for a Star Fox album. Anyone and everyone is eligible, just send me a song you've done which you feel represents your best work, I'll decide if you're right for this. This is going to be a concept album, and a strict collaborative effort! This means that you will not be working on just one song by yourself. Everyone on this project will be working on the entire album together.

Tracklist: There is no set track list, I'll decide an order in which the songs will be arranged, then we will work on arranging them to fit the grand concept of the album.

Grand concept: The concept here is the game. When you play the game you choose a path, you follow that path, the end. Linear can be nice sometimes. We will arrange the music so that it roughly flows as one song. Of course the songs will be separated into tracks, but this means that some tracks will be very long (maybe longer than 10 minutes) and some short (maybe shorter than 2 minutes). It's all down to how everything fits together.

Your role: My goal here is to borrow people's talents and mix them together to get the very best sounding music done. The reason I want to make this a collaboration is because 60 minutes of ONE persons ideas get boring, and I really enjoy working with people because ideas grow really easily in that type of environment. Everything will be subject to my approval, but if it's not good you will know it's not good, and everyone else working on the project will know it's not good.

Project workflow: The project will begin with me designating tracks to the team. You will complete a WIP and send it to me. I'll place them in a framework with respect to the track order and whatever else, then we will send MIDIs of our WIPs to everyone involved, one track at a time. So remixerA sends me a WIP for song 1, then if I like it remixerA sends a MIDI of their work to everyone on the team, we all work on it, then we move on to song 2. The MIDIs that are sent out are the most important part! You can use your synths and samples for showing us what you intend to do, but we will be working in MIDI.

Production: As I said, we work in MIDI, that means all your ideas will be twisted, abused and warped. I will mix the entire album. Every member will be in charge of only a couple things sound wise. This way I can use the same basic acoustic drumkit on all the songs, same guitars and basses. Other things like pads, strings, synths, keyboards, electronic drums and percussion are all free to anyone in the group, but the basic "sound" of the album will be chosen by me.

The main goal here is to have an album which is a true collaborative effort. EVERYONE here has the ability to contribute amazing musical ideas, even if they can't properly reproduce them into music. That and I want to have an album on my MP3 player that doesn't get broken up into 40 separate albums because 40 different artists made the songs....

Anyway, it's much simpler than I made it sound. We just work on the songs till it sounds awesome and is done. Working this way will be hard for some at first, but you'll get used to it quickly and that whole "stuck with no more ideas" thing will become a thing of the past.

I'm only interested in people who are serious about music. I will ride you hard, I'll yell at you, I'll boot you out if you're not doing your work. Though, by the end of the process we'll SO be BFF ^___^!

Oh... yeah, before people start asking.... THIS IS ONLY FOR THE ORIGINAL STAR FOX ON SNES (which is the only game in the series to have good music as far as I'm concerned!)

Wow that was fast! Haha!

I can't wait to see what you dudes come up with.

Yeah, I got a whole lot of people asking to sign up from all corners of this scene. I noticed you sent an "application" too but I already had a most everyone I wanted by then.

I'd like to know:

*How many ReMixers did you recruit? (no names)

*How many tracks are you planning? (don't list any)

*Is the progress being kept private (unlike those in the Projects forum?)

*Gonna arrange the entire soundtrack of the game into 8-12 tracks.

*Progress may or may not be private, depends on how quickly I progress.

Yikes, gotta say I don't like how you've decided to go forth with this at all. Especially the bits about "You'll mostly only be working in MIDI," which begs the question of why the hell even get someone else to do that part? You'd be the one choosing the sounds, then, which, to me, reduces well over half the control I, as an artist or collaborator, have over my synth.

The other part is "The same acoustic drumkit, same guitar, same bass," for every song. That's...well, boring, repetitive and crap if you ask me. I try to never use the same guitar sounds for another song without tweaking them 'somewhat.' The same with drums--if I can help it, I try to never use the same combinations of drums.

I dunno, to me it seems like you're trying too hard to make it "cohesive" while in the same respect taking away the individuality of everybody working on it. As a control freak, I can understand why you'd want to do all that but it begs the question--with you doing so much of the parts yourself, why would you even need us?

For arrangements.

I hate this "don't use the same sounds" crap. I fucking hate it. Why do people get bent out of shape for using the same sound?

Are rock bands shitty for not changing their drum kit on every single track they record? What about the guitars? Does the guitar player have to change their guitar or guitar sound on every single song?

Where is the logic here?

Can an album not use the same Steinway Grand Piano on every song? Do you have to find a different Steinway Grand Piano for each piano recording?

Yes, it's fine to change the sound a little bit, and guitar FX are nice, but asking to change the sound on every recording is, well, "crap if you ask me."

But hey, what do I know? I "use the same crap in every song." (that's a direct quote from my girl - she didn't mean for it to sound that way, but I guess she's right. But she also listens to my music so whatever.)

Sorry, just heard a lot of this lately and it bugs me.

On a lighter note, this is awesome, except "boring, repetitive crap" because it uses the same snare on all four tracks:

http://projectdolphin.bandcamp.com/album/silvergun

I know in the iPod generation the idea of musical consistency is ridiculous, but there used to be a time when music meant something and was worth its weight in salt. There used to be things called CDs and vinyl. Ahh listen to me go on and on... I just wish kids these days had more appreciation for music.

Yikes, gotta say I don't like how you've decided to go forth with this at all. Especially the bits about "You'll mostly only be working in MIDI," which begs the question of why the hell even get someone else to do that part? You'd be the one choosing the sounds, then, which, to me, reduces well over half the control I, as an artist or collaborator, have over my synth.

The other part is "The same acoustic drumkit, same guitar, same bass," for every song. That's...well, boring, repetitive and crap if you ask me. I try to never use the same guitar sounds for another song without tweaking them 'somewhat.' The same with drums--if I can help it, I try to never use the same combinations of drums.

I dunno, to me it seems like you're trying too hard to make it "cohesive" while in the same respect taking away the individuality of everybody working on it. As a control freak, I can understand why you'd want to do all that but it begs the question--with you doing so much of the parts yourself, why would you even need us?

The individuality is in the arrangements. The sounds are only a small part of what makes a musicians, his musical mind is more important and his ideas are the foundation of his creativity. Just because you won't hear someones VSTs doesn't mean you wont hear their personality come through musically. Also, I mentioned that for the most part the composition will be done in MIDI, after we agree on an arrangement for a song each of the people involved will export their own parts whichever way they want them, through their own synths. As far as the acoustic drums go, one kit is all you need, especially for a concept album which is basically one really long song. There will be electronic percussion and other types of percussion all throughout the album.

I have one person dedicated to bass guitar for the entire album, one person for the drums, two people for guitars and on top of that we all arrange/compose the songs and choose our own instrumentation for our parts. I first tried this idea with the Contra 4 album and it was a complete success and people love the sound.