First Person Fighter

Souliarc

I can't wait for the first game developer to do the "first person fighter" genre right. I know there are games out there, but I'm talking killer reaction times, seeing muscles twitch to be able to counter your opponents attack, sensitive controls and response zones that make you barely hit and/or miss an attack, sophisticated attack and defense systems and physics, and more. I mean, you could basically map the different possibilities of fighting with the different forms of martial arts, in digital form. Is it even possible given the limited controls of a controller? Will the new motion controllers remedy this? I personally think that this game type is inevitable.

I don't see how they'll be able to move past something relatively simple (like boxing) to something complex (Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat) though. We've all become accustomed to performing slick moves that would be impossible for the large majority of gamers to mimic in front of their TVs. Or did you mean something entirely and solely based on martial arts?

I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong (what could be more fun that performing a special move with your hands and watching it on screen?) but I think it presents way too many challenges to pull off efficiently.

I mean, you could basically map the different possibilities of fighting with the different forms of martial arts, in digital form. Is it even possible given the limited controls of a controller?

Well the way I look at it, it's possible for me to perform Guile's double crouching sweep with a controller. I do NOT see myself being able to perform that technique using motion sensors (not without breaking my own neck, anyway).

While the majority of my rhetoric was geared towards something like a realistic fighting simulator, I won't say that something along the lines of a more supernatural fighting game can't be done. Either of these game types may possibly be tackled with a controller OR motion detection. I think they each have distinct advantages and disadvantages. Using a controller would negate the physical aspect of the game for the players and adhere completely to strategy, tactics, and reflexes (like what it already is for current fighter games), but realism from not using the human body would suffer. Using motion detection will allow the players physical prowess as an advantage, but may detract from the strategy and tactics if one person is significantly more in shape, just like real life.

Of course, if supernatural fighting games were going to be tackled by motion detection, the exact moves would not be able to be performed and there would have to be a substitute combo of moves.

Yes, lack of physical contact will inherently reduce realism and be a large hurdle to cross, but only for motion detection. For instance, using controllers, if a person punches but is blocked in the game, the game will respond accordingly. If there is motion detection involved though, the person who punched is still going to be in the extended punch position. I'm honestly not sure how this would be handled, but I'm sure, with brilliant thinking, some type of unique in-game system can be implemented to compensate for these current flaws.

The problem with this idea is that a screen does not accurately resemble a person's field of vision. In fact a problem with the realism of FPS's as well.

Consider this. Stand against a wall with your back to it. You can see the wall in your peripherals, even while looking straight ahead. Can an FPS camera convey that? No way. How would you be able to make a FP fighter if a person's feet could not be seen? They'd have to come up with some ridiculous fish-eye perspective.

Block, Straight, Hook, Uppercut, Grab, Elbow, Grab Punches, Headbutt, Backfist, Hammerfist, Double Hammer are the limitations in the demo video for the game being displayed - Motion Fighter. '>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTKpgSpq-8O

This looks about where we are now. And all you're asking for is that they make it have a first person perspective, extremely accurate muscle recognition (can we play this game in clothes?), extremely accurate hits/misses, and even the mapping of entire martial arts to the motion controller.

Hitboxes will be a huge problem, you're asking that they make the movement system a LOT more precise and responsive, I have no idea how well they can manage to implement kicking techniques or ground holds (Capoeria, Taekwondo, or Judo would be pretty pointless along with any number of other martial arts), and once they start mapping things to specific movements you start having overlapping movements or techniques with movements so difficult that people are unable to use them to their fullest extent (I'm looking at you Street Fighter 2 Fei Long, Sagat, & Cammy). Alternately, they could just accurately portray the player's own abilities on screen and simply offer a tutorial in every martial art.

Good luck seeing that anytime soon. In the mean time we have House of the Dead Wii Boxing.

I can't wait for the first game developer to do the "first person fighter" genre right. I know there are games out there, but I'm talking killer reaction times, seeing muscles twitch to be able to counter your opponents attack, sensitive controls and response zones that make you barely hit and/or miss an attack, sophisticated attack and defense systems and physics, and more. I mean, you could basically map the different possibilities of fighting with the different forms of martial arts, in digital form. Is it even possible given the limited controls of a controller? Will the new motion controllers remedy this? I personally think that this game type is inevitable.

Can it happen? Yeah. Will it? not any time soon for several of the reasons employed in this thread. And a couple that havent been.

Fighters the professional kind now, train for fights for significant periods of time. We're talking months and months of training. In the UFC 25 minutes is the longest a fight goes. A championship bout. usually they train for 15 minutes and if it goes that long they're fuckin exhausted. And we're talking about some of the fittest people on the planet. Your stereotypical gamer aint anywhere near in that good of shape. Your average fighting game currently is 8 fights. Standard configuration is best of 3 ranging from 60 seconds to 99 seconds. Less if you choose it. Infinte if you choose it. Assuming you take 30 seconds a round you get about...8 minutes of fighting. with maybe 15-20 seconds between fights and 10 between rounds. You have to be in serious shape to be able to maintain that kind of endurance. And in the case of the more supernatural games. You'd probably be unable to maintain that level of speed for any more than.. i'd say 5 minutes. There are physical limitations that prevent this on a serious level...unless the world got in far better shape.

Yeah... maybe I'm a little too optimistic.

I can see something like this being implemented more likely with a controller, at least, but for motion detection (other than boxing) not likely for now. With a controller you wouldn't have to worry about stamina, grappling, or peripheral vision issues (the camera would adjust as needed). I don't even think consoles would have the processing power to keep up with the minute adjustments in movement and introducing lag in something that is trying to be more realistic (were talking milliseconds here) would be unacceptable. As far as tackling mapping a controller with all the movements, well, with so many additional accessories being acceptable these days, if the game is good enough, maybe a new controller or add-on is in order.

Even though the idea is a little far-fetched, I think the industry is due for something that is at least more realistic and focused more on integrating real world martial arts, beyond what even the UFC games have done.

Give it time. I remember a discussion in 3rd grade after someone saw Back to the Future II where Elijah Wood mocks Marty McFly for playing a video game with his hands. That was 1988 portraying 2015. Now it's 2010 and we've got EyeToy and Kinetic. The technology is curving fast.

Give it seven or ten years and some poor schmoe will be suing Capcom because he broke his neck trying to do a flash kick on the motion-capture 1st person "Super Duper Street Fighter V.II Turbo 4th Strike RHD Remix...in 3D!" (Smell-O-Vision will be a Nintendo exclusive option).

Give it time. I remember a discussion in 3rd grade after someone saw Back to the Future II where Elijah Wood mocks Marty McFly for playing a video game with his hands. That was 1988 portraying 2015. Now it's 2010 and we've got EyeToy and Kinetic. The technology is curving fast.

Give it seven or ten years and some poor schmoe will be suing Capcom because he broke his neck trying to do a flash kick on the motion-capture 1st person "Super Duper Street Fighter V.II Turbo 4th Strike RHD Remix...in 3D!" (Smell-O-Vision will be a Nintendo exclusive option).

The 360 version will have real blood effects. Except they won't be effects. It'll turn out that you're just bleeding. Stupid Kinect.