3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

I've been batting around at the idea of buying a 3DS. The Fire Red 3DS (it'll eventually come out here, I'm sure), is looking as the one I'd buy.

But this news doesn't really give me much confidence in a purchase...

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/57263-nintendo-ds-outselling-3ds-two-to-one

I'm starting to believe that the DSi XL would be the better buy for me...

The DS outsold the 3DS because there are games for the DS. People aren't buying 3DSs to play DS games.

Wait until this winter, and we should be getting our fill of Mario and Star Fox, as well as other games.

Seriously, Nintendo, you hyped games that you said would be available at launch, and then all the good ones are still delayed.

So anyone check out the new 3d Video station?

The trailer didn't wow me but those two animations did. Good to see there's at least funny 3 min. videos for us to laugh at while we wait a good solid 3 months before another good 3ds game comes out.

Actually not sure if I'm sarcastic on that... maybe I'm just desperate for anything new on the 3ds.

I guess 3D Xevious looked cool.

Well I've got to say I've got four actual 3ds games and 2 downloadable titles. I've got Dead or Alive and SF4, which right now I could sure use someone than a computer to fight. Also got Samurai Warriors which I love, being a fan Dynasty Warriors. Also LoZ, but I wanted to start the master quest right off the bat, so I'm waiting on my brother to do it.

Oh and hey Thalzon, I actually saw you online when I was online. My 3ds had a blinking orange light going on, which I didn't know that means friend online. So I first though "Oh crap battery life!" Then I realized that it was a friend online thing going on. So yea. Pretty pointless but it brightened up my day just actually seeing someone else on. Also can't send messages to each other through 3DS, kinda disappointed in that.

I wouldn't say it's a flop per se as much as it's Nintendo making a gross miscalculation in their adoption rate predictions and misreading the market.

I'm not sure they've realized that most buyers of the Wii/DS weren't really concerned with that audio/visual "pop" of your standard HD console and were more interested in the novelty of shovelware and stuff soccer moms and 5-year-old girls could get into, and like a commenter on the Joystiq story pointed out, now smartphones are filling that niche for casual games.

So what we have now is a Nintendo that has to start catering to the audience that made them grow in the first place, but with all the bad decisions they've made in the past 5 or 6 years, they're going to be facing an uphill battle. With the PSVita on the horizon, lowering the price of the 3DS drastically during a general dearth of new and interesting games is pretty much the only thing they could do to stay a contender. It definitely makes me more interested in the system, if only by a bit.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/07/nintendo-drops-price-of-3ds-to-170/1

From $250 to $169. Holy shit. This was an awful, awful launch and they know it. Who the fuck did they think they were, Apple?

From the article: Anyone who owns a 3DS system before August 11th will get 10 NES games and 10 GBA games for free. Pretty great if you've already got one.

the sad thing is that the 3DS still doesn't interest me at all.

as for the apple comment...it would make sense, when you look at how they've rebranded themselves over the past 5-6 years it does scream "we want to be apple"

The N64 is the reason the PlayStation line became as big as it is (or was). GameCube was a step in the right direction, but I suppose the Xbox overshadowed it.

the N64 itself was good though, the playstation line was nintendo's blunder because it was supposed to be an SNES add on but they got greedy and backed out of the deal because they thought sony was getting too much

Edited by liquid wind

the sad thing is that the 3DS still doesn't interest me at all.

as for the apple comment...it would make sense, when you look at how they've rebranded themselves over the past 5-6 years it does scream "we want to be apple"

the N64 itself was good though, the playstation line was nintendo's blunder because it was supposed to be an SNES add on but they got greedy and backed out of the deal because they thought sony was getting too much

The N64 was an awful piece of hardware limited by extremely low memory (which is why textures are so blurry that you can rarely ever tell what anything is supposed to be) and, of course, carts.

How some companies managed to make the like 7 good games on that system alone is beyond me. There should have been 0 with that awful hardware.

psx's in game graphics were typically much worse, the only thing that made it more impressive were pre-renders

both systems look pretty terrible when you take a step back from that era of course

PSX having worse graphics is subjective in a lot of cases. Do you prefer sharp IQ but jaggy edges, or blurry massive blobs of pixels on your TV screen?

The N64 should not have been as awful as it was. It had no reason to be.

The N64 was an awful piece of hardware limited by extremely low memory (which is why textures are so blurry that you can rarely ever tell what anything is supposed to be) and, of course, carts.

How some companies managed to make the like 7 good games on that system alone is beyond me. There should have been 0 with that awful hardware.

Are you...

Are you shitting me?

There was so much innovation on the N64 platform. It was Rare's heyday, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, all the awesome Mario sports games, Mario 64, the dawn of Super Smash Bros., Conker's Bad Fur Day, and there were the sleepers like Rayman 2, Iggy's Reckin' Balls, Goemon.

What kind of Nintendo fan are you!? The N64 was ninty's prime example of how they don't need stellar hardware to turn everything into gold.

you had me until you started talking mario sports games

strictly in terms of game library though, the N64 was a much better system than the wii is

Do you prefer sharp IQ but jaggy edges, or blurry massive blobs of pixels on your TV screen?

the jaggies made most anything remotely complex look like garbage, FFVII has more aesthetically pleasing character models than FFIX and that just shouldn't happen. the more detail added, the more mess created by the jaggyness

ffix_b2_screen024.jpg

gfs_27554_2_10_mid.jpg

N64 might have lower res textures and often had to go a more simple route but I prefer a cleaner look regardless. I don't see how you can say objects were difficult to differentiate in N64 games by comparison, most of what's on screen at least retains its proper shape where zidanes face here looks like missingno

Edited by liquid wind

I think there's been a significant change in the overall handheld electronics market since the rise of Apple, smartphones etc. A big portion of Nintendo's handheld demographic has been children. But now the parents of these children have become pretty savy on these things, so why buy a 3DS for their kid when they could buy them a more serious and practical device that also plays Angry Birds?

Makes you wonder what this means for Sony. Nintendo has always made very cost effective hardware, and they are more than capable of taking a financial hit like this. But Sony is obviously investing a lot into the Vita by both making it very powerful and selling it at a low price.

you had me until you started talking mario sports games

strictly in terms of game library though, the N64 was a much better system than the wii is

the jaggies made most anything remotely complex look like garbage, FFVII has more aesthetically pleasing character models than FFIX and that just shouldn't happen. the more detail added, the more mess created by the jaggyness

ffix_b2_screen024.jpg

gfs_27554_2_10_mid.jpg

N64 might have lower res textures and often had to go a more simple route but I prefer a cleaner look regardless. I don't see how you can say objects were difficult to differentiate in N64 games by comparison, most of what's on screen at least retains its proper shape where zidanes face here looks like missingno

PS1 shot looks waaaaaaaaaaaay better to me. Look at the textures on the clothes; you can see fair amounts of ruffles and shit. What do you see on that bitches shirt? Nothing it's a gradient, there is no texture, except on her apron and sleeves.

Ugly as shit, makes it plain and unappealing.

I think there's been a significant change in the overall handheld electronics market since the rise of Apple, smartphones etc. A big portion of Nintendo's handheld demographic has been children. But now the parents of these children have become pretty savy on these things, so why buy a 3DS for their kid when they could buy them a more serious and practical device that also plays Angry Birds?

Makes you wonder what this means for Sony. Nintendo has always made very cost effective hardware, and they are more than capable of taking a financial hit like this. But Sony is obviously investing a lot into the Vita by both making it very powerful and selling it at a low price.

Phones will never replace handheld gaming devices. One reason and one reason only: the shitty controls.

what scares me is people talking about the death of console gaming and the rise of general purpose devices like these in their stead

I don't want to play video games exclusively on a touch screen or a shitty keypad or something :( this is the whole reason spirit tracks was awful when it should have been good!

PS1 shot looks waaaaaaaaaaaay better to me. Look at the textures on the clothes; you can see fair amounts of ruffles and shit. What do you see on that bitches shirt? Nothing it's a gradient, there is no texture, except on her apron and sleeves.

I definitely like something clean with less detail rather than a lot of badly drawn detail, but I guess we have to agree to disagree on that

I still don't see how you can see the N64 as their biggest blunder though, from a financial perspective the gamecube sold half as much and from a critical perspective the wii is pretty terrible

Edited by liquid wind