OCR02183 - Super Mario Galaxy "Gusty Piano in a Garden"

djpretzel

Yay, I'm so happy to see this get posted! I heard bits and pieces when Vinnie was working on the production, and I was intrigued. Now that I've heard the whole piece, I think it's beautiful! I just love the part you mentioned in your writeup where it switches at 2:15. The jazzy chords are awesome. Def. looking forward to hearing more from you!

Wow, this is a gorgeous remix of one of my favorite video game themes ever. The moment I heard Gusty Garden in the game, I was in love with it. Your rendition absolutely does it justice.

The chords are delicious, I love the big jazz 9ths and the piano playing is superb. I'm definitely adding this one to my relaxing/peaceful music playlist, not something I can do with most music from OCR.

Please continue to remix! You have a real talent for making a style of music not often found with Mario tunes. :)

Shariq summed it up with "Yeah!!"

Seriously, some incredible piano playing -- thanks for sharing it with us. This is my favorite piece of Nintendo music from the current generation, among all of their franchises (and imo the best Mario piece post-SNES).

I wish this was two minutes longer, and that you gave yourself some time to further develop the jazz form, perhaps returning to the earlier straight version near the end. That aside, your playing is very emotive and you obviously know what you're doing. Next time, try to get us a little bit more mastering work (stereo recording, etc -- the judges covered this).

While I think the jazz ideas worked extremely well here, I would like to see you use your classical training and give us something that the musicologists in the room can really mull over. Maybe a sonata form using the two themes from Dancing Mad? :P

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the kind words, it's really appreciated and makes the work very much worth it (not that the work itself isn't gratifying enough).

Just wanna give one more shout out to Palpable, as without his help, this thing wouldn't be up here (or if it was, it'd probably sound pretty funky to your ears). Believe me, he made this thing sound loads better, and didn't really have much to work with to start. I gotta say, even though it doesn't seem like it took him too much strenuous work (feel free to correct me if you want, Vinnie), but the thing is, he didn't have to help at all. Just goes to show you how strong this community is, and I'm glad to be a part of it. :)

As for the mix itself, I'm glad to see people are enjoying it so far. The jazzy at 2:15 didn't last long because in all honesty, I didn't want to screw it up! Like I said, I'm a classical pianist, and I wanted to keep it modest for now. Maybe I'll try something longer in the future.

BardicKnowledge - your request for a piano sonata using Dancing Mad as a source is definitely tempting. It's always been one of my favorites!

Beautiful and enjoyable, every bit of it. The way it starts off small and modest and builds up to a nice, small energetic jazz stint was wonderful. A tad short, but not in length in my opinion. Short in the sense that if you sit back and enjoy it, it goes by fast. That’s when the repeat mood is a good tool. It really is a gorgeous piano/jazz piece, so well done.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I would love to make it available to those who are interested in it, but I don't really know how to go about doing that if I don't have a scanner. I wrote it out in my version of Finale 2010. If there is an easy way to get it on the 'net, just let me know and I could put it up.

I would recommend getting something like PDF Creator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/) and just creating a PDF file from Finale. You do that by "printing" the sheet music, but select PDF Creator from the list of printers instead of your normal one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Gusty Garden is one of my favorite sources of all time, smg music is just so good :O. Converting it to solo piano was a good choice, giving the mix a more delicate, beautiful feel. I liked the jazz variation at 2:15, gives a bit more variety.

I need to learn to play piano better to play this piece

• 1 year later...
On 2011. 5. 25. at 12:41 PM, Squint said:

Thanks for the tip Spikey! This is the first time I've used dropbox, so hopefully it works. Enjoy! :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30312375/Gusty%20Piano%20in%20a%20Garden.pdf

And oh yeah, the tempo marking at the beginning isn't necessarily accurate through the whole piece. I've never been great with annotating tempo in compositions.

Dropbox link is not working anymore. ;_;  Can anyone give me another DL link please?

I really want to play this with my hands.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02183 - Super Mario Galaxy "Gusty Piano in a Garden"