Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

Reggie Fils-Aime just announced that if anyone thought they'd be axing friend codes, it was too good to be true: He announced that there's going to be a simpler friend code system with the Wii U. All I can do is hope it'll suffice.

For better or for worse, they also announced the Wii U will not have a blanket achievement / trophy system. Instead, achievements will be optional and apply to individual games. This means Super Smash Bros. 4 will probably do its trophy system just as they've done for the past two "seasons", with the only difference being that the number of trophies to collect will break the quadruple digits.

I personally see this as not a big deal, but I will definitely not be buying a Wii U very soon. I'm afraid I'll be stigmatized and ridiculed for buying something after all the (beep) that Nintendo dragged their fanbase through since July 2008 (when Wii Music was demonstrated at E3 2008). Worse, I have to consider that with major purchases like these, I'm voting with my wallet, and if I spend more than X number of Bucks on a system, I'm doing so at gamers' (and especially Nintendo loyalists') expense. Sore kara...

...At worst, I'll sever ties with Nintendo for good, but I won't convert to PlayStation and XBOX consoles because I don't have enough interest in those. Instead, I'll cry a tear or two for Nintendo's past days of glory and what remains of their reverence, subsist on video footage of their software, and keep in touch with O-Clocked because our ReMixers have a lot of talent / potential / promise.

...At best, I won't buy a Wii U until the price recedes to less than $140, which will be near the end of the next generation of games. This'll be for the best, because the software will also run cheaper, and the hype about the games will be long since subsided, and I can play them after everyone else and enjoy the games for what they are rather than having to worry about whether they lived near to the hype.

Edited by GTAHater836

...At worst, I'll sever ties with Nintendo for good, but I won't convert to PlayStation and XBOX consoles because I don't have enough interest in those. Instead, I'll cry a tear or two for Nintendo's past days of glory and what remains of their reverence, subsist on video footage of their software, and keep in touch with O-Clocked because our ReMixers have a lot of talent / potential / promise.

Steam is a heck of a PC gaming platform that does not require a Wii U, PS3, or XBOX... and it carries many of the same titles, and more! (minus exclusives) Plus, FPS games are better on a PC.

Reggie Fils-Aime just announced that if anyone thought they'd be axing friend codes, it was too good to be true: He announced that there's going to be a simpler friend code system with the Wii U. All I can do is hope it'll suffice.

For better or for worse, they also announced the Wii U will not have a blanket achievement / trophy system. Instead, achievements will be optional and apply to individual games. This means Super Smash Bros. 4 will probably do its trophy system just as they've done for the past two "seasons", with the only difference being that the number of trophies to collect will break the quadruple digits.

I personally see this as not a big deal, but I will definitely not be buying a Wii U very soon. I'm afraid I'll be stigmatized and ridiculed for buying something after all the (beep) that Nintendo dragged their fanbase through since July 2008 (when Wii Music was demonstrated at E3 2008). Worse, I have to consider that with major purchases like these, I'm voting with my wallet, and if I spend more than X number of Bucks on a system, I'm doing so at gamers' (and especially Nintendo loyalists') expense. Sore kara...

...At best, I won't buy a Wii U until the price recedes to less than $140, which will be near the end of the next generation of games. This'll be for the best, because the software will also run cheaper, and the hype about the games will be long since subsided, and I can play them after everyone else and enjoy the games for what they are rather than having to worry about whether they lived near to the hype.

a) who would ridicule you for buying video games that would really influence your decision.

B) are you actually japanese or just using the 3 snippets of it you know

i personally do see reasons to be concerned definitely, but not at 'i don't want this system' level by any means. nintendo will make good nintendo games and that's what i'm looking for. friend codes and such suck but honestly nintendo single player experiences (which is just about every big budget nintendo game) don't need the internet. if i wanna play shooters and multiplayer stuff i'll do it on my computer.

i personally do see reasons to be concerned definitely, but not at 'i don't want this system' level by any means. nintendo will make good nintendo games and that's what i'm looking for. friend codes and such suck but honestly nintendo single player experiences (which is just about every big budget nintendo game) don't need the internet. if i wanna play shooters and multiplayer stuff i'll do it on my computer.

Pretty much this. See, with a PSVita or an XBOX, you aren't really sure what you're gonna get, besides probably a Halo, a CoD, a Wipeout and maybe a Ratchet and Clank and the two GoW series. Other than those - or if you aren't interested in those games - it's a crapshoot whether or not any games you want will come out for the system.

But in the case of a Nintendo console, you know that there will be Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Pikmin, (probably) F-Zero, and in some cases multiple instalments of these series. You have a guarantee that these games will arrive at some time, and when they do they will, as they almost always have, become the some of the highest rated games of the year, if not all time.

And honestly, with rare exception, I'm not really interested in the world of games on XBOX and Playstation. The style, graphics and gameplay of the core Nintendo franchises really, really appeal to me and are more fun and accessible to me than almost any third party/other console game I've ever played. I own the other systems but rarely turn them on. The only games I ever play on the PS3 or 360 are Captain America: Super Soldier and Red Dead Redemption.

To The Derrit: I took Japanese classes at the elementary level in college. On topic, I was just afraid people would ridicule me for siding with Nintendo on the grounds these people can't recall when Sony and Microsoft mistreated gamers like Nintendo did with Wii Music, their severe catering to half-gamers (to a lesser degree would've been one thing, but the problems with the Wii were ridiculous!), the frustrating online system, and everything else people look down upon the Wii for. Yes, I understand that the best thing about the Wii is the good games that I should've come to expect from them, but...

To Overflow: ...my fear is that gamers like you and I who realize the Wii has a bright side are just a small handful of the gaming community. I do owe Nintendo its credit: I have a strange appreciation for various natural environments and planetary culture settings; I've even been told I should try my hand at art after I described certain images inspired by Nintendo games! Plus, I forgot to clarify that me buying a Wii U way late when the price and hype subside is a far more likely scenario than severing ties with Nintendo.

Edited by GTAHater836

I was just afraid people would ridicule me for siding with Nintendo on the grounds these people can't recall when Sony and Microsoft mistreated gamers like Nintendo did with Wii Music

I'm sorry, I fail to understand how Wii Music is mistreating gamers.

Was it a horrible game? Yes. Worse than any other shovelware game out there? Don't think so. It's not like you were FORCED to buy it...

I don't know, maybe you have some special reasoning behind that statement that I just fail to grasp.

I'm sorry, I fail to understand how Wii Music is mistreating gamers.

Was it a horrible game? Yes. Worse than any other shovelware game out there? Don't think so. It's not like you were FORCED to buy it...

I don't know, maybe you have some special reasoning behind that statement that I just fail to grasp.

Not just Wii Music, but also the other ways Nintendo catered to half-gamers at full-on gamers' and Nintendo loyalists' expense. I once heard people spreading rumors that Project Hammer was canned to make way for Wii Music to be made instead, but I didn't know what to make of such rumors at the time. And was Disaster: Day of Crisis canned for reasons unrelated to the White Four (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, and Wii Music subseries)?

The latter half (July through December) of 2008 was arguably the worst half-year in Nintendo's history, because the only games Nintendo themselves had to show for it were Wii Music and Animal Crossing: City Folk, which I doubt people liked for 3 reasons: 1) Didn't build upon Animal Crossing 1 and Animal Crossing: Wild World very well. 2) Lacked some of the charm of its two predecessors. 3) The City had little to offer to the experience. But the most damning evidence of all is that various people (including the Game OverThinker) believe the half-gamers and non-gamers who bought and played the Wii for casual gaming reasons are unlikely to become full-fledged gamers.

To Thalzon: Did I say "ruined gaming"? All I meant to imply was that Nintendo's treatment of their fanbase was inferior to how Sony and Microsoft treated their fans since summer 2008, and that they deserve the challenges they're having in proving the Wii U worthy. I gave Nintendo credit for the good games (I also should've clarified my estimation at between 15 and 20 such games!) that WERE worth buying for the Wii, and for their artistic high taste, but with the unprecedented bad feelings towards Nintendo, I just don't think they did enough in favor of gaming otherwise in the past 3.9 years.

Edited by GTAHater836

Since Summer 2008, Nintendo published:

- The MotionPlus controller.

- Skyward Sword.

- Donkey Kong Country Returns.

- Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Bros. Wii, various Mario "party" games.

- Xenoblade.

- The Last Story.

- 2 Kirby games.

- Punch Out!

- Metroid: Other M and the Metroid Prime Trilogy set.

- Revised Pikmin 1 & 2 editions.

Not to mention both Brawl and Mario Kart were released in early 2008. That doesn't look bad to me.

Since Summer 2008, Nintendo published:

- The MotionPlus controller.

- Skyward Sword.

- Donkey Kong Country Returns.

- Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Bros. Wii, various Mario "party" games.

- Xenoblade.

- The Last Story.

- Kirby's Epic Yarn.

- Kirby's Return to Dream Land.

- Punch Out!

- Metroid: Other M and the Metroid Prime Trilogy set.

- Revised Pikmin 1 & 2 editions.

Not to mention both Brawl and Mario Kart were released in early 2008. That doesn't look bad to me.

I meant everything ELSE about Nintendo since July 2008. I do give Nintendo credit for the 7 titles I dyed purple, but the thing is, most of the gaming community asserts that that PS3 and XBOX360, within the scope of 2009 through 2012, has blown Nintendo's library out of the water, with such games as Mass Effect 2, BioShock 2, Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War 3, Skyrim, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat '011, Portal 2, Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Among Thieves, Drake's Deception, and HALO Reach.

I meant everything ELSE about Nintendo since July 2008. I do give Nintendo credit for the 7 titles I dyed purple, but the thing is, most of the gaming community asserts that that PS3 and XBOX360, within the scope of 2009 through 2012, has blown Nintendo's library out of the water, with such games as Mass Effect 2, BioShock 2, Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War 3, Skyrim, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat '011, Portal 2, Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Among Thieves, Drake's Deception, and HALO Reach.

So all platforms had a good number of awesome games.

So all platforms had a good number of awesome games

Well, not to THAT extent. Those 13 or so good games for PS3 and 360 were all made in a mere 3 1/2 years. Nintendo took from 2006 to 2011 (a span of 5 1/2 years, more than 50% longer) to make about that many good games. Throw in the good games from 2006 through 2008 for PS3 and 360, and they've probably got about 30 in total, dwarfing Nintendo's 15-20.

To Neblix: There's been some easy games made by various companies in the past decade or so but Epic Yarn is the biggest cakewalk since the first part of the New Super Mario Bros subseries (DS, 2006).

And why do I complain about something that happened 4 years ago? Because all I've ever heard about the Wii since then was broken promises, Nintendo going downhill, how more gamers harbor bad feelings against the Wii than the other two systems combined, and how basically gamers in general just think the Wii was not a good game system.

To PriZm: About the wording of "Nintendo loyalist"... Don't you remember in the early 2000s, after the N64's life cyle ended, when only a handful of gamers stood by Nintendo, but the vast majority turned their attention to the PlayStation 2 and XBOX? Very few gamers remained loyal to Nintendo and bought a GameCube. Nobody I've ever heard from considers the GCN that great of a success. And most people who I've heard looking back at gaming since 2002 consider the PS2 and XBOX to both be vastly superior to the GCN.

To everyone else: Tell me I've been spoon-fed Kool-Aid from Fox News or wherever, but it's not that I hate Nintendo, but rather I'm under the impression that the predominant gamers love Sony/PlayStation and Microsoft/XBOX and spit on Nintendo.

Edited by GTAHater836

I don't see why the opinion of the "majority" of gamers should be what guides your decision of buying a WiiU.

I bought a Wii when Smash. Bros came out and then bought other titles that were good. I guess I'll do something similar with Wii U, buy it when a game I really want comes out and then buy other titles. There's no need for so much drama.

I don't see why the opinion of the "majority" of gamers should be what guides your decision of buying a WiiU.

I bought a Wii when Smash. Bros came out and then bought other titles that were good. I guess I'll do something similar with Wii U, buy it when a game I really want comes out and then buy other titles. There's no need for so much drama.

Maybe it's because they made me realize the quality of Nintendo's product has been dropping year by year while other developers continue to shine, perhaps?!?! And made me question why I still hold on to Nintendo?!

And if you can convince me Nintendo's quality is as high as ever, then perhaps one of you wouldn't mind answering what makes a Nintendo fan self-loathe or become ashamed of it?

Edited by GTAHater836

Well, not to THAT extent. Those 13 or so good games for PS3 and 360 were all made in a mere 3 1/2 years. Nintendo took from 2006 to 2011 (a span of 5 1/2 years, more than 50% longer) to make about that many good games. Throw in the good games from 2006 through 2008 for PS3 and 360, and they've probably got about 30 in total, dwarfing Nintendo's 15-20.

Riiiight, because MICROSOFT and SONY make so many games.

As far as I'm aware, out of all those games you mentioned for the PS3 and 360, the ONLY ones actually made by the console developer were the Uncharted games, and even those were only second party games. The others are all third party games, which are either multi platform and, in some cases, now coming to the WiiU.

So, let's try this again: How many games has SONY or MICROSOFT made since 2006?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Those 15-20 NINTENDO developed games don't look so paltry now, do they?

As for Animal Crossing City Folk and Wii Music: I actually love both these games. I sunk over 140 hours into Animal Crossing, and I have a blast fooling around with the instruments in Wii Music and recording each instrument to a song separately to create the perfect cover. And, as I hope I have made clear, I am a pretty "hardcore" gamer.

And really? You're making your purchases based on what everyone else likes? Your avatar is an Electroplankton. How many copies did that game sell, again?

If you don't like the kind of games Nintendo is making anymore, that's fine. But you shouldn't refuse to support them because a bunch of other people dislike Nintendo. If you don't want to play Nintendo, then don't.

I always was, am and always will be a NIntendo fan, and the Wii is one of my favorite consoles of all time. Not only does it have some of my favorite games of all time (Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy) but the wealth of First Party Nintendo games are top notch AND it has access to a wide selection of classic games, making it one of the most versatile gaming systems of all time.

Are Nintendo or their games perfect? No, of course not, but they make the games that I want to play, and that is good enough reason for me to stay a Nintendo fan.

Edited by Overflow

Riiiight, because MICROSOFT and SONY make so many games.

As far as I'm aware, out of all those games you mentioned for the PS3 and 360, the ONLY ones actually made by the console developer were the Uncharted games, and even those were only second party games. The others are all third party games, which are either multi platform and, in some cases, now coming to the WiiU.

So, let's try this again: How many games has SONY or MICROSOFT made since 2006?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Those 15-20 NINTENDO developed games don't look so paltry now, do they?

As for Animal Crossing City Folk and Wii Music: I actually love both these games. I sunk over 140 hours into Animal Crossing, and I have a blast fooling around with the instruments in Wii Music and recording each instrument to a song separately to create the perfect cover. And, as I hope I have made clear, I am a pretty "hardcore" gamer.

And really? You're making your purchases based on what everyone else likes? Your avatar is an Electroplankton. How many copies did that game sell, again?

If you don't like the kind of games Nintendo is making anymore, that's fine. But you shouldn't refuse to support them because a bunch of other people dislike Nintendo. If you don't want to play Nintendo, then don't.

I always was, am and always will be a NIntendo fan, and the Wii is one of my favorite consoles of all time. Not only does it have some of my favorite games of all time (Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy) but the wealth of First Party Nintendo games are top notch AND it has access to a wide selection of classic games, making it one of the most versatile gaming systems of all time.

Are Nintendo or their games perfect? No, of course not, but they make the games that I want to play, and that is good enough reason for me to stay a Nintendo fan.

Before I ask my next question, these are the 15 Wii games I think make the system close to being "a good video game system" (but I'm constantly questioning whether these are enough):

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Super Mario Galaxy

No More Heroes

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Mario Kart Wii

Mad World

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Monster Hunter Tri

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Kirby's Return to DreamLand

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Now here's the question: When so many core gamers think of the Wii, why don't they think of the aforementioned 15 games? I know the stereotype of the Wii is all those mini-game collections and the White Four, the software they say is the worst the console has to offer... but why don't they think the same things with the PS3's and 360's worst games? Perhaps one reason I let the rest of the gaming community get to me is because the predominant gamer stereotypes the Wii with its worst software and the... adult systems +1... with their best software. Perhaps you have some better insights into this bias on the part of majority gamers?

Footnote 1: The words "adult system" are for lack of a better collective term. Not that I could much recommend the GCN or Wii to those under 10, but it's less obvious than with PlayStation and XBOX consoles.

Just like I said. All platforms had a good number of awesome games. Maybe those aren't your type of games. That's cool. They're my type of games though. While I do have a PS3, I didn't enjoy many of the 'AAA' games that came out on it. I use it as a great downloadable games machine (Flow, Flower, Journey, PixelJunk series, Fat Princess, etc..) and BluRay/Netflix device. I had a really hard time finding the fun in any blockbuster series this gen that wasn't on Nintendo systems, save for the Uncharted series. Doesn't make them all bad games, I just didn't enjoy them.

Just because I personally didn't like the majority of the games on the PS3 doesn't mean that it isn't "a good video game system". You liking a game has little to do with if it was "good".

Also, when I hear the words "core gamers", I think of 12 year olds playing Call of Duty all day and bros chillin with their Natty Ice and Madden. It's a meaningless term, and shouldn't even be used for lack of a better one.