The E3 2011 Thread (Microsoft Press Briefing is over and done. Discuss)

Well guys and girls, it's E3 time, and unless the mods want to do differently, I figured I'd just make one big thread and just update the title as events happen.

Actually, it's usually one topic each for the Big Three, with specific threads for individual games.

Well, Mass Effect 3 is now a Kinect game, so you get to speak your conversation options.

Yay?

I thought Tomb Raider looked like poop. And the guy talking about it pronounced her name Lair-Uh. Come on man. It's pronounced like LAURA not LAIR-UH. You'd think a guy who worked on this game for years would know this. :-)

I thought the majority of the conference was rubbish. I was honestly surprised to suddenly see the ending of Halo 3 get extended into what's gonna be Halo 4. :-P And Modern Warfare 3 looked pretty awesome and chaotic.

Now just to wait for the sony one at 8pm est? z_z

Also NEVERDEAD looks amazing, and the graphics in Battlefield 3 seem unbelievable

EDIT: Few minutes ETA for the EA Conference

It's pronounced like LAURA not LAIR-UH

loooooool, nice work man. at least you've obviously played any of the games with voiceovers.

halo 4-6, halo: ce remake, more gears 3 footage, minecraft, and the new dashboard look all are pretty exciting to me. with halo and gears pretty much the only reason i own two 360s instead of one, that's big stuff.

the kinect stuff - particularly the ME3 and fable stuff - was disappointing at best. the ME3 integration is clearly tacked on, whereas fable just looks terrible (instead of press A to win, now it's waggle to win). fable's a big part of my 360 experience, so seeing where they're going with it isn't cool. the integration with Future Soldier looks awesome, but the shooting element of it isn't very interesting to me as compared to the nice menu integration for the weapon customizations. i like that they're not making many games that require it - it seems that fable is the only primary IP that's getting the treatment, and more because of peter molyneaux than anything else.

the search function - and the voice mapping for TV stuff - is exciting to me. if they bring local programming to the 360, i'm sold for life since there's only satellite where i am. i'm sick of having to prowl atdhe and channelsurfing to find the football game or whatever, and i'm not paying 300$+ for the terrible streaming service the NFL has. a CBS-based stream would be great too, since their web player sucks terribly.

of all that, though, the halo games are the biggest deal for me. i know it's a year off, but halo's the reason that i got into console gaming, and it's most of why i still have a live membership. you can say it's not a big deal, but for me it's awesome to know that they're expanding the canon and not rehashing more old battles like with ODST and reach.

edit: WHOA! cloud saving to xbl? count me in! one of my biggest frustrations has been the inability to access game saves from box to box now that no one uses the memory sticks anymore. even cooler.

Is it just me, or does Star Wars Kinect look really unappealing? Several reasons: it doesn't seem to work very well (notice the delay and missing motions when the person playing starts swinging his arms), you are playing a lightsaber-based game without a lightsaber, and honest, who wants to play a game that involves standing, jumping, and wildly flailing your arms?

Five years ago, I was a huge supporter of Nintendo and felt that motion controls were a really neat idea tht could revolutionize the industry. Looking at the last five years of games, I was wrong. Classic control schemes are the past, present, and future of gaming.

As for the M$ press conference, I give it maybe a C-. Nothing cool, Tomb Raider looks meh-ish and isn't coming out for a year and a half, and Halo 4 just isn't overly impressive. I'm hoping the NGP and Nintendo conferences are better.

Looking at the 2010 and 2011 E3's, it's amazing to see how poorly Microsoft has been presenting themselves! Don't they get it?! They accomplish less and less the more they promote that (beep)ing Kinect! In 2010, every gamer around me spat on Microsoft's press conference. They found Sony's a but underwhelming, but if Sony or Nintendo don't do well this time around, I'll declare E3 2011 among the weakest links! Then I probably wouldn't look forward to E3 2012.