Final Fantasy XIII-2's Chobobo theme

KyleJCrb

Just want to echo the crits on FFXIII.

I played for hours and hours, gave the game a HUGE chance, until I got to the Carnival w/e place. I never give up on games, but this game... this game... I felt I had been duped into playing it for that long. I realized that I was only playing for the last ten + hours or so in hopes that it would get better. That is not a good motivation for anything.

When I got to the Carnival area, and they had this "minigame" where I chased the annoying-as-all-hell baby chocobo in a hide and seek match that a pre-schooler could finish... I literally found myself as mildly angry. Where's the challenge? Why did they even put that scene there... To annoy the shit out of me? Was that even a mini-game? What was the point? It all accumulated to that point. I was controlling a dude with a chocobo in his afro who looks like he's 30 but acts/speaks with the maturity of a 15 year-old. And I'm supposed to be showing this red-headed annoying some sort of Aussie accented girl that I actually couldn't stand, even after significant character development, a fun innocent time by literally just walking on a straight path for an hour.

And for that matter... It literally got to the point here where I would walk a little, completely unable to interact at all with my surroundings, running to invisible walls hoping for something interesting, and then a cutscene would happen. After that cutscene would happen, I would walk about twenty more steps, and another cutscene would happen, and again, and again. Why bother letting me control my characters at all? To make sure we haven't fallen asleep out of boredom?

Then of course, the bad guys come, and we start battling our way out of the Carnival, that I had zero fun in, don't even know why I am there (at least I can't remember), with a battle/XP system that gives you two characters that suck together, doesn't let you have any choices on your power ups, won't let you progress in levels past a certain point, and conveniently pits you against enemies that are annoying as shit to kill, where you pretty much have no choice but to auto-battle for extended periods of time against weak enemies, and realize that the ability that would make even the smallest amount of strategic difference is something you can't even have yet, or is on someone else who is also being paired up with a shitty partner.

The best I can say is the environments were nice, the music was okay, the story was mundane when it wasn't annoying and confusing, and the gameplay was either extremely boring, frustrating, or both. Give me my 30 hours back please :)

Just want to echo the crits on FFXIII.

I played for hours and hours, gave the game a HUGE chance, until I got to the Carnival w/e place. I never give up on games, but this game... this game... I felt I had been duped into playing it for that long. I realized that I was only playing for the last ten + hours or so in hopes that it would get better. That is not a good motivation for anything.

When I got to the Carnival area, and they had this "minigame" where I chased the annoying-as-all-hell baby chocobo in a hide and seek match that a pre-schooler could finish... I literally found myself as mildly angry. Where's the challenge? Why did they even put that scene there... To annoy the shit out of me? Was that even a mini-game? What was the point? It all accumulated to that point. I was controlling a dude with a chocobo in his afro who looks like he's 30 but acts/speaks with the maturity of a 15 year-old. And I'm supposed to be showing this red-headed annoying some sort of Aussie accented girl that I actually couldn't stand, even after significant character development, a fun innocent time by literally just walking on a straight path for an hour.

And for that matter... It literally got to the point here where I would walk a little, completely unable to interact at all with my surroundings, running to invisible walls hoping for something interesting, and then a cutscene would happen. After that cutscene would happen, I would walk about twenty more steps, and another cutscene would happen, and again, and again. Why bother letting me control my characters at all? To make sure we haven't fallen asleep out of boredom?

Then of course, the bad guys come, and we start battling our way out of the Carnival, that I had zero fun in, don't even know why I am there (at least I can't remember), with a battle/XP system that gives you two characters that suck together, doesn't let you have any choices on your power ups, won't let you progress in levels past a certain point, and conveniently pits you against enemies that are annoying as shit to kill, where you pretty much have no choice but to auto-battle for extended periods of time against weak enemies, and realize that the ability that would make even the smallest amount of strategic difference is something you can't even have yet, or is on someone else who is also being paired up with a shitty partner.

The best I can say is the environments were nice, the music was okay, the story was mundane when it wasn't annoying and confusing, and the gameplay was either extremely boring, frustrating, or both. Give me my 30 hours back please :)

So, I haven't played XIII, but to be honest that was kind of how I felt about X. Except that everyone seemed to love that game. What's up with that?

So, I haven't played XIII, but to be honest that was kind of how I felt about X. Except that everyone seemed to love that game. What's up with that?

Same, tbh. Not to mention I predicted 99% of the "story twists" by the time Rikku finds Zidane washed up the first time (~1 hour in?), which, I will put up with almost ANYTHING in a game except a story that I can predict dozens of hours ahead of time.

Although I felt like X had better music than 13, too. And a more enjoyable battle system.

Anyway. Back on topic - this seriously feels like a low point in FF music to me, unless it turns out to be a joke/bonus track or something. But I'm really not holding out hope.

my biggest hit on most of you all is that half of you gave up on the game before the parts that really made it good

now here's the thing, this was far from my game of the year but i had a really nice time playing through it. it had its moments where i was like 'ok this is cool let's move on to the next important thing' but in older games you literally grind in one area because you have to, until you can move through the next one. so while you're grinding at least there's an endpoint instead of 'UNTIL YOU'RE POWERFUL ENOUGH TO BEAT THE THING WITH THE SPELLS.' i think its telling that some people consider the area where you literally do nothing BUT grind as the redeeming part of the game. like, are we really hardwired to that degree?

at the beginning of the game, i was like 'some of these characters are pretty meh.' sazh was awesome the whole time, lightning was ok, snow was 'shut up about your hero shit' and hope was mildly annoying. vanille was vanille. whatever that means.

but by the end of the game pretty much everyone but snow had redeemed themselves into likeable people, and snow was passable. the interaction between sazh and vanille was as genuine, to me at least, as it gets in games.

people can complain all they want about the battle system but i just don't see how its so markedly different and terrible from what's been done in the past. auto battle is what you would have done 90% of the time anyways, and its really not hard to pick your own spells if you have better ideas. i used my own configurations all the time it really wasn't hard.

the linear complaints i'm fine with if that bugs you then it does and that's all there is to it. for me, there were times where it would have been nice to branch out but i mean hell, books don't give you opportunities to branch out (except for 'choose your own adventure books'). now a pulitzer prize winner this ain't but it's a game made to tell a story that's a big part of what final fantasy games are. if they made a zelda game like this i might be upset, but that's a situation that in no way calls for it. here, it feasibly can be.

it's not that i think this was the best game of the year, or even close, i just think its crazy that literally all of you are deadpanning a game that was well-made. 13-2 will almost undoubtedly be better and i'm happy about that but fuck.

edit: also i seem to remember when 13 was coming out that 'my hands' song was supposed to be the theme song and i don't remember hearing it in the game, once. so keep that in mind while thinking about this chocobo song. also think about how many times you will likely hear this chocobo song in game if it does get used.

I liked 13, until I fought the final boss and he got down to like 500,000 HP and then killed me with a merciless onslaught of his super moves. Like, what the hell, man.

Yeah, the areas suffered from some serious hallway syndrome, but I think the designers were trying to convey a sense of distance travelled. You're supposed to feel like you've come a LONG way between the Vile Peaks and Palumpolum.

ff13 was a really bad game but I also think that a lot of complaints aimed at it can also be applied to every other final fantasy game

Hey Bleck I think I saw a few more Nintendo detractors over at the Mario 3D Land thread.

I guess the one thing that annoyed me about FFXIII was how long the Whitewood chapter dragged on. Everything before and after that was pretty fine to me.

FFXII really had an amazing battle system. That was the best direction they could have taken it.

Final Fantasy XII was amazing for a lot of reasons, including the ADB and Gambit systems. Of course for some reason, the fanbase(or a dumbass subsection of it that just happened to be very vocal) decided that it was terrible. I guess Matsuno's style must have been too much for the Nomura-worshiping, neo-animetard and female fanbase, so they went back to Toriyama and his FFX crew.

ff12 battle system was ok. I liked how you could set it to different things like for healing, and stuff.

But FF7 had the best battle system. Materia is where it's at. FF8 had the second-best, drawing magic from enemies and adding its power to your stats was incredible.

i will say while i liked the ff7 battle system it was pretty much a dumbed down version of tactics where everyone does everything and no character needed to have any specialization whatsoever

it doesn't make it un-fun but it's not exactly layered either

FFXII really had an amazing battle system.

see a lot of people tend to say this even though it was almost exactly the same as every single other ff battle system except for the cool little mechanic where you uh get the game to play itself I guess

the thing about the final fantasy series is that I don't think people actually have any idea what they're talking about when they say good or bad things about it

Final Fantasy XII was amazing for a lot of reasons, including the ADB and Gambit systems. Of course for some reason, the fanbase(or a dumbass subsection of it that just happened to be very vocal) decided that it was terrible. I guess Matsuno's style must have been too much for the Nomura-worshiping, neo-animetard and female fanbase, so they went back to Toriyama and his FFX crew.

this is hypocritical on so many levels

I think the logic got lost in the sarcasm and they somehow negated each other in this sentence. :-?

he's pretty much spot on actually

i like the ff games in general including 12 but the battle system was literally 'preset what your team will do and then kind of control the other one character'

at least in 13 you have some direct control over what the other two people in your team will do without going into a menu for twenty minutes to decide how their logic should work

just because bleck talks like a jerk doesn't mean he doesn't have valid points because he usually does. or is blowing up someone with a dumb opinion which also happens from time to time

just because bleck talks like a jerk doesn't mean he doesn't have valid points because he usually does. or is blowing up someone with a dumb opinion which also happens from time to time

Neither is the case here though.

There are huge differences between FFXII's battle system and any of its predecessors. Most of which I liked. And I feel that the comparisons between 13's system vs. 12 that you just made up there kind of misses the point of what 12 was about.

They just aren't all that similar, and I prefer not to generalize.

I really liked XII, the gambit system was so much fun!

The story really was terrible though, so I can see why a lot of people didn't like it.

Also, although I didn't hate the soundtrack, I do feel like it was the worst of the series so far.

I thought the gambit system was really fun, myself.

The storyline was pretty simple, imo, but that's one reason I ended up liking it. I knew who my enemy was, I knew what my goals were, and I liked the lack of mushy gushy romance. I didn't have to watch Balthier trying to get it on with the ladies, and I didn't have to worry about a switcheroo at the end and fight some baddie I couldn't care less about. (Hi Ultimecia)

I remember being less than thrilled when I found out Uematsu wasn't doing the soundtrack but it actually ended up being one of my favorites in the series. It doesn't hurt that I'm a gigantic Sakimoto fan. After 12 I was so much more receptive to other composers working on FF music.

As you aren't into the FF12 OST, I'm curious if you like (or are familiar with) Hitoshi Sakimoto's work in other games?