Final Fantasy XIII-2's Chobobo theme

KyleJCrb

It really did get better once you got to pulse, but that was no excuse for the shockingly linear shit-show that was the first half of that game.

It was like the most boring, whiny, soulless and tedious soul trapped in the most attractive women in the world. I gave it a chance and occasionally lost my breath, but was ultimately disappointed in myself for not realizing how unhappy I was sooner.

It really did get better once you got to pulse, but that was no excuse for the shockingly linear shit-show that was the first half of that game.

It was like the most boring, whiny, soulless and tedious soul trapped in the most attractive women in the world. I gave it a chance and occasionally lost my breath, but was ultimately disappointed in myself for not realizing how unhappy I was sooner.

sigh

a) you do realize how many of your 'favorite all time games' are 'shockingly linear' right. i don't understand how

you could possibly enjoy mega man, classic mario or sonic, platformers period, and every shooter that's not skyrim. (GLITCHES COOL GOTY!!!!!!11!) if you want to complain about a lack of sidequests before pulse go right ahead. lack of longevity, go right ahead. but linearity as a concept is not a bad thing and everyone has to get it out of their goddamn heads that you need a sandbox for a game to be good. that's just dumb.

as a side note i fucking hate when people are all 'hey look in this fable game you can get married SO MUCH FREEDOM' or 'THERE ARE SO MANY OPTIONS IN MORROWIND' because while that's true none of those options do anything. they're just there so you can say so it has no effect on gameplay whatsoever. sidequesting for something that makes a difference in the game, such as a new technique or character or plot twist, is good. sidequesting for an item that's a little bit stronger than the item you have now or for some superficial thing such as the aforementioned is reeeeeetarded

B) just because there wasn't an autobattle function in earlier FF titles doesn't mean that it wasn't what you were doing most of the time anyways. once you find a weakness you exploit it, it just cuts out the having to look up a spell in a huge list while your enemy hits you

c) i get why people don't like the story but something to consider is that making a huge game like FF and then translating it into English is pretty much an impossible task. as a japanese speaker i can see where some of the crappy 'wtf is this' moments came from and its not really an excuse but unless you want FF games to come out 2 years after they do in japan and have a USA version there's no other alternative really. other than just subbing instead of dubbing but everyone in the world is super offended if everything is not in english

i maintain my theory that if someone released FF13 in 1993 with no changes outside of 8bit graphics and text-box conversations that it would have been heralded as an amazing game just the same way everyone loves 3 and 4

edit: AS ANOTHER NOTE one of the bullet points near the top of the list of storytelling is having a believable cast. one of the things about having a believable cast is there being characters that aren't likable. everyone in the cast has at least one major/notable personality flaw, and are all kinda jerks/wimpy/ditzy from the beginning of the game. the entire point is as you move through it you get people's motivations and their behavior becomes more admissable. by the end i liked everyone, probably vanille most of all (which was a big switch from the start of the game)

sigh

a) you do realize how many of your 'favorite all time games' are 'shockingly linear' right. i don't understand how

you could possibly enjoy mega man, classic mario or sonic, platformers period, and every shooter that's not skyrim. (GLITCHES COOL GOTY!!!!!!11!) if you want to complain about a lack of sidequests before pulse go right ahead. lack of longevity, go right ahead. but linearity as a concept is not a bad thing and everyone has to get it out of their goddamn heads that you need a sandbox for a game to be good. that's just dumb.

as a side note i fucking hate when people are all 'hey look in this fable game you can get married SO MUCH FREEDOM' or 'THERE ARE SO MANY OPTIONS IN MORROWIND' because while that's true none of those options do anything. they're just there so you can say so it has no effect on gameplay whatsoever. sidequesting for something that makes a difference in the game, such as a new technique or character or plot twist, is good. sidequesting for an item that's a little bit stronger than the item you have now or for some superficial thing such as the aforementioned is reeeeeetarded

B) just because there wasn't an autobattle function in earlier FF titles doesn't mean that it wasn't what you were doing most of the time anyways. once you find a weakness you exploit it, it just cuts out the having to look up a spell in a huge list while your enemy hits you

c) i get why people don't like the story but something to consider is that making a huge game like FF and then translating it into English is pretty much an impossible task. as a japanese speaker i can see where some of the crappy 'wtf is this' moments came from and its not really an excuse but unless you want FF games to come out 2 years after they do in japan and have a USA version there's no other alternative really. other than just subbing instead of dubbing but everyone in the world is super offended if everything is not in english

i maintain my theory that if someone released FF13 in 1993 with no changes outside of 8bit graphics and text-box conversations that it would have been heralded as an amazing game just the same way everyone loves 3 and 4

edit: AS ANOTHER NOTE one of the bullet points near the top of the list of storytelling is having a believable cast. one of the things about having a believable cast is there being characters that aren't likable. everyone in the cast has at least one major/notable personality flaw, and are all kinda jerks/wimpy/ditzy from the beginning of the game. the entire point is as you move through it you get people's motivations and their behavior becomes more admissable. by the end i liked everyone, probably vanille most of all (which was a big switch from the start of the game)

Bro just let it rest. The internet armchair "experts" have spoken.

If anything however, FFXIII was quite the miracle considering that the devs themselves have admitted that they themselves didn't know where the hell they wanted to go with the game until way late in the game's dev cycle. Hell, if it wasn't for the fact that the game is named "Final Fantasy", then it might have had the same fate as Metal Gear Rising before Platinum stepped in. I think the game came out rather nicely despite the rush job.

From all sources however it seems that Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a much, MUCH better game than its predecessor, so to put the game down because of one terribad(which makes it unbelievably awesome) track is a bit extreme. At least it isn't as bad as the My Hands debacle.

Of course hating on Square-Enix is still in vogue and probably will be for awhile, so do your thing internet.

I seem to have struck a nerve.

I didn't try to suggest that sandboxes are better games. That WOULD be dumb, which is why I didn't do it.

I've done an extensive comparison of FFX and FF13 and how they are fundamentally both very linear games, but X feels like an exploration whereas XIII feels like a corridor. You can have a linear experience that is crafted to feel like exploration and it is fantastic. See portal, half-life, earlier FF games etc.

No one can convince me that the linearity in XIII was the good kind of crafted linearity, it's painfully obvious it was thrown together (see below).

Fair-enough, but we like some degree of control. Even FF12 let you specifically choose how your auto-battle acted through gambits, and for that matter how your non-controlled allies acted.

FFX is a game hampered by translation.

FFXIII is a game hampered by having no director for most of it's development. Have you ever noticed that the plot is basically short conversations at the start and end of every area, with nothing to do with the area they are in? It's because the dev team were just instructed to make tons of beautiful levels (which they did admirably) and they just connected them end on end and threw a plot at it.

It's pretty well documented, just google it. It's also the reason FFXIII-2 exists. They made too many levels and didn't want to waste them. Not kidding.

You're probably right, but standards are higher now so it's fairly irrelevant.

I seem to have struck a nerve.

I didn't try to suggest that sandboxes are better games. That WOULD be dumb, which is why I didn't do it.

I've done an extensive comparison of FFX and FF13 and how they are fundamentally both very linear games, but X feels like an exploration whereas XIII feels like a corridor. You can have a linear experience that is crafted to feel like exploration and it is fantastic. See portal, half-life, earlier FF games etc.

No one can convince me that the linearity in XIII was the good kind of crafted linearity, it's painfully obvious it was thrown together (see below).

Fair-enough, but we like some degree of control. Even FF12 let you specifically choose how your auto-battle acted through gambits, and for that matter how your non-controlled allies acted.

FFX is a game hampered by translation.

FFXIII is a game hampered by having no director for most of it's development. Have you ever noticed that the plot is basically short conversations at the start and end of every area, with nothing to do with the area they are in? It's because the dev team were just instructed to make tons of beautiful levels (which they did admirably) and they just connected them end on end and threw a plot at it.

It's pretty well documented, just google it. It's also the reason FFXIII-2 exists. They made too many levels and didn't want to waste them. Not kidding.

You're probably right, but standards are higher now so it's fairly irrelevant.

Yeah what does this have to do with the FFXIII-2 Chocobo Theme?

At this point there's no turning back time and returning the series to what made it great, so I say we need more of stuff like this. The less serious that FF takes itself, the better it usually is.

moar plox

the only thing that 'made it great' compared to now was 2d sprites, text boxes, and the fact that you were younger and dumber than you are now

the only thing that 'made it great' compared to now was 2d sprites, text boxes, and the fact that you were younger and dumber than you are now

i like to think i'm dumber now than i was 10 years ago.

also, no. what made it great back then was the fact that they created a game that was within their means instead of shooting for something they could never achieve.

You know, you were kidding with the whole "text box" thing, but I find I like a lot of Japanese games BETTER without the voice acting. All that anime dialogue isn't so bad if it is just text that you read. Take Vanille from FF13. Damn, that bitch is super annoying. If I didn't have to listen to her goofy voice and could just hurriedly read through her lines at my own pace, I bet I could tolerate her.

On a more serious note, FF was better back in the day as the series was pushing the boundaries of what games could do with story. It's not really doing that anymore and games are so expensive to make now the entire game industry has had to cut back the scope of what they can offer with a single game. I guess this is why everything is some trilogy where they eke out the plot slowly. That's why I don't have much traffic with modern big budget games. My expectations were set by the SNES and PSX era. I expect to more bang for my buck than the game industry can currently offer.

OK, I'm seeing Scuba Divers mentions and whatnot.

WHO IS MAN ENOUGH TO MAKE THE FIRST OC REMIX OF THIS, SO WE CAN POST IT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON?

P.S. This theme is hilariously incredible, I don't care what anyone says! :lol:

I'd do it if by soooooooooooon you didn't mean "in 2 years". :lol:

I MAY DO IT ANYWAY JUST DUE TO THE SHEER AWESOMENESS OF IT.

This rendition is not my thing, but if others like it more power to them. At this point I figure it's pointless arguing over which FF games were the best and what the glory days were. People are gonna like what they like.

I think Squeenix can still do something good with FF, as I've seen great stuff from them even after the NES and SNES era many love. Which I love too, but I'd go as far to say that FF 12 is my favorite of the series. I think they tried something different there and were successful about it. But trying new things with a series like this has its risks. Some will bite, some won't. I don't think the whole soundtrack is going to be disappointing though. For all the bad I've heard of 13, it's rarely regarding the soundtrack and I don't think it'll be different with 13-2's.

So anyone find the lyrics for this yet? I've seen some written out on youtube..

GAS EM UP WITH THE GREENS AND LET EM GO!!

STAND BACK STAND CLEAR AS HE PUTS ON A SHOW!

SO CUTE YET FEIRCE IS HE FROM HELL?!?!!

I CANNOT TELL YET I DONT EVEN WANNA KNOW!!

So you want to be a trailblazer...?

Kick the dirt like a hellraiser...?

Take the reigns but dont react slow

Its time to feel the force....OF THE CHOCOBO!!!!!!

Ok, THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKBld76VVqk&feature=related

This song alone just sold me on this game. I need less video game soundtracks that are generic orchestral bullshit and more video game soundtracks that are techno pop music. Damnit Japan, why does your game industry have to be on the decline when we can finally have games with music like this.

Derrit, bro, I am usually with you on opinions, but I can't back you up on this one.

The only good thing that came out of 13 was Hope, and sadly everyone hates him because he is the only character that seemed relatable *apparently being sad that your mom died in front of you because a dumb fuck with the worst "IM A HERO" cocky one-dimensional personality that had this idea to run a group of "rebels" to save people and ended up only having them fucking killed is a bad thing and makes you whiny man i dont get people*.

Everything else about FF13 was seriously bad. The worst thing about it was that the story was never explained through proper exposition. You had to read a fucking log after events played out. What the fuck is that about? That is horrible.

On topic: The track is really flat-out god awful. It represents perfectly the overall quality of FF13.

Also, the game isn't linear. The game is fucking on rails. When I played ff13, it felt like I was playing a rpg version of Starfox.

if it was a parody, id say this track is fucking brilliant

its not though :(

I'm still hoping it's some kind of tongue-in-cheek joke that the music department got in bed with the PR department over.

"Hey guys! Let's totally mess with American consumers and make them think there's stuff like that actually IN the game! Ha ha, it'll make for great buzz!"

But deep down inside, I know the truth. :-/