OCR00537 - Mario Paint "Load/Save the Last Trip-Hop for Me"

orkybash

Mario Paint 'Load/Save the Last Trip-Hop for Me'

Gah - I'm loath to criticize anything that Disco Dan does, since I honestly love his stuff, but something about this song grates on my nerves. I can tell DD put effort into making this sound good, but I think he didn't have very great source material to work with here - listen to the song and you'll see what I mean. It's like trying to get a wonderful acting job using the Episode 2 script... the source material is crap to begin with, so there's not much you can do to make it wonderful. So I guess I'm saying I don't like this mix, but it's not DD's fault - it's Mario Paint's.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been a while since I heard this song. And I can't play Mario Paint anymore because the my SNES ac input shorted out or something :( The original was groovy enough, but this mix raised the notch.

I don't really know what the complaints were about, but I enjoyed the basslines, drums, everything. Must be due to all that 90's hard house I've been listening to, because that's basically what the structure feels like. My biggest gripe is that you could've really built more onto the melody.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i just feel like reviewing disco dan's masterpieces hehe.

right now, its on this one.

me and my wife jam to this jam. we have our own dance moves to it. haha. we do a special robot dance to it.

discop dan, if u can make us have a geeky dance to a song u remixed, then its a success.

• 1 year later...

Honestly, I did not like this mix at all when I first heard it. Although, listening to it a little bit, I really started to get into it. It brought back memories of Mario Paint, and it really made good use of an otherwise, confusing song. I never could figure out why it took ages for it to save, nor why there was a robot, and such a strange repetitive song playing... But DD, you have shed light upon all of that, and saved Mario Paint... For me at least.

I find myself grooving to this every time it comes on my player. It's just one of those aquired tastes :wink:

• 8 months later...

Nothing special... it SOUNDED like it was gonna be good, but was kind of a let-down to hear the piece to the end and realize it had plateaued from the very beginning. All he does is take the rhythm from the original game and make it longer?

Sorry dude, try harder.

• 4 months later...

I have to admit, I was expecting a bit more from a DiscoDan track. It follows the original pretty explicitly, and though it's cool because i haven't heard this song in almost a decade, and it's the game that got me into my lucrative profession (oh yeah, thank you mario paint, i never did thank you), this track does all kinds of dropouts and subtle additons, but it feels like it's just treading water. It's got as good groove, but never really goes anywhere.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This game has some of the most unusual music from anything I've ever played. I think I like this mix better the more I listen to it. It's not my favorite mix, but it's an interesting take on an almost-random sequence of electronic effects. Given the source material, you did a good job with it.

I hadn't thought about this particular song in years. Now I'm thinking about playing Mario Paint again, which is probably what initially inspired me to go into the graphic design profession.

• 4 months later...

I remember this song very well, and I do know that Disco Dan tried his best with what he had to work with. It's a trippy tune, and I like that it remained as such. The sounds are very close to those used in the original as it really only had a few musical areas to work with that ended so fast that not much could be pulled from them.

What gives this song character, though, is the arrangement of each of those short sections. Sure, there is a lot of repetition, but it's broken up by combining different elements of the song with others and also stacking the beats and sounds on top of each other. That's what kept me interested.

• 6 months later...

What's cool about this is how often things change up throughout. Things are being dropped and added almost every 10 seconds. It keeps your attention.

Just like the source, though, this doesn't really develop. After about 2 minutes I was ready for this one to be done. By that point I felt like there wasn't anything else that could be pulled from the source. I'd have to say this one just goes on too long for such a short melody to begin with that doesn't have a real melody. I would have been far happier with something half the length of this one.

• 7 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00537 - Mario Paint "Load/Save the Last Trip-Hop for Me"