Thanks OCR 2011

Brandon Strader

Hi! This is probably something that would have been more fitting on an OCR Blog, but as those weren't released in 2011, I may just say these things here. And yeah Dave and all you guys at OCR, forgive me for ribbing on you about not releasing the new site version yet. :lmassoff:

MAGFest is coming right up, and it will be my second time going. I liked it so much last year, after having been somewhat skeptical about it, actually experiencing it made me decide that I HAVE to go again. Sure the Jamspace is great, Earthbound Papas, and the panels... but I'm really going to see all the amazing people I met last year, as well as meeting new people this year. For me, seeing all the people from this great community is the main draw, everything else is just icing on the cake.

2011 was, to be honest, a crappy year, but not on OC ReMix. I enjoyed every single remix I heard on the site in 2011 and I am thankful for them, and to be a part of the community. I saw a few threads from newcomers to the forums over the last year giving thanks to OCR for all of the greatness over the last what, 11 years? Or is it more now? Anyway this is my thread of thanks to everyone who participated in the site, whether it was just in a friendly manner or even producing remixes. I'm thankful for everything that has been here and everything that will come in the next year, until our untimely demise in December 2012.

There's too much to put into words and I don't want to seem too "sappy", but just know that this last year on OC ReMix has really been great for me, it always gave me something to look forward to and cheered me up. I remixed for a solid year and now I am starting on another year full of making remixes, and I hope you enjoy them and consider them worthy to sit among the other fantastic works on the site. I've learned so much in the last few months alone, but over the last couple years the improvement is night and day, and I have OCR to thank for all of the gained experience. OCR and the community has had a hand in the quality of my music today. If I could credit you as a co-Remixer on my upcoming remixes, I would.

In conclusion umm.. I've recently moved and am living alone in a recording studio. I would like to formally invite musicians to check the place out next summer, maybe stay a few days and record a song or two. I've got guest rooms, copious amounts of empty space, and good water pressure. There's a KFC one block away. If that didn't sell it, I don't know what will.

Awwwww... you're gonna make me squirt! I mean cry! *WCRG REFERENCE; MOVE ALONG*

But noooo, really, I agree. I went from awfulatmusic several months ago to likely going to have a few remixes accepted once they're all submitted, and a lot of that improvement is due to the critiques and suggestions provided by YOU, OCR. Couple that with my nearly-finished debut EP, and I'd say this has been a pretty whirlwind 6 months of going from nothing to, well, something. Super-special thanks in no particular order go out to Benjamin Briggs, halc, Phonetic Hero, Modus, PROTO☼DOME (best i could do with your stupid dot), Emunator, TheGuitahHeroe, zircon, et al. I'd suck even more without you all :D

Hell, might as well toss in a thank you for the WCRG competition. It really boosted my confidence in my music having others listen to, critique, and vote for it (and I even won a round???! wtffff), and that confidence has encouraged me to keep producing music that, apparently, people enjoy.

I have to agree. OCR was really great this year. It was really only my second year as a part of the community, but I started to get to know people a little bit more, and I was able to listen to some great music/albums.

I also feel like I have improved at making music as well, and hopefully this year I will be submitting a few mixes :).

Seems like everyone cares more about Butts.

Lol Brandon.

Seriously, though, gotta agree - OCR 2011 was awesome, and having several of the albums in particular to anticipate gave me something tangible to look forward to at a few points in my life that were pretty bleak this year. Thanks for all the music and community of this last year, and all the years before too, OCRemix.

EDIT: Btw, hilarious sig, Brandon, very nice.

I'ma post in this positive thread because YEAH.

Well I joined this community in March 2011, so I haven't been around all that long. But I've really enjoyed my time here so far, and I've gotten to know some people through the forums and IRC and its been great. Not to mention the BEAUTIFUL MUSIC. Seriously, I've learned quite a lot since I've come here, and I am sure I will continue to learn more things. Hopefully I will get to know more of you some more too, that would be cool.

I look forward to spending another year here, because I love it here, and you are all super great.

See some of you at MAGFEST!

i haven't much to say really,

i'd been lurking around for about a year before i decided to get an account on the forums just to tell the people who's music i'd been listening to for about a year or so that i loved what they do.

I'm not musically inclined to become a musician (music class at school i fell asleep in most of the time)

I gotta say this year was great, the amount of remixes brought out was insane.

I hope to see more(not litteraly but...you get the idea) from you guys this year.

Your all awesome.

(and to finally have 'Nairobi Hop' see the light of day!).

-D

This. One of the absolute best things to happen to me this year was to finally see Around the World released on the website. 2011 was a year of numerous amazing album releases, and I'm extremely happy to see that the humble semi-obscure NES game remix album that Kyle, all the remixers, and myself put together was able to get into the ears of this great community after so long. It's an interesting feeling to look up the AtW website and the album mixposts and know that I was able to, in some small way, contribute to the one website that I've been a fan of the most.

OCR was the first online forum I joined way back when, and although I forum hop and spend more time lately on social networks, I still consider these forums to be my home on the Internet. I'm looking so forward to meeting the community in person again at MAGFest.

Nice first post Brandon!

For me.. all the projects I had involvement in were released this year, I got to submit a track (I'm very happy about that alone), I got to participate in a couple of cool People's ReMixing Competition rounds.. Actually pretty nice for a year that I haven't really had the time to much anything music-wise (apart from singing to our baby, which is actually very good practice). Also, the huge amount of albums released have provided, alongside the usual postings, a lot to listen to. It's been a good year!

--Eino

I wonder why this thread doesn't grow as fast as that rant from yesterday. That's just wrong.

I'd also like to put my thanks in writing. It's been a good year for me. I became a posted ReMixer, a bunch of my tracks got accepted by the Judges Panel (one even got marked as an automatic post just before Christmas!), and my first project album, ARMed and DANGerous, was released.

I've grown a lot as a musician thanks to OC ReMix. I'd like to thank all the ReMixers for their wonderfully diverse music, and of course the staff/judges, who are basically running a music university AND a record company, all completely free of charge.

Thanks, everyone! Here's to many more great years!

I wasn't 100% happy with 2011 at all. I think I could have reserved more space for me and my friends, my college studies, family, OCR and so on. I did learn a lot from what I went through, but still, on december the 31st I was in a really bad mood.

But I'm very much giving my expectations for 2012 to be one of the best years in my life \o/! Again, like past year. Yeah, oddly I tend to be too optimistic about the future, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I mean, I don't feel that way, and never felt (as far as I remember). :P

and I can't wait for those 3 "to be posted" mixes of mine to finally get the frontpage XD

Ok, 2012 is off to an amazing start already. :-)

OCR panel had Final Fantasy 1 and 2 albums on the list, most people probably haven't even heard of those because they weren't "OCR Official albums" but it was really cool to see them listed there!

I gave Nobuo Uematsu a copy of the FF1 album in person as the band walked past me to enter their soundcheck area. It was amazing.

Also djp said FF1 is coming out Q1 2012! So if you never heard of it, now you done did.

Also I found out that Larry doesn't hate me

I don't know if threads like this will be a yearly tradition, but there's a lot of great stuff coming up in 2012. :-D

Thank you OCR! In 2011, I joined the site after being a lurker for sometime. I started to work on making a remix, it took me four months, starting in September, of test projects to finally start my first remix, which will be in the workshop forum soon. I also managed to make seven friends in about four months, not bad for a new guy. :smile:

2011 was a great year for posted remixes and albums. Mega Man 9, Pokemon, Wild Arms, just to name a few. I can't wait to see what 2012 brings!

EDIT: I've been on the forums of other websites, and none have been as civil and helpful as OC Remix. Thanks everyone!

I'm glad I gave the community a second chance.

Seconded. Rozo scared me away right around the time I registered and posted my first horrible remix which he rightfully picked apart.

Butthurt, I retreated from OCR.

Butthealed, I returned almost a year later, and I'm so glad I did :-)

And like... dude... we've still never hung out :P I think you only live 15 minutes or so from me.